• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Love this old fellers thread. Got #74 coming up this weekend and I still can't wait to get back on the "white". Been on sleds since 1981 and scooters since 1961. Current sled is a '17 800 Axys 155 that I picked up back in May from a young guy in Utah who rode it once for 58 miles. Hope it treats me as well as the '11, '13 and '15 Pro's that I rode prior to this one. Have had over 25 sleds since I started riding. Have always been partial to Poo's and Cats, with a few Yammies back in the late '80's early 90's. Have never owned a Doo.

Getting older doesn't mean you have to throw in the towel. Sure, I can't do some of the things I did 10-15 yrs. ago, but I still look to ride cross country/boondock as much as I can. I try to use my head a little more and not take as many chances as before. Most of the guys I ride with are over 60 and a few are even younger. The main thing is to go out and have fun and get back in one piece(body and sled).

Hope everyone has a kick-*** season(and a safe one).

KEEP CHARGING!!

A
Dec 1, 2012
Plain, WA.
i'm 73, ride a 16 m-8000....y-pipe, tki drive, ti can, just put a 174 on my previous 162....looking forward to another season....i work out pretty hard with weights and stair master, rowing, bike and my own routine using hand dumb-bells....the group i rode with for years have all given up for various reasons...i still go to the same places, hook up with different groups in the parking lot, don't mention my age and with a helmet and gear on, they won't know until i've already established my ability to ride...i also frequently ride alone, but am careful about where i go...i carry a "spot" and a satellite phone, have a good survival pack with storm parka, also lots of outdoor experience with several survival schools, i backpack, hunt elk (took a very nice 6 point), packed him out by myself....not giving up or in to age just yet...:face-icon-small-ton
Slyrydr your one hell of an inspiration good on you and if your ever in my neck of the woods Leavenworth Wa. Ride Cascade look me up it would be an honor to have you join the crew

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Love this old fellers thread. Got #74 coming up this weekend and I still can't wait to get back on the "white". Been on sleds since 1981 and scooters since 1961. Had over 25 sleds since I started riding.

Getting older doesn't mean you have to throw in the towel. Sure, I can't do some of the things I did 10-15 yrs. ago, but I still look to ride cross country/boondock as much as I can. I try to use my head a little more and not take as many chances as before. Most of the guys I ride with are over 60 and a few are even younger. The main thing is to go out and have fun and get back in one piece(body and sled).

Hope everyone has a kick-*** season(and a safe one).

KEEP CHARGING!!

ROCK ON BROTHER!!!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
If you feel your skills are diminishing, it's time for school. Go learn new skills from guys like, Dan Adams, or find someone thru a snowmobile club. If you're just over 50, you've got a lot of years to go. I'm only 46, but my father and his buddy are 75 and 76 years young. They keep up with us youngsters and we don't exactly ride the easy backcountry, to put it modestly.

They both ride 163s, one is turboed. I think that's the best length for older riders. I've ridden a 174 and thought it was just too much sled to throw around. Especially when stuck, and I stuck that 174 a lot! It was a Doo though...

I agree with the time for school, rode with Dan Adams last year and upped my game. Sixty one and still shredding, riding an AXYS 163 and riding better than I ever have.

dingalingman1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 23, 2010
Western Nebraska
Hi, I am 56 and have ridden bikes and snowmobiles for most of my life. There are 3 things that I have observed through the years.

1. You learn to ride smart as you get older, not as much manhandling of the sled more finesse.

2. I am so glad that the manufacturers are creating the great machines they are because It has extended my ability to ride for countless more years!

3. Love to see all the younger people sledding, just a few years ago I would have said it was a dying sport.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Slap a turbo on that new sled and go SHRED SOME POW!!!!!!

Looks like you PAID THE PRICE to go play hard!

LOOOOOOOG story but a snowmobile saved my life, winter 2016 took a tumble off snowmobile and fell on post on left kidney......short story the Cat scan from that injury uncovered a 4 pound tumor where lefty kidney should have been, this photo is 6 weeks after having my kidney and tumor removed, a few months later I was declared cured:violin::violin:

no whining, never quit

13427771_10153776798399912_861339489924349321_n.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
LOOOOOOOG story but a snowmobile saved my life, winter 2016 took a tumble off snowmobile and fell on post on left kidney......short story the Cat scan from that injury uncovered a 4 pound tumor where lefty kidney should have been, this photo is 6 weeks after having my kidney and tumor removed, a few months later I was declared cured:violin::violin:

no whining, never quit

WOW
Dude
Guardian Angel???

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
54 and just picked up a Summit 850 165. Evertime I get a new sled I think it will probably be my last. God willing I will have a couple more sleds in me. See you all on the hills!

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
Two ibuprophen and I am ready to go.

64 now. Started in 1966. Love the mountains, especially off trail. Not nearly as nimble, but the sleds keep getting better and make up for aging. Currently have a 2015 Pro 155. Keeps me up and has a lot of slow reflex forgiveness. I may not keep up with the kids in the thick trees, but am not too far behind. Besides someone has to rescue the youngsters when they get a bit foolish (kind of like the old bull, young bull joke). Hope to have many more years, like the rest of you.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
67 years young and just got a new summit g4 154,no mountains here but ride forest roads and creek bottoms. I like to look on google earth and find spots to get to .Lots of people my age have got out of the sport , not me i am it it till the end. Son said to me one time when i was going to act my age ,, Never.

Premium Features