• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Steering Question...

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Looking at picking up an Alpha. Been reading on a few forum boards, and I've heard mention that you Can change the steering to get closer to Doo steering...

...what is needed to do so? And does it feel like a Doo?

Ace

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Post forward kit. Something like c3.
Essentially what ur doing is making the skis turn when u sidehill. Vertical post keeps the skis straight when u pull the sled on its side with the bars.
Laying the bottom post at an angle with the riser 90° to the ground forces the bars to turn when u pull on them sideways causing sidehilling issues, much more difficult to control the skis vs a vertical post that creates a natural nuetral position when pulling on the bars sideways.

Last edited:
C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
we actually call it the lay down post, its the same steering post off of a zr. most advanced cat riders go this route and ive actually seen polaris riders do it too since pretty much all trail sleds have a lay down style post so you can carve in and bite in a corner. For a side hill you actually get more leverage and a more natural position vs the straight post.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
we actually call it the lay down post, its the same steering post off of a zr. most advanced cat riders go this route and ive actually seen polaris riders do it too since pretty much all trail sleds have a lay down style post so you can carve in and bite in a corner. For a side hill you actually get more leverage and a more natural position vs the straight post.

4 stroke and some SE (base model) mountain sleds had the laydown post as well. Leverage should be the same given the same bar height and the riser is reasonably in-line with either post style to not get sweeping action with the bars. As to which one is more natural is rider preference.

Info For Reference: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443749&highlight=Post+forward

I sat on Chewy's sled with the 3" forward and it was too much forward for me to be comfortable. I'm 6'-2" and like my vertical steering with a 6" riser tipped forward 1" to 1-1/2". If I ever tried laydown steering maybe do 1" forward. Not sure that would be enough to run a taller riser without having to tip it forward and give me a bad bar swing.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Yep I ran the 3 inch post forward on my 14. I agree with Boondocker it was a little to forward. I got use to it but prefer the vertical steering.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
So this "Lay down post" is a Cat part? Are there Modifications that you need to do to the air box or frame? Or plug and play?

... going back and forth on picking up an Alpha, or just getting another Gen 4. I love the steering of the Doo, Poo is too awkward, and the 18 Cat I rode last year seemed in between. But if a new post was an easy fix to have both sleds handle similar, I would be all over that!

Ace

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
So this "Lay down post" is a Cat part? Are there Modifications that you need to do to the air box or frame? Or plug and play?

... going back and forth on picking up an Alpha, or just getting another Gen 4. I love the steering of the Doo, Poo is too awkward, and the 18 Cat I rode last year seemed in between. But if a new post was an easy fix to have both sleds handle similar, I would be all over that!

Ace

Yes - pretty simple swap. Just a post and top plate where the vert post is. You could just cut the vert post but I’d keep as a unit and sale.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

Ace

Post is a Cat part 1705-522 and swapped right in on the proclimb. Not sure if the Ascender plastic needs any trimming? If you can see the top of the secondary steering shaft going down I would think not. If you don't want to cut the stock post to get it out of the top of the frame support (or want to save it for the future) I'd get this piece as well 1707-570. Approximately $110 for the Cat post and $135 for the frame support.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Step away from the darks side... The Doo steering is one of the biggest flaws in that sled. I am baffled that people would actually want to go that route.

Brent7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2017
La Grande, Or.
I rode with the lay down steering on my 12 m800 standard for 4 years. I didnt like the vertical steering either. Finally was convinced to switch, when I had to replace the post, and love it. Took me a few rides though from which I almost switched back. I can get farther forward on steep stuff and for me I seemed to wash out less because of it. If you still have a doo and jump back and forth I'd switch it to lay down. But if your only going to be riding the new sled... do what was said before. Give it 5 rides before switching.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Planning on the Alpha being a back up/ guest sled, UNLESS I absolutely love it... so being able to jump from Doo to Cat MAY be really nice!.

... ...it seems like the Cat is in the middle of Poo and Doo when it comes to steering, so maybe it wont be that hard to do so...

Ace

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I jump back and forth between poo and doo all the time. Doesn't even phase me but I have a lot of time on both. Take it out for a few days before you ride anything else and it won't bother you because you haven't rode anything for 6 or 8 months.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN

Ace

They both have Pros n Cons for certain manuevers. Bottom line, get the sled you want, you will adjust quickly to the steering configuration without any issues. After a day or two you wont even remember the old way!

Funny story though, my friend and I switched sleds, we both had Arctic Cats, he had to lay down I had vertical. We took off up the mountain sidehilling/carving together and we both came off the sleds within 45 seconds of getting on it. Lol.

Premium Features