• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Under Garment or Base Layer: What Do You Wear

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello Everyone I have been shopping around for a good Base Layer clothing or undergarments

I have seen different options from your normal Long Johns which is what I have always worn but I have read that a Cotton material is not a good base layer, I sweat like crazy in the normal long underwear. I have seen Arctiva base layer clothin and Klim many different brands at the local Hunting and outdoor store. I actually purchased one (just the shirt part to see what they feel like) at Walmart this evening that are named Rocky /Mens compression fit Thermal Top is says 4way stretch, Moisture Wicking , Rapid Drying, and are thin evidently for a High Activity Level and is a spandex like material.

I tried them on and you can feel how they hold your body heat and are warm feeling but not sure if they are good for snowmobiling.

Is this what you guys wear of is the Klim or Arctiva etc.. A different material or are you just paying for a name? Klim and Activa call there a polyester spandex type material.

Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. how many layers do you usually ride with?

Thanks, Darren

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I bought the mid-weight thermal performance fleece from Walmart. I think it's suited much better for cold weather than the stretch fit stuff. I think the stretch fit might be better for indoor sports like hockey. The fleece works great. I used to wear a regular long sleeve t-shirt with a 2nd layer and then the pull-over. It was fine until I stopped for a bit and the sweat didn't wick away which gave me a chill for the rest of the day. With the perf. fleece I'm warm and dry all day. I still wear a mid layer just in case the temp drops. I can always take a layer off and put it in the tunnel bag if it's warmer.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Thanks Mac, so you were the performance fleece, what exactly do you were for the 2nd layer and what Pullover?

While I am thinking of it if anyone else wants to comment on this issue please mention what you wear for a 1st,2nd and Outwear layer, like what actual Pullover or Jacket maybe this thread will help others out too.

I am also in the market for a descent Jacket also.

I`ll look at the performance fleece you mentioned when I am at Walmart again.

Thanks, Wildcard28

S
Jan 15, 2008
PNW
lots of thin layers is better for keeping heat in and it also helps in reducing sweat build up which results in coldness. i just have a few long sleeve shirts, and a really thin sweatshirt i always wear.

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Cotton kills.

Just about any synthetic base layer works. The key is layering, and NO cotton in any layers. I have Klim base layers, but actually prefer a cheapo brand version as it's not compression fit like the Kilm's. If it mega cold I'll add a thin
fleece layer, then the Gore Tex.

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
I like helly hanson for base and mid layer with Klim on the out side.

X2 on the Helly Hanson base layer, the company I work for pays for $800 worth of work clothing each year, I bought 2 sets of the HH base layers, one for work and one for snowmobiling.

Haven't gotten to try it out on the sled yet, but based on how it works when I'm working outside it should be good. Only problem I find is if you go inside with it on be prepared to sweat like mad. Though even after being inside and sweating and then going outside to work I've never gotten cold, and I've worn it in -20C (windchill) so far.

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
x2 on the underarmor. I just bought the cold wear stuff for hunting and it's awesome! Might try this sleding instead of my klim base layer. Both seem great though

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
NEVER cotton a base layer
Helly hanson or Under Armour (or equivalent) is best
they are designed to wick moisture away from your body
BUT - this is where cotton is your friend, you need to absorb that moisture somehow

this is how I layer

TOP:
Under Armour cold gear long sleeve shirt, cotton t-shirt, 200 weight Helly Hanson fleece, EVS shest protector, TOBE Rockafella jacket

BOTTOM:
helly hanson LIFA pants, cotton sweat pants (local university style), HMK ascent pants

you still stay dry layering like this

I will adjust according to the weather, if its warmer, i ditch the 200 weith fleece and sweat pants or add more if its colder

also ensuring your outer layer breathes wll is important too
open those pit and leg venst when ur diggin your buddy out, let that heat escape and not build up

there you go....

P
Nov 20, 2008
I use the same stuff as i use when running my service truck. -10 and below i use Wind River polar fleece underwear, above i use Helly H thin stretchy so that it wicks. Outer for sledding is Columbia bibs and Choko jacket the one with 6 vents. For me venting is just as important as the wicking under layer, drys you off.

My .02

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I wear a regular t-shirt over the fleece, a tekvest and and the jacket over that. I attached a pic of a similar pullover to mine. The pullover is great because it's not bulky. I also wear a backpack with quite a bit of stuff so I didn't want a jacket that is restricting.
If I know the temperatures are going to be really cold, I'll wear a jacket with proper insulation/fill. I find I can't wear a long sleeve shirt over the long sleeve fleece with a jacket cause it tends to bunch up at my elbow and starts to cut off the circulation.
I wear polar fleece long underwear as well with a pair of HJC full bib pants.

Thanks Mac, so you were the performance fleece, what exactly do you were for the 2nd layer and what Pullover?

While I am thinking of it if anyone else wants to comment on this issue please mention what you wear for a 1st,2nd and Outwear layer, like what actual Pullover or Jacket maybe this thread will help others out too.

I am also in the market for a descent Jacket also.

I`ll look at the performance fleece you mentioned when I am at Walmart again.

Thanks, Wildcard28

fxr.jpg

Pedersen

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2009
Lofoten, Norway
Like wool best, and if its itchy use merinowool. Syntetic material that is used in most underwear just dont seem to keep ME dry. Use a brand called Janus, good and ok price. You can see it on www.janus.no (you can choose english text too) Use a set called black wool, and on cold days I use terrywool too. Not that I dont like other brands, but they sell Janus where I shop my Workclothes, and the have an ok price. Pay around 100$ for a set.

S
Sep 22, 2005
Pocatello, Id
Base layer

I wear a lightweight thermal power stretch fleece long underwear. This stuff will wick the sweat away. You can buy from a gal who makes it in Montpelier, Idaho. It is $65 for a set of tops and bottom. I bought my first about 3 years ago, still have them and another 2 sets now. She now has a web site that you can order from. Customsewingbycolleen.com. Great stuff!

F

fitler

May 14, 2009
I did a search for this earlier this summer and was turned to

http://www.ruoutside.com/

i bought there base layer boxers, long john pants and and top. over the top i wear a burton mid layer then 661 protector. and burton bibs cover bottom. they are great not only because they seal all elements out but they also have huge vents on the inside of both knees right where my pads are. topped it all off with a closeout deal on scott bow jacket. I wanted fxr but went with the deal for less then half the price.
I don't see the identical pants on there website (ru) anymore but the ones i received had some extra material on the knees that are great with my knee pads. What i really like about this stuff is that it doesn't feel tight like the underarmor that i used to wear for sports. I don't know if Under armor now sells less restrictive stuff. Prices are very reasonable also.

For now it all remains untested because it no longer snows in CO.

Last edited:
Premium Features