• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hm turbo better than boondocker?

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
Hey guys last week I got to ride a 2013 163 pro rmk with boondocker stainless steel exhaust all the bell and whistle. We were riding at 3 to 6000 feet at 9 lbs of boosts. After riding it I was in love and never felt a turbo sled that runs so smooth and crisp. No lag whatsoever . So after riding the boondocker I had to ride my 2012 assault back home and hated my sled:face-icon-small-ton so I'm saving the money now for the turbo kit next year. So the question is someone was telling me that hm turbo with vipec on 6 lbs of boost will smoke the boondocker out on 10 lbs of boost. I was wonder if that was true. Could vipec make the engine run smoother and more power on low boost.

S
Nov 27, 2007
that is true. a true 6 psi on a vipec set up will beat the boondocker kit all day long and run so much more crisper and responsive. Just from what i have seen first hand

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
i find that hard to believe. so if the boondocker has the vipec instead of the boondocker fuel controller and runs 6 lbs of boost. will it slaughter the boondocker that runs 10 lbs of boost. i dunno about that.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Something to remember is the hm is running a water to air intercooler too. Neil of boost-it claims that alone (due to the cooler/consistent charge temps) is equal to about 3 psi of boost in hp gain.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Install a vipec on your boondocker 8 psi turbo kit. Tell me what your actual boost reading is at the map sensor... then we can go from there. Boondocker kit is great love it, but vipec set up is miles ahead on tuning... Just my personal experience and thoughts...

S
Nov 27, 2007
Also run the same exact clutching set ups in both sleds hm kit with pure pump gas 6psi runs same weights as boondockers and pulls same rpm. Just food for thought!

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
hmmm well by the sound of hm turbo with vipec is the way to go. just that you can run on pump gas, run 6 psi and making the same amount of power of a 10 psi boondocker or silber turbo kit. now other question about the hm turbo with viper. what if you wanted to increase your boost do you have to bring the laptop with you and make adjustment to the fuel mapping?

S
Nov 27, 2007
hmmm well by the sound of hm turbo with vipec is the way to go. just that you can run on pump gas, run 6 psi and making the same amount of power of a 10 psi boondocker or silber turbo kit. now other question about the hm turbo with viper. what if you wanted to increase your boost do you have to bring the laptop with you and make adjustment to the fuel mapping?
Nope no laptop with ya.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Just like the Vipec and WA intercooler are ahead of Boondockers...Boondockers turbo itself is Light years ahead of the Aerochager IMO

I bet the GTX2863 with the SS tial housing, and external gate will kill the 66 Aero everywhere in the powerband. And how much does all that long intercooler piping to get to the WA intercooler, and then make its way back up to the motor cost in spool up with the HM kit???

OVS says they have proved with the Cats that with just the the Tial housing and external gate you can run 3psi less boost and make same power. And that is with a internal gate gerrett which I think would easily out do the Aero itself

I have no dog in this fight I am just like the TS, I am trying hard to pick the best kit to put on a new Pro next year

Last edited:
S
Nov 27, 2007
If anyone is interested in the vipec and how it works Bryce at turbo performance or check out turboboyz.com or pm cody phillips racing. they know tons more about this then i can even begin to explain.

S
Nov 27, 2007
The biggest problem with the turbo on the 13 pro is watching the qd belts snap way too often 700 miles on boondocker with 5 belts down.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Im sure HM turbos is a great kit, along with silber, boondocker, Boost-it etc etc. They are all different in there own way and thats good. I like the fact of a standalone ecu, (if it truely works). As far as a HM turbos kit on 6# smoking a boondockers turbo at 10#. I just dont see it. there is a HUGE difference from going from 8# to 12#. Now if your saying a boondockers kit set on 10# isnt really making 10# of boost then its a different story. Plus, if 10# wasnt enough for me on my boondockers kit id just turn it up to where i was happy, same with any kit. If i was to buy a new turbo kit, i wouldnt be asking which one makes more hp. Id be checking into cost, whats all included, is there anything else i need to buy to make the kit work, does it come with clutching, what extras or options are available, customer service after the purchase, and dealer install experience. Also think about what you are wanting from the kit and what kind of riding do you actually do. If your just boondocking in the trees all day do you really need a 15# turbo hill slaying beast, NO.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Im sure HM turbos is a great kit, along with silber, boondocker, Boost-it etc etc. They are all different in there own way and thats good. I like the fact of a standalone ecu, (if it truely works). As far as a HM turbos kit on 6# smoking a boondockers turbo at 10#. I just dont see it. there is a HUGE difference from going from 8# to 12#. Now if your saying a boondockers kit set on 10# isnt really making 10# of boost then its a different story. Plus, if 10# wasnt enough for me on my boondockers kit id just turn it up to where i was happy, same with any kit. If i was to buy a new turbo kit, i wouldnt be asking which one makes more hp. Id be checking into cost, whats all included, is there anything else i need to buy to make the kit work, does it come with clutching, what extras or options are available, customer service after the purchase, and dealer install experience. Also think about what you are wanting from the kit and what kind of riding do you actually do. If your just boondocking in the trees all day do you really need a 15# turbo hill slaying beast, NO.
They do offer a money back guaranty for all boondocker and silber owners if you wanna shell out the extra money for an already good kit (boondocker) I can tell you set on 10 psi from the ones I have and have seen has yet to be boosting the psi it is set to.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
OMFG. Stop listening to "your buddy". I do believe that a standalone ECU is the future of turbo tuning on 2 stroke sleds, but a properly tuned piggy back system can run very cleanly (as you found out when you rode one a week ago "D8Rider") There is no way to account for a 4PSI difference if both sleds are tuned properly (including fuel, clutching, gearing, etc). This is ridiculous. There may be some power differences due to the differences in the kit design (inter cooling, charge volume, etc), but not enough to account for 4+ PSI of boost. That said, I will put my '11 Pro RMK (intercooled BD), up against any "11-"13 RMK, with ANYONES turbo kit. I'm not saying mine will "win", but I guarantee you will not be making more power than me running 4 PSI less than I do (or even 2 PSI less for that matter)

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Boost

So how do u truly know what boost you are running on the vipec with no gauges? Food for thought

Premium Features