• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How happy are you with your XP?

Are you happy with your XP?

• Total voters
S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
There was a similar poll in other mfg sections so I thought we might as well have one here, XP's only!!!

Please vote in the poll.

Elaborate on your experiences as well.

Last edited:
K

kobylka18

Oct 20, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I could not ask for a better sled. It is a blast to ride. The only issues I have with it, one being my fault for aftermarket parts not working out as planned, and the other is I cannot seem to figure out why it sidehills so nicely. There must be something wrong with it, after all the reviews I thought it was going to be difficult. With the prices of the new sleds I think I will stick with my 2010 for awhile though.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
My 09 takes me places in the powder (I mean real powder) I could not get to on any other stock sled I rode, and be fairly comfortable at the same time. If you are a big/tall guy you want to try an XP. Mine has had a few small issues, DPM manifold cracked right off the get go. two handwarmers (both left side) went out, recoil failed one cold day for a couple hours the first month I had it,but started working again and has not missed a beat since. I start my sled alot too because I believe idling is evil and hard on these sleds.

B

bmiller

Nov 26, 2007
stuck in the flats of ND
Too bad they are not setup better out of the box. But my yammies never were either. Didn't like the fact I had to change the springs since I weigh 240# Never had to do that before. Only had an issue with the recoil sticking.

I Love this sled RB clutching, I can go places I never could on my apexmtn. and it is a breeze to ride.

Thinking of doing RKT piston kit w/ head or 860 not sure how much I can spend.

R

Randog

Dec 3, 2007
You had to ask: I have owned 3 new Polaris sleds form 1995,2000,2004 and cats from 1996-2006 new one every year. This is my first ski-doo and may be my last. The good things are the ride is one of the best the rider position is great I feel that I ride it better than the others. The bad to many go back to the dealer things recoil out, clutch blown 300 miles, oil sensor bad, I think that if they would redesign there clutches it would be a much better more reliable sled. You need to have a roll of money to keep one running if it is not in warranty. A drive clutch should go 3000 miles with out any maintenance these days and the other manufacturers do. You need a good pull strap and survival kit if you are going to ride one.

Last edited:
E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
XP

I am more than pleased. I bought a used 08 800 146 this year and love it so far. I have always rode polaris but have never time to have a new one. I also had one 1998 MM600 twin new. This is far and way the best chassis I have ridden. Rider position is great. It took me 2 full hard days to be 100% comfortable on the sled. Now I feel much more comfortable and ride the sled pretty hard without any problems. I bought a hps can and RB clutch kit. It pull hard and keep the R's up pretty well. I have not blown a belt but it is showing wear after 500 miles so I will run a new one next ride. I hope a can get a little more than that out of a belt. Also the left hand warmer does not work and I don't want to fork out 150 buck to fix it. Other than those minor things that are probably fixed on the newer years I love it. I guess the 10 rides even better. Word is that there is an upgrade kit for 500 buck for the older sleds so that might be in the works for the summer. Hope this helps.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
thanks

I asked my dealer and he got into this long thing. I would have been under warranty but I missed it by 3 days.. I did not realize. I will go ahead and fix in then thanks.

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
I have been riding Doo's all my life. Biggest pile of **** I have ever owned. Started out when new that I could destroy a belt in literally 1 pull. Had to reclutch, realign pulleys, add bracing, fix intake, fix sagging suspension. In 2 1/2 seasons riding with huge amount of wrenching time and missed riding, hot grip problems, gauges that don't work, 3 complete clutch rebuilds, fuel gauge that never worked, and now my season ending blown motor I am finished with Doo. The sled works well when it is running. I never saw one that ever layed a smackdown on me, but you can not keep it running there. In 2 1/2 seasons it only made 1 trip to the mountains where it worked for the whole trip without having to wrench at night. Meanwhile my Buddy has 8500km on his 260HP turbo Apex and the worst problem he has had is a blown exhaust bellow recently. I am rebuilding this motor and selling this sled. Thought I could not afford a turbo Yamaha but after adding what I have spent on this sled trying to keep it running including all the oil it uses I can not afford not to build a turbo Nytro.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The XP is a decent sled when it runs. The problem is Doo is in the market of selling parts and engines and belts. They have been since the mid 90's. There is a reason Doo and Polaris are neck and neck in blown engines. If you don't think Doo goes through motors just try and order a short block. Pretty tough to get one right now.

The XP may be refined for 2010 and 11 but i have run in to numerous guys with 2010's with 100-300 miles that were riding rentals because their beloved XP chit itself ! What i don't get is all the brand loyalty on such a piece of junk ! Sure its light ! But the reliability is in the tank !

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
Forgot to mention the complete lack of support from Doo. Try to get any kind of tech support from them is absolutely impossible. They just shield your calls through the girl in the call centre who is of absolutely no use to me. The only way I could get any attention from Doo was when I showed up at their spring show and made a bunch of noise how there sled was junk and that all my same problems still existed on there new sled. Got a few peoples attention then! Didn't really help much but it felt good. Even had to fight for over two years with them to get the rebate that was owed to me. Because of this sled I started becoming very negative towards the entire sport and at one point considered just quitting all together. I have now decided to jump ship and am looking forward to a low maintenance and high mileage year next year on a new MCX turbo Nytro.

Last edited:

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Belt Blower.
Misalignment so bad that even with rev man shim kit was 1.2mm off.
Had to pull the shaft out so much that the top chain case seal started to leak.
Hot Hot Hot clutches
7 Belts / season.

Doodoctor floating secondary - shimmed out 1.5mm more than suggested start point.
Now have much cooler clutches and rpms whack 8300 and stay there.
I tried and tried to destroy a belt on the weekend on a winding race course and could not do it.
Hands down one of best investments for xp sled.

....am buying an Etec in Nov/Dec 2010. I Love the xp chassis.

One could suspect a conspiracy theory - The misalignment and the addition of the 383 belts to replace the 166 is a "Business Plan" to sell a truck load of belts. A most efficient means to keep dealers going to help the dealers pay for the $ interest $ that they owe brp on sleds that sit there that aren't getting sold. Get the customers who come in the door to buy a belt to help pay for the interest. heh heh...

REKXP

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2009
North Idaho
I am very happy with mine. I almost bought an 08 model but didn't for what ever reason and I am glad I didn't. First year models on any brand isn't a real good idea. Let all the bugs get worked out the first year then buy. Hell I am temped to buy the new etec next year but I have to keep telling myself to wait. I know the etec has been around for awhile in the 600 and the Sea Doos but not in the 800. I still might. We will see in November or December....

Premium Features