• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Under Garment or Base Layer: What Do You Wear

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
I use underarmour as well and it works great! I recently saw that klim has some now too and it's cheaper than underarmour. Has anyone tried it?

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Another vote for Under Armour. I wear it absolutely any time I am active, from in the gym to hunting to snowmobiling. Has yet to let me down.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Tbanks guys , lots of turnout on the underarmour, Has any one tried the Arctiva evaporator series, they seem to have a pretty simple layering system. http://arctiva.com/layering.jsp
I beleive was the Evaporator, Regulator and insulator system. has anyone wore those before?

Pretty cool lookin stuff in the Cabelas catalog too, my Stepson has some of the compression fit baselayer stuff the Military uses, his brother who is a Marine gave it to him he likes it but says he get a bit too hot in it.

Wildcard28

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i wear a t-shirt, long sleeved shirt then a riding shirt under my coat. then pajama? pants and my bibs. one pair of regular socks and a thick pair, i'm ready to ride:)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
for shirts i wear a moisure wicking long sleeve running top, then coat if its 20+ out.. if its cold, i double up on the running tops. bottoms. 30+ i rock shorts underneath my snow pants. colder and i throw on the long pajama bottoms.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I really like SmartWool, Undor Armor and North Face.

I bought the Undor Armor in the Summer on closeout from Sportsman's Warehous. Most of my North Face stuff were gifts (they have a lifetime guarantee!). SmartWool is probably the best, but I know it is pricey. Luckily I have a Pro-card on the SmartWool through work.

With that, I think you can find some great deals. Shop in the off-season! Costco also has some stuff that is really good. I can't remember the brand, I'll try to find the name.

S

sledhed21

Dec 19, 2008
under garment or base layer

I wear the patagonia base layer; it's stretchable material keeps wicks sweat and helps maintain body heat, then the klim zip up mid layer then my klim goretex shell- this rocks. Works in CO and WY

Jan 7, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have several brands of fisrts layer, klim underarmour and ??? all seem to work good. I then wear a medium weight wool zip front sweater that is alos wind stopper. ON really cold (-10) or lower I will add a fleece or vest over this. Fills the jacket though.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Hello Everyone I have been shopping around for a good Base Layer clothing or undergarments

I have seen different options from your normal Long Johns which is what I have always worn but I have read that a Cotton material is not a good base layer, I sweat like crazy in the normal long underwear. I have seen Arctiva base layer clothin and Klim many different brands at the local Hunting and outdoor store. I actually purchased one (just the shirt part to see what they feel like) at Walmart this evening that are named Rocky /Mens compression fit Thermal Top is says 4way stretch, Moisture Wicking , Rapid Drying, and are thin evidently for a High Activity Level and is a spandex like material.

I tried them on and you can feel how they hold your body heat and are warm feeling but not sure if they are good for snowmobiling.

Is this what you guys wear of is the Klim or Arctiva etc.. A different material or are you just paying for a name? Klim and Activa call there a polyester spandex type material.

Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. how many layers do you usually ride with?

Thanks, Darren

I don't have a problem with getting cold, this is what I wear, Plus carry an extra sweat shirt in my pack, and 3 extra pair of gloves 2 extra pair of googles,

Long john
Long sleved cotton shirt (Wrangler)
Flece pull over (Klim)
Water proof Event shell

Bottoms

Long johns
Wrangler jeans
Klim pants
Danner 600 gram boots

Last edited:
Premium Features