• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Keeping the 800 alive another year?

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Anyone else going to keep there Axys 800 another year & skip on the 850? I thought about snow-checking for a day & then was like no thanks. I would hate to buy a 2020 then in two years a new RMK chassis comes out. Anyway time to do a overhaul this summer. Some maintenance & upgrades on the way. What are others doing with there 800's? Selling, keeping stock or maybe turbo time LOL. My plans are bellow. BTW my 16 RMK has 900 miles on it.

-Rebuild clutch, add ZRP light weight cover & Ti bolts
-Replace engine mounts
-163 Ice Age rails with 2.6 track on my 155
-Skinz Tri lite running boards
-Some brand of pipe or maybe a Stage 3 with new Polaris pistons if leak down/compression test shows them needing replacement.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I'll keep my turbo 800 probably another 2-3 years at least, 10-12 psi with 174" mountain tek kit, zero issues, most fun turbo sled ive ever had:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If I were to do another 800, I would do a straightline pipe instead not starting line. I've run both and the straightline one makes distinctly more power and isnt so dang thin so cracking isnt an issue.

I would forgo the pistons. I've put numerous motors up around 2k and never had them feeling even a little weak, as long as its got fresh motor mounts and clutch parts they still rip.

With the list of things you have done its going to be a really fun sled.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
If I were to do another 800, I would do a straightline pipe instead not starting line. I've run both and the straightline one makes distinctly more power and isnt so dang thin so cracking isnt an issue.

I would forgo the pistons. I've put numerous motors up around 2k and never had them feeling even a little weak, as long as its got fresh motor mounts and clutch parts they still rip.

With the list of things you have done its going to be a really fun sled.

I wonder how the Straight Line pipe will perform with my Diamond S can? Really like the weight savings & sound of the can. I will give them a call this week. Yeah I really like my sled currently especially after installing the Fox/Burandt QS3's. Handles amazing, just need a power boost.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
i am in the same boat. my sled has 1200 miles on it. runs strong.
new motor mounts this year.

thinking about a clutch refresh
powervalve cleaning
new powervalve actuator cable
new 163 track and rails

also thinking about picking up a leftover '18 or '19 if I can find a good deal

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Kind of the same here. I have my sled for sale currently. If it doesn’t sell I may ride it another year it’s been running good even with 2000 miles on it good leak down and pulls good. Was think of a IS Long rod and riding a couple more seasons. If it sells just going to do a leftover 800 163. Just need to do maintenance and check bearings and stuff for wear. I have a stage 3 currently with the 18’ thermostat and it was a great add on. Runs much cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Kind of the same here. I have my sled for sale currently. If it doesn’t sell I may ride it another year it’s been running good even with 2000 miles on it good leak down and pulls good. Was think of a IS Long rod and riding a couple more seasons. If it sells just going to do a leftover 800 163. Just need to do maintenance and check bearings and stuff for wear. I have a stage 3 currently with the 18’ thermostat and it was a great add on. Runs much cooler.

Wintertime who's stage 3/thermostat combo are you using. The high coolant temp is my biggest complaint on my 16.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
It’s a SLP head with the 18’ thermostat and head head skull from the 18’. It’s works great runs in the 90’s I run my scratchers on the trail when it’s hard packed. The main thing is if you forget your scratches it doesn’t hit 160’s. I think it pulls a little better also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Wintertime who's stage 3/thermostat combo are you using. The high coolant temp is my biggest complaint on my 16.

Get a mountain teck tunnel cooler for it, we all run them, mine will stay at whatever thermostat you put in it, even with 174, hardpack trail and small snow flap, you can installl in a couple hours easy

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
Get a mountain teck tunnel cooler for it, we all run them, mine will stay at whatever thermostat you put in it, even with 174, hardpack trail and small snow flap, you can installl in a couple hours easy

This is true. I have one with my MTNTK turbo at 10# on a 16 155. On Search and Rescue nights over hockey ice I'm the only one not pulling over to cool off.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
i am in the same boat. my sled has 1200 miles on it. runs strong.
new motor mounts this year.

thinking about a clutch refresh
powervalve cleaning
new powervalve actuator cable
new 163 track and rails

also thinking about picking up a leftover '18 or '19 if I can find a good deal

We have a 0 mile 18 155 ES 2.6 in Truckee that needs to go if interested.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I love the 19 front end. I did alt impact on one sled and had to do the other. In the Axys chassis I like the 155 more than 163. I would do 19 front end over turbo, but I'm not a hill climber anymore

If you want more power, turbo. Lots of sleds with 2000 plus Miles and no problems. I installed myself and it has been flawless.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Me Too

count in another one. For the level of problems I've seen, I decided to find a holdover 2018 800 on a killer deal a month ago instead of any kind of new 850. I don't plan to do anything to it besides put a bunch of miles and even more smiles on it. Looking at the colors of the 2020 version of my sled (155) I'm loving it and hoping the dealers are forced to buy a zillion of them so I can get a great deal on one in 2021. I would love to have that narrow front end but I'll enjoy the heck out of this 2018 for a few more years. AXYS chassis is just so darn much fun.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I'm still on my 16 800, 13xx miles. I'm planning on running it till 2-2500 miles.
I have thought about getting a holdover axys 800 and swapping my turbo onto that. I know the ECU would need to be swapped though, maybe injectors?? just be nice to swap all my nice accessories and raptor shocks to a fresh engine. :) :juggle::face-icon-small-coo

509_Colton

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2012
Yakima wa
I just picked up a hold over 18 163" this year, has 370 miles on it now. All stock but durapro ski rubbers, some storage, and a alt impact 36" true clearance front arms, supposed to be same geometry as the 19. Going with a slp stage two for next seasons and hopefully put alot more trouble free miles on :face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
509 viper, i have the same set up with indy dan balanced clutches and pump gas head, pro gears , diamond S can. It rips at 10k elevation 8350rpm.

Premium Features