• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS Quick Drive Bolts

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Are you guys still changing out the quick drive bolts on the AXYS? I have one without about 1,000 miles and was wondering if the bolts were still an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Some driveshafts have good splines and others are sloppy. Here is a link to a video of my buddy's 2017. It is too sloppy for a sled with zero miles. You have to remember that the bolt must preload the gear against the bearing. As you accelerate and brake, the gear rotates on the shaft slightly under the bolt head. How many times do you think it takes for that gear to rock back and forth under the bolt head to wear away enough material before it loosens up? Once loose, the gear wobbles due to the belt load being outboard of the end of the shaft, and this works on the bolt, bending it under the head in a rotational manor until the bolt fatigues and the bolt head pops off.

This is not on all sleds. My 2014 was good, my 15 terrible, my 16 good and this 17 poor again.

If yours is bad, upgrade the bolt and use Loctite 660 on the shaft. This will make removing the gear a bitch but we run the TKI belt drives so changing belts is not a concern.

I hope the link works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvpd4haogj2d5ht/2016-10-04 17.39.53.mov?dl=0

Chris

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
This is not on all sleds. My 2014 was good, my 15 terrible, my 16 good and this 17 poor again.

Chris
Seems like we get the loose splines

My 14 good- 15-16 really bad./ Ordered new lower gears from Tom @ TKI and put the ARP bolts on top& Bottom.. Didn't miss a beat last year on all 3 sleds.... Annually I change out the bolt's now and chase the threads on the shafts with a tap and re-do...
Just something for a piece of mind, and pre-season activity now..

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I rode with a guy last year who broke his bottom bolt second ride on a 16' Axys. He did have a turbo. The bottom bolt broke less than a mile from the truck as we were just cruising down the trail. He was able to work the belt and pulley back into position and limp back to the trailer.

If I had the stock belt drive, I would replace the bolt, just for cheap insurance.

Or TKI, FTW!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Has anyone installed a stud and nut instead of a bolt? Eric

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Anybody know the ARP bolt part number for the bottom gear on the axys?

M
Nov 20, 2016
The top gear bolt and the bottom gear bolt of the quick drive strape are graded at 8.8 ... The same grade that was on the pro rmk ... I don't want to take any chances and i'm gonna change it for some 10.9 grade bolts ... Maybe those 8.8 bolts are going to stay in place and not broke but when you broke in the trail , close of the truck that not that worst but in the wood in tree ride .... Oufff i don't wanna think about it so for the price it cost... I DON'T TAKE ANY CHANCES :face-icon-small-dis

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
If you have loose splines probably not a bad idea to use loctite 660. Havent had any loose spline issues on the jackshaft. Only the driveshaft. My 13 was good, 14 bad, 16 never looked but never broke a bolt, 17 is the one in tethairs video above.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you do change out the bolt and "upgrade"... please note that simply going from a 8.8 grade (similar to grade 5 SAE) to a 10.9 (similar to grade 8 SAE)...does not necessarily mean you have a higher quality bolt... It just means that you have a harder bolt with more tensile strength.

The reason that I've recommended the ARP brand is because of their strict quality control and better materials... The ARP bolts are 'tougher' and more resistant to cyclic fatigue than the average off the shelf auto-store/hardware-store/Fastenal/McMaster variety 10.9 bolts that mostly come from Asia now.

Though I've not seen many problems with the stockers on the AXYS... there have been a few reports of issues.

TethAir has put up some good posts on spline fit... good to search them out... if you spline fit is horrible, you will most likely have issues.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm seeing that the Polaris part number for the AXYS QD, 7520187, for the top and bottom QD bolts are NOT the same as the longer bolt for the ProRide QD's.

PN 7520187 is a M10 - 1.25pitch x 45mm long... which is 5mm longer than the ProRide bolts.

Which are showing good in stock at Summit racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/arp-673-1006

Since they are both the same... If you are pulling your bolts...this summer for maint... But heck... why not upgrade to a better quality bolt...
Note: I DO recognize that the AXYS QD system has shown less issues than the early units...

I AM a fan of saving $$...though... I still feel the ARP bolts are superior to any other out there that is easily available to consumers. You get what you pay for... the ARP's are not much harder than the 10.9-grade fastener (stock bolt)... but the metallurgy and process makes them "tougher" and thus more durable in our application.

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
If you are pulling your bolts...this summer for maint... But heck... why not upgrade to a better quality bolt...
Note: I DO recognize that the AXYS QD system has shown less issues than the early units...

What good timing on bringing this thread back to life MH- I recently pulled the shaft completely for bearing maintenance-and tapped the splined end to clean up the old locktite, going back with all new bearings and new ARP bolts.

Was thinking about the HFPP drive collar on several clients sleds - but don't see/hear much since 2015 of the issues with the drive falling apart.... ????
Any Input on the Drive collar clamp on the pro's & Axys?????

http://happyfacepp.com/polaris-pro-drive-shaft-collar/

Axyx shaft.jpg

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
When I bought one back in 2015 when I got my '16 Axys, the collar wouldn't fit due to changes made for the Axys QD backing plate. They were informed of this, so I would imagine they fixed to collar to work on the Axys sleds.

The problem was, st that time, the hole the shaft poked through on the collar wasn't large enough diameter to clear the QD support plate where the lower pulley bearing is.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
We got to have 40 ish axys in our area, and not one has had drive shaft issue.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
We got to have 40 ish axys in our area, and not one has had drive shaft issue.

Ya but we have several (20+) running the 14-15 drive Axle from the pro's on the axys, and most on boost with great results..
So, have some tore down doing regular maintenance, and was thinking out loud on the drive collar.

We have had 2 Axys in our area split the drive- but warranty covered them...

Premium Features