• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM add ons - need advice

oldstyle33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2009
Omaha, NE
Looking to put some add ons on a 2014 summit XM. How important is it to put a belly pan on it? Which one is better? The extreme or the standard skidoo belly pan? I know the differences are size, but want to know other sledders thoughts. Also, should I put the grip n rip bracing on it as well? I have heard both positive and negatives about the bracing. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I would say yes to both. When riding down a snow covered gravel road last year, I nailed a 10" diameter rock or so with a sk at 20-30 mph. It flung me off the sled and cause my sled to roll a few time. I had the racewerx bumper/smod brace system, and the gnr upper arm and emod brace. Much to my suprise none of the a arms nor the smod were tweaked at all. I was probably more lucky than anything, but I say yes to bracing. Also like brew said, get the extreme skid plate...

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I use 8" skis for better flotation helps a lot gliding over obstacles instead of hitting them. Also take a grinder to the carbides and smoothen out the first 1/2 inch to a super smooth approach angle so that they will not hook on any rocks but glide over them. Those 2 mods take care of 75% of front end issues for me and my Gal. Also save 5 pounds worth of bracing. Stuff can always happen but this does take care of all the small stuff, if you hit a big stump or rock at any kind of speed straight on stuff just bends no matter how many braces you have on.
My Skis are also very flexible on the tip that helps as well

F
Aug 23, 2015
Looking to put some add ons on a 2014 summit XM. How important is it to put a belly pan on it? Which one is better? The extreme or the standard skidoo belly pan? I know the differences are size, but want to know other sledders thoughts. Also, should I put the grip n rip bracing on it as well? I have heard both positive and negatives about the bracing. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

extreme skid plate ...fat ones for flotation
hd torsion springs are a must
gnr bracing for sure.
pre filter kit stops snow from entering the motor
motts machining quick clickers no tools required once installed
hps can sounds so sweet

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
I put over 2200mi on my 13XM, G&R braces, no skid plate and no damage, maybe I'm lucky but I very rarely hit stuff. I also put on rail stiffeners and the heavier rear susp. springs for jumping. I also run the Polaris Gripper skis. I will be running G&R braces, rail stiffeners, and heavier rear susp. springs and a special spring loaded Ft. bumper on my 16 T-3.

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I put a BRP skid plate on mine (the bigger one), no issues with ice or snowbuild up. I definitely recommend a front screen/prefilter kit to keep snow out of the engine bay. I tagged a rock last year and bent my s-mod and spindle. I replaced the spindle and I'm going to leave the s-mod for now since I don't find it to be a huge issue. Would grip n' rip braces helped? Probably, when I repair it, they'll be getting installed for sure.

x2 on the quick clickers as well, they make life a lot easier for changing snow and elevation conditions.

F
Oct 13, 2013
Don't forget a better front bumper. Stocker is useless for deflecting anything bigger than a pencil. Clutch kit #2. Grip n rip braces are just for that warm fuzzy feeling and a little bit of insurance, don't want to bend anything? stick to the trail and go slow.

For the standard ski do skid plate use bolts and big washer on the front, rivets don't last.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
7x XM sleds in the last 3 years. Never skidded one, never GNR-ed one. Never had a bit of damage. But I am careful. I have hit a few things that, to be honest, if it was any worse, I would give a crap about the sled, I would have been hurt. Over the bars hit, no damage. My bud did full GNR, he hits a lot of stuff, his sled is still twisted. Another bud, same story, the GNR didn't help one bit. Twisted up mess.
Depends on how you ride.
If you are a thrasher, you will destroy the sled with or without the GNR.
If you plan on hitting trees with the bumper, get a bigger one. I never had an issue, and drove over a lot of smaller trees and brush in the last two years.
The wideass Doo skid holds snow. The skinnyass one doesn't Doo a lot in the center, kinda bridges the gap between module and nosepan.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I clipped a rock with stock arms 2 seasons back, but G&N braces. Bent the arm, not the S-mod. 1/0 for G&R

Clipped many rocks this past season, with Alt Impact A-arms, bent/broke several rod ends, no arm damage, no S-mod damage. 6/0 for Alt Impact A-arms.

Smoked a tree just right of center. Crushed pipe. E-mod OK, S-mod twisted. Braces may have helped to keep it ridable, not sure...

For simply hitting rocks with skis, I vote Alternative Impact A-arms over braces (if you're to make the one or the other choice).

But a big hit? She'll crumple/twist no matter what. Add a beefy bumper for additional damage--transfers energy of impact from crumple zone (front plastics & pipe) to S-mod/E-mod. For a more functional bumper, check out Racewerx for a thought-through sacrificial design. It was more than I wanted to spend though. I bought a Skinz Rasmussen bumper, but wouldn't buy one again.

Overall I'd say my favorite mod so far has been the A-arms.

If you run the stock hood I'd add external intake covers, that thin mesh from BRP is awfully weak when tree riding.

Last edited:
C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
I say yes to both skid plate and gnr bracing. Extreme skid plate if you are riding powder, I do not have the extreme and do have a problem with the steering getting packed with snow then freezing. Just got my hands on a 2010 XP and it has both the s mod and e mod cracked completely thru. Never damaged an a arm. This was a friend's sled that I have always ridden with. He did not have any bracing on it. For a few hundred bucks I will always put these 2 items on my doos.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
50/50 Split

I have the full GNR braces and the smaller doo skid plate. Last year I caught a rock carving and I bent the lower control arm, spindle, and slightly damaged the S module even with the bracing. I know those that are for and against the GNR bracing with different theories which I believe that they are both correct given the situation.

The 1st theory is with the brace kit you may transfer the crash energy into the E module where it cost you much more money to fix. The 2nd theory is that it may save your *** and that it is good added protection. In my case the energy did not transfer probably because the hit was probably not hard enough but it did allow me to continue to ride where with out it the sled may not of been rideable any longer.

For the skid plates it is also preference in how or where you ride. The wider doo skid plate will offer you more or increased floatation and protect your lower a arms and some guys that have them claim that they do not build up with snow or ice since most riders are concerned with the weight of the extra ice and snow.

Last edited:

oldstyle33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2009
Omaha, NE
I just bought the GnR bracing. Still debating if I need an extreme skid plate. Is it needed? What tunnel bag is best? I just need to store some survival gear, snobungie, and drinks. I am thinking about getting the extreme seat bag, but not sure if all my stuff will fit. Either that or the medium sized tunnel bag. What are your thoughts?

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Ive got a 2014xm too. I installed the GNR bracing and the extreme plate before the first ride. I was shredding some epic pow and smacked a hidden tree stump with my left ski. Flew over the handbars and rushed back to look for damage. Only to find a bend a-arm. I imagine the bracing helped. Changing a-arms kinda sucks. Bolt the skid plate where you can instead of rivets.
Also added: a HPS can. (Easy install). Polaris Gripper skis. (way better). CFR rack. And this season new shock oil and some minor clutch tuning. Ready to rip.

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
I'm new to doo what's all this g&r and S mod stuff all about? I'm picking up mh sled in a week and was just planning on doing a front bumper for now and a few other accessories. I'm seeing mixed reviews on these mods but have no idea what or where they go. Anybody have a link or pictures as to what they are. Sorry I'm a newb to skidoo.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I'm new to doo what's all this g&r and S mod stuff all about? I'm picking up mh sled in a week and was just planning on doing a front bumper for now and a few other accessories. I'm seeing mixed reviews on these mods but have no idea what or where they go. Anybody have a link or pictures as to what they are. Sorry I'm a newb to skidoo.

Some people believe in it and some think it's unnecessary, up to you if you think it's necessary or worth it. http://www.gripnripracing.com/index.php

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Agreed 100%.
If you are careful, really careful in low snow, not needed.
If you are a bit reckless in low snow, GNR can save a module.
If you are a maniac in all snow conditions, balls to the wall, it won't make a difference. Two different sleds here, with GNR, it didn't make a difference. But these guys toss their sleds regularly, jump every stump they see. Both were twisted to hel.

Premium Features