• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain cat beltdrive

N
Mar 8, 2018
Sweden
Hello!
I'm thinking of buying a belt drive for my 2017 mountain cat and I'm wondering if it will fit an alpha one? not sure if its worth to buy a beltdrive since im most likely going to buy an alpha for the 2019/2020 season anyway.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I don't believe there were any changes is the 19 chain case so it should be the same. I would check with a dealer once the production is complete. Now for the 19/20 Alpha who knows, AC is due for a chassis update when is that coming ??? With the addition of the Alpha they may sit on the Ascender chassis for a bit as it is updated from the Pro climb. Not sure what direction there heading but standing still is not a option. I believe the Alpha will be the leading sled for the deep snow crowd.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Gears/belt are the same. the cover/oil tank are different so not much of it transfers over. Just call TOM at TKI, he can give you an exact list of what will work and walk you through if it makes $$ sense for you.

N
Mar 8, 2018
Sweden
Okey, will the 19 oil tank work on the 17 maybe? Feels like it should be slimmer than 17 so if it has the same connector for the oil hose and level sensor it should work

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Okey, will the 19 oil tank work on the 17 maybe? Feels like it should be slimmer than 17 so if it has the same connector for the oil hose and level sensor it should work
No, the 18's and 19's both have the electric oil pump built into it where the 17's still had the mechanical pump on the motor. So the cover/tank assemblies is very different.

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
Is not the jackshaft different on the 18/19's Its now hollow and is a bigger diameter at the top gear.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What about the bottom gear on the aluminum drive shaft? Is it not different than the steel drive shaft?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
im in the same boat. id likely just sell my sled with the belt drive tho.
what im wondering is why people talk of drilling/tapping the jackshaft when TKI website says NO Moification of any stock parts nessessary? on older proclimbs as well..?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
im in the same boat. id likely just sell my sled with the belt drive tho.
what im wondering is why people talk of drilling/tapping the jackshaft when TKI website says NO Moification of any stock parts nessessary? on older proclimbs as well..?

Here's my experience with the different jackshafts:
-2014 jack shaft was drilled and tapped on the end from the factory.
-2015 shaft I have now was drilled, but not tapped so had to drill a little more and tap it.
-2016 shaft on my dad's sled was the same situation as my 2015 even though it's a different shaft all together: tap existing hole.
-I'm not sure on his 2017 MC as I didn't assist with that install, but imagine same as 2016?
-2018+ have hollow jackshaft and TKI uses an expanding aluminum anchor with a bolt to secure the top pulley to it. Similar to how a wraparound handguard secures to a handlebar.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Gears/belt are the same. the cover/oil tank are different so not much of it transfers over. Just call TOM at TKI, he can give you an exact list of what will work and walk you through if it makes $$ sense for you.

I'm with Wheel House. There's enough differences showing up here that might be the only way you'll know for sure. The main oil tank is the same and the secondary one bolts on over the top. I'd think Tom has the latest parts figured out so the cover stays the same (less parts to stock), but only he will know. Pictures attached of the last time I really looked at a 2018 kit. If you drill the plastic tank so the oil line reaches on the 2017 (they're short), you'd probably need a new one for the 2018 since it needs to be offset to clear the pump housing. Could lengthen the 2017 oil line or buy a new tank. They're pretty cheap.

TKI MC 1.jpg TKI MC 2.jpg TKI MC 3.jpg

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
thanks for the clarification boondocker. youre a proclimb encyclopedia :face-icon-small-coo
i can handle tapping a hole, interesting that his website states pretty clearly no modding stock parts tho..
was leaning towards MVM but i like tki's powdercoated or painted solid cover. seems like less snow and debris to fall into lower sprocket area.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If i remember correctly, the shaft is a hard metal. People had issues tapping themselves. TKI wiil swap u for a tapped shaft or tap urs for u.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Talked with Tom at TKI today about implications of swapping the newer 2018+ aluminum drive shaft into my 2017 MC chassis and belt drive. He said the lower gear would be the same, but I'd need a different inner hub for it to mount to. The newer shaft has much narrower splines so he uses a different hub and collar setup to hold the gear tight from wobbling and wearing things out. So another thing that would need to be changed transferring a kit from a 2017 to a 2018 or 2019.

The jackshafts are surface hardened so if they have the untapped hole from the factory you need a good bit to drill to final diameter before tapping yourself. Good cutting oil helps too.

Premium Features