• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightest Apex out there?

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
I love the apex chassis as it fits me better then any nytro/viper. Just curious since its a mature model does anyone know the lightest Apex anyone has built?

I think I saw a carbon fiber one around 550lbs WET but cant remember.

Wondering if its worth the hassle to go Ti frame, A arms, tunnel, seat exhaust, etc to get me in the 570's lb range. I'm at 678 right now as a 151 supercharged. Stock tunnel, seat, reverse, exhaust, a arms, and steering system.

I do have a ZX2 (lighter then stock), headlight retrofit with HID trail tech (saves weight). Thats really it.

Its a trail/ditch sled here in Iowa. Im getting older and in the deep snow when we have it, the sled can wear me out. Based on all the searching I have done it looks like over 100lbs is achievable from current state. Just wondering if it would make a difference or not. Right now I cant tell much difference between a full tank of fuel and a empty one.

Any specifics or build threads on a light weight Apex would be great! Thanks

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Personally I think there are way better options to spend money on then try to get an old outdated sled to work better. There is no resale value when you try to sell it. The money you would spend could get you a later model sled with better technology. I guess it all depends on what you want to do.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I'll give ya my .02 to try and save ya some money. My last Apex mtx had right at 100lbs removed from it. It had almost every lightweight option you can do. fox floats, complete front and rear suspension replaced, ultra light weight exhaust and seat, ultra light battery, reverse/parking brake/sway bar all removed. Im sure im forgetting some things but you get the idea. Anyway....With all that $$$ spent this sled (162 W/supercharger) was STILL 150lbs heavier then a 155 Pro RMK.

I made the switch because I was tired of being completely worn out after a day of riding. I will be the first to say the Pro is NO WHERE near the quality of the Yamaha but the only mod I did to this sled was 200 bucks for a set of running boards. Compare that to my yammies and you would need to add two more zeros to that number!!!!

Eric

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Thanks that is pretty much what I expected. Its hard when you like something and its paid for and doesn't owe me anything its hard to get a new one and have to start over with the customization.

Back to how light can you go here is a 460lb apex with lots of mods but all for less then $1500 but LOTS of labor:

http://www.neumeyer.us/sleds/apex.htm

Just curious what it would take both money and time to get that light. However the bigger question is will it even matter. It possibly wont be much better just because how far back the chassis sits?

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
Man don't listen to these guys if you want to lose some weight on your apex go for it man the apex is a awesome sled and not to mention it will almost last you forever. Do the major weight loss items and I think you'll be more than happy. A-arms, skid, seat, and under tunnel exhaust, and your looking at a good savings with just that stuff.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
lets see

tunnel $1900 = +/- 15 Lbs
Rear suspensopn $2000 = -30 lbs.
Front suspension $1800 = -12lbs
Mesh Hood $500 = -10 lbs.
Belt Drive $2500 = +/- 18 lbs
Exhaust system $800 = 8 lbs
battery $250 = -10 lbs
seat $500 = not sure

$10,150 = 103 lbs

ad on snowest
2014 800 RMK 155
$7397

Me i am going with the RMK I can built a few motors with the mone i save and still have a way better sled then the APex

You can certainly do what you want. all my numbers are just estimates dont quote me

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
10 grand, wow I guess if you want to buy everything new but there are tons of used or almost new parts out there up for grabs. I'm building a boosted Nytro with all those parts right now and I will have like 4500 in it and that's with buying the sled also!

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Yeah that is the other nice part about the old girl is lightweight parts are dirt cheap now.

I wouldn't spend more then $2500 to reduce the weight would be my goal.

The question still remains CAN YOU FEEL it? I'm not so sure chassis 'feel' heavy or light based on actual weight I 'think' it has more to do with the chassis and suspension set up but I could be wrong. If I got the apex down to 450 lbs would a pro still 'feel' lighter? I dont have enough experience with different sleds to know the anwser.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Yeah that is the other nice part about the old girl is lightweight parts are dirt cheap now.

The question still remains CAN YOU FEEL it? I'm not so sure chassis 'feel' heavy or light based on actual weight I 'think' it has more to do with the chassis and suspension set up but I could be wrong. If I got the apex down to 450 lbs would a pro still 'feel' lighter? I dont have enough experience with different sleds to know the anwser.

THATS what I was trying to tell you. I rode my sled for 3yrs WITH the 100lbs removed. I ride the mountains and a lot of technical tree riding. It flat out wears you out by mid afternoon. Your shoulders are burning and your ready to be done for the day. I use to take advil 3 times a day riding that sled.

Now I can ride the pro all day long doing the same type of riding, don't take any advil and feel fine at the end of the day.

I do agree that if your going to continue to mod your apex find all the parts used. Also keep in mind that the more you do to it the harder it becomes to sell and the lower you have to drop the price. Eric

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Thanks Eric, appreciate it! Was your apex boosted? I find the boost to be a little tiresome as well sometimes its just too damn fast and really gets you into trouble and wears you out just holding on!!!

Although at the same time I'm not sure I could ride anything else now that I am used to 250+ hp its more positive then negative :)

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
It was boosted the last year I rode it. Super charger and yes the 240 hp sure was nice on the mountain. CRAZY amount of track speed when climbing. I was on an Apex for 6 years, and now ive been on the pro for 2 years. I have no intention at this time to go back to the 4-stroke. It just takes WAY too much money to make them work well and the 2-strokes just keep getting lighter every year. I'm not getting any younger so the light weight, easy to handle sled works for me. Eric

L
Aug 30, 2011

I will give my two cents coming from a Yamaha four-stroke rider(non-mountain,but not groom trail).My brother owned a 06 Nytro for 9 seasons that had close to forty pounds removed(BOSS seat,exhaust,lighter battery,600lbs full wet)).That sled felt 100 lbs lighter that my warrior(680lbs full wet) even before the mods.Now I own a Phazer RTX and even though it may be only 40lbs lighter than the nytro(550lbs full wet on paper) it feels like 100 lbs.So you can remove a lot of weight but the simply fact the motor is the heaviest single part of the sled.Yamaha has the best four-stroke engines(and lightest per HP)but anything in the 3 to 4 cylinder(not the phazer engine,its pretty light) range will never feel as light as a two-stroke.My phazer is in such a different league my brother traded his Nytro and got a 2014 MXZ sport 600.Both sleds are much more playful and fun than the warrior/nytro but you give up that sick power(and some reliability on the doo part:face-icon-small-hap).Heres a vid of both http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tJXqYiaPKk&list=UU55dd8WXUD1XIM5pyqa-Qlg

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Thanks for input everyone. Still interested if anyone has a unique build of a apex for weight or chassis mods to make it easier to drive. Just love that supercharged 4 banger!

C
Feb 23, 2009
apex

your right about the apex ,it's arguably the best engine in snowmobileing
chassis may be dated but very well built.

here's my sled aprx. 525#

find used light weight part on line and u will save a lot.

sure the pro rmk sounds like a great sled but new there 14,000
u own yours big difference.
were is that 7500$ pro I want 2 .
it's probably roached out junk!

good luck with your build it's well worth it.
p.s. I cant afford to buy a sled after 1 or 2 years either.

11-01-09_0937.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002

Here is the link to the 2014 RMK 800 155 for 7397. http://www.actionmotor.com/default.asp?page=rentals-snowmobile
They are rental sleds with about 2,000 miles on them. Some of them are actually in very good condition.

You can also buy brand new Pro RMK 800's right now for about 9500 from several dealers. Eric

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com

Is that a dry weight or wet? Did you weigh it or just subtract the mods? Do you have a list of mods you can share? Anything out of the ordinary (seat, exhaust, front suspension/rear suspension, etc)

Thanks for sharing!

T
Mar 30, 2010
I believe that carbon fiber apex was actually a skidoo chassis with Yamaha engine and powertrain! You see the nypex out there and wet weight on a full diamond s build is right at 600 lbs. the Apexs they built where around 30-40 lbs heavier wet. I will say this on advice if ur a flat lander and ride a lot miles stick with the 4 strokes they are rock solid.

C
Feb 23, 2009
Is that a dry weight or wet? Did you weigh it or just subtract the mods? Do you have a list of mods you can share? Anything out of the ordinary (seat, exhaust, front suspension/rear suspension, etc)

Thanks for sharing!

THATS WEIGHT ON SCALE WITH 3GAL.GAS

MODS INCLUDE:

BOSS SEAT
EXCELL TUNNEL DUMP EXHAUST
LED TAIL LIGHT
MPI ROLLED CHAINCASE TUNNEL
MPI STEERING POST AND ARMS
EZ-RYDE SKID
POWER CLAW TRACK
REMOVED ALL BODY PANEL BOLT AND REPLACED WITH NYTRO PUSH PINS
MADE ALL. LOWER BELLY PAN MOUNTS
REMOVED PARKING BRAKE , RADIATOR AND SWAYBAR
ALL ALL. FRONT END , FOX FLOATS
MAY NEVER BE AS LIGHT AS A PRO BUT I'LL RACE ONE ACROSS MY 10 MI. LAKE AND WE CAN SEE WHO HAS PISTONS LEFT. HAHA

P.S. WERE DID U GET YOUR HEADLIGHT DELETE KIT AND HOW MUCH WAS IT? THANKS

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I have a full custom Apex, has as much weight as possible taken off without going Ti or Carbon Fibre. The way it is set up, it handles unreal for all riding. If you are interested, I have put the chassis up for sale in the swapmeet. It is a full Racers Edge 174 chassis with Racers Edge suspension, Split Second extended chaincase, etc. This chassis handles unreal and I have yet to ride one that compares. If your interested, its up for sale at a fraction of new price. Excellent shape.

DL

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
It was boosted the last year I rode it. Super charger and yes the 240 hp sure was nice on the mountain. CRAZY amount of track speed when climbing. I was on an Apex for 6 years, and now ive been on the pro for 2 years. I have no intention at this time to go back to the 4-stroke. It just takes WAY too much money to make them work well and the 2-strokes just keep getting lighter every year. I'm not getting any younger so the light weight, easy to handle sled works for me. Eric

I currently own a Pro 163 and a murdered out Turbo Apex. Two completely different machines for different uses. The Pro is exceptionally easy to ride but, to be honest, riding it is like going to sleep compared to a 350 hp Apex.

I haven't even come close to the level of adrenaline I can achieve on the apex when riding my Pro. Two completely different experiences. With that said, I like them both.

Premium Features