• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SideWinder reviews?

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Have you done the roll over valve yet? I dont loose any amount of oil at all regardless of position if it is engaged and on.

Hey, I had one but I sold it before I installed it, mostly because I thought I was going to sell the Viper..

I fell off the sled while doing a huge carve and the sled stopped kind of on its side. My tether shut the sled down. On a 2 stroke I would have just put my tether back on started it up and stood on the high side and dodged on. I tried that on my Viper and a ton of oil shot out the exhaust and because I was semi-stuck.. It stuck into the snow then the exhaust shot the snow/oil up the side panel.. What a mess.

I agree the rov is a great thing to have, but it doesn't solve all the problems.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Red deer Alberta
First of all anyone that is talking about the oil rollover problems of the viper, stop right now. I rode a sidewinder on a Yamaha demo day. They gave me and 3 other friends our own brand new Sidewinders for the entire day, ride it like we owned it they said. The weather was cloudy and snowy with 2 feet of fresh on top of the hill with a crappy trail ride up, 2 foot whoops the whole way. It was the exactly worst case senerio for riding a big heavy 4 stroke. The sleds ran flawless, we flipped them, rolled them and endoed them several times. When we got stuck we rolled them over like a 2stroke to get them out, not a drop of oil ever came out period. We rode in the trees and these sleds are not front end heavy or divey like i thought. Hill climbing is amazing and the power and torque is amazing for a factory sled. These sleds are a very big contender for me and I ride a lightweight 2013 pro with a turbo. Do you feel the extra weight, yes but it is not a huge difference like you think especially when you can dump 40-50 pounds off really fast, can, seat, battery, and airbox. The only thing we noticed is the intake temps were up pretty high and that is because of the restrictive airbox and lack of cold air, nothing to worry about as people are already making better airboxes. The sled did have the typical yammie rattle in the clutches but there is a fix for it as well. This sled simply works, I will most likely be on one next year and mine will have a 174 track on it if they dont come out with one from the factory oh and the rear shock is junk but that is not hard to fix with a zbros coilover. I predict we will see more of these out on the hills again once word gets out about these rockets but we will see I guess.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
First of all anyone that is talking about the oil rollover problems of the viper, stop right now. I rode a sidewinder on a Yamaha demo day. They gave me and 3 other friends our own brand new Sidewinders for the entire day, ride it like we owned it they said. The weather was cloudy and snowy with 2 feet of fresh on top of the hill with a crappy trail ride up, 2 foot whoops the whole way. It was the exactly worst case senerio for riding a big heavy 4 stroke. The sleds ran flawless, we flipped them, rolled them and endoed them several times. When we got stuck we rolled them over like a 2stroke to get them out, not a drop of oil ever came out period. We rode in the trees and these sleds are not front end heavy or divey like i thought. Hill climbing is amazing and the power and torque is amazing for a factory sled. These sleds are a very big contender for me and I ride a lightweight 2013 pro with a turbo. Do you feel the extra weight, yes but it is not a huge difference like you think especially when you can dump 40-50 pounds off really fast, can, seat, battery, and airbox. The only thing we noticed is the intake temps were up pretty high and that is because of the restrictive airbox and lack of cold air, nothing to worry about as people are already making better airboxes. The sled did have the typical yammie rattle in the clutches but there is a fix for it as well. This sled simply works, I will most likely be on one next year and mine will have a 174 track on it if they dont come out with one from the factory oh and the rear shock is junk but that is not hard to fix with a zbros coilover. I predict we will see more of these out on the hills again once word gets out about these rockets but we will see I guess.

Thanks for that. Exactly what I wanted to read. I have seen lots of Vipers go either way as well.. some lose lots of oil, some don't lose any.. So we will see if all Sidewinders are good in time.. I really hope so!

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I got the chance to demo a Sidewinder last weekend with Outlaw Motorsports. I think it's a great sled and worth buying. I think they are great for every riding style (trees, climbing, boondocking and trees). What you are able to do with a sled is largely dependent on the rider. If you are interested or on the fence about buying a Sidewinder call Outlaw Motorsports in Enterprise, OR and ask them to take you on a demo ride. The James' family are very helpful and friendly. They are some of the best riders I've ever seen. Good luck trying to out ride them. Thanks again Outlaw for an awesome weekend.

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
Went out with Yamaha power tour and tried out the sidewinder for the day. All I got to say is WOW! really impressed with this package. The power is incredible and no turbo lag whatsoever. few of us went play in the trees and I was nervous about taking this over 600 lbs sled through the trees and ravine. This sled surprise me you can point that thing and go thru anything and toss that thing around. truly impressed. I currently ride 858 rmk pro and I am going to trade it in for the sidewinder. if you guys are thinking about the sidewinder I encourage you to demo the sled and give it a try.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Did you get to ride it?

No, he forgot to bring a spare belt and I didn't want to risk it. I'm sure I'll have plenty more opportunities this winter.

It looks like fun though and he had no problem taking that sled anywhere he wanted to go. I look forward to him putting a can on that sled though because it is quiet! It'll sneak up on you.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
No, he forgot to bring a spare belt and I didn't want to risk it. I'm sure I'll have plenty more opportunities this winter.

It looks like fun though and he had no problem taking that sled anywhere he wanted to go. I look forward to him putting a can on that sled though because it is quiet! It'll sneak up on you.

Ha! And nobody likes a sneaky sled.

I remember that Nypex he had (may still have it) had a quiet exhaust on it at one point. I asked him about it and he wasn't giving me nothin. He said he'd sell it to me, but wouldn't tell me what it was.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK

Does it eat belts?

And is it bone stock or or is it modded?

I
Nov 26, 2007
Does it eat belts?

And is it bone stock or or is it modded?

Bone stock for now, I think he's looking into a tune and can. I don't think it eats belts, he burned one on that ride but it was a long nasty side hill to get in with some alders in the way. We had to go around an XM that destroyed its secondary so i I don't think it's fair to judge any sled that lost a belt on that pull.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
Demo

Anyone ever deal with Blitz Motorsports (Bozeman) or Alpine (Livingston)? We have a group of 8+(all ride new Polaris) heading out next week to Big Sky and I would love to try one out if they'd meet us out for a day. Think they'd be game for a few hour demo for our group if they had one?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My buddy owns alpine yamaha. I don't know if he'd be game or not. His name is Wayne. You would have to call him. I guess my question is what does he have to gain? You guys are from Wisconsin.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
My buddy owns alpine yamaha. I don't know if he'd be game or not. His name is Wayne. You would have to call him. I guess my question is what does he have to gain? You guys are from Wisconsin.

Dozen guys. Go through there dozen times a year. I am actively trying to move to the area.

I understand though. Thanks for the reply.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Rode new sidewinder heavy typical Yamaha not for me. Sled tends to dive in deep snow reminds me of nytro.

Premium Features