• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1600 mile maintenance?

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
2017 800 Pro 163

Wondering what I should be doing for maintenance on my sled at 1600 miles. I ride a lot and will probably put on another 100 hours and 1000 plus miles this season. I do the general stuff such as greasing everything. Clutching adjustments, new hyfaxes, and shock adjustments.
Put on a new pull cord, stock one had some minor frays.

What else should I be doing to properly prepare my sled? I was thinking motor mounts? The dealership has the sled the end of the season and said the compression was great.
Then the end of this season a MTN TK durability kit as I will be getting a new sled and using this one as a spare/loaner.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Engine sounds fine! I would do engine mounts and have the clutch rebuilt. We have lots of axys engines near 3000 miles. I seams the reeds or injectors will go before the engine, that's what we are seeing anyways.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Engine sounds fine! I would do engine mounts and have the clutch rebuilt. We have lots of axys engines near 3000 miles. I seams the reeds or injectors will go before the engine, that's what we are seeing anyways.

I recall there being a thread on the engine mounts a while back. Do you know if they are a dealership part or are people using something aftermarket?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Get motor mounts out of an 18 and take your primary off and send to indy dan for balance/rebuild plus throw fresh spring in secondary. This should keep it ripping like new.

Check brake pads, i only get 800 miles to a set but i ride them hard. you will probably be fairly worn and will not make it through the season on your stock ones.

Also inspect jackshaft where it slides through the bearing by the belt drive pulley. I've seen numerous ones wear the shaft out there. Easy to pull out and inspect.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
2K on my 16 Axys-
Already replaced jack and drive shaft bearings- just cause I had the track and drive out over the summer getting suspension re-valved .

Suspension........ instead of just greasing it- I pull it completely out and apart and clean the shafts that have no zerks-and re assemble all with
Red Line CV-2 Extreme Pressure Grease.

Last edited:

prorideupper800

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2013
Upper Pennisula of Michigan
I would install 911 billet clutch cover put one on my 16 SKS and have 8400 miles on it with No problems no rebuilds and it still spins 8250 all day long ( I did replace primary spring at 3500) going to replace pistons this fall though just as a precaution.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Mountain ridden sleds don't last 8400 miles LOL. Primary clutch springs will never go 3500 miles out west. My Axys motor lasted 1100 miles, it was on its second primary clutch, motor mounts were shot, exhaust valve cable broke. The failure points for mtn sleds are pretty well documented here. At 1600 mountain miles on an Axys, I needed a whole new sled... YMMV

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Mountain ridden sleds don't last 8400 miles LOL. Primary clutch springs will never go 3500 miles out west. My Axys motor lasted 1100 miles, it was on its second primary clutch, motor mounts were shot, exhaust valve cable broke. The failure points for mtn sleds are pretty well documented here. At 1600 mountain miles on an Axys, I needed a whole new sled... YMMV
X2 i have ~1400 miles and mines in rough shape. Reallyyy need a new one but i just keep dumping thousands into it...

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Well I got bored- and decided to pop the top end on my 16 Axys over this long Labor day Holiday weekend.

Just a tick over 2000 miles.. so I must have got really bored.....
All Mountain miles and turboed since the first 400.

Been running spot on and not any indication of any issues.... Compression checked perfect for my 7,000' elevation at my shop.
No indication's what so- ever - to give me a reason to do a top end look-see
I tore into the EV cable and it looks like new, no issues there... The pistons looked fine and the bore was all within spec's running the bore taper gauge.

BUT....:face-icon-small-sad

I think I just dodged a huge bullet....
No Idea where this really nice gouge came from in one of the wrist pin's but, it would for sure given me fits sometime real soon..........
and a heck of alot more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..... than just stuffing new pistons in....

So Maintenance is in the rider, whenever you feel the urge to turn a wrench..

Axys pin..jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features