• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Drives

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
For the last year I have been toying with the idea of running a belt drive and getting away from the chain and gear system on my 17 850 154 3 inch, I haven't been too happy with all the adjustment required and when I installed the up-dated chain and gears I was surprized to see how stretched last years chain was after only 1200 km. I like the idea of losing weight, both rotating and static. I like the idea of not blowing the chaincase apart if I lose a chain, however I'm not fond of the idea of blowing belts and changing them on the hill either.

So how many people have converted to a belt drive and what are you finding?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
700 miles on the tki setup no problems yet. Changing a belt might be a challenge on the tki setup in the field the bottom gear goes on tight and needs to be removed if you want to change the belt from what I can see.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
2600 miles on my belt with a 3" and a 900 top end on a 16 cat. Never even think about it. Going to change it this summer. You want to change a belt drive in the field as much as a chain

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have a TKI on my stocker as well. Zero issues. Not to mention I think Tom is a 11 out of 10 when it comes to vendors. The guy will do anything he can to help you out and stands behind his stuff 110%. I will say people who talk about changing a belt in the field is easier than a chain are full of it. My buddy grenaded his chain on the mountain and made it back to the truck to steal parts from another sled and was back to the broken chain and had it operational and back to the truck in way less time than it would to take to change the belt. It's a chore and takes more tools. People who buy things for the sole purpose that they are easier to fix when broken are not very smart if you ask me. :face-icon-small-con

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I appreciate everyone's comments, thanks. I only raise the issue of in field belt changing as I have read where people are having to do this basically because of belt tension (sort of a learning curve thing). I do have a buddy that runs a TKI in his 14 Cat and has no issues but I wanted to encompass a wider spectrum of people and specifically, the 850 Doo, however any and all feedback is appreciated.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I appreciate everyone's comments, thanks. I only raise the issue of in field belt changing as I have read where people are having to do this basically because of belt tension (sort of a learning curve thing). I do have a buddy that runs a TKI in his 14 Cat and has no issues but I wanted to encompass a wider spectrum of people and specifically, the 850 Doo, however any and all feedback is appreciated.

I sell TKI so I hear all the feedback. I also run them on 2 Polaris and 1 Ski-Doo. They simply are reliable and you will not likely ever have to change the belt in the field. Set it and forget it.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Easy 40,000kms on my belt drive. Pretty easy to replace a blown belt, not so easy to replace a blown chain case on the mountain.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
I plan on getting a tki this summer for mine as well. I didn't realize the belts were hard to change. Looks straight forward but doesn't sound like it is. I do like the thought that if the belt blows it's not going to wreck several other thing in it's path.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
tiki belt drive, 174 x 3" track, stock engine...3 years, no problems, belt looks fine, adjusted once after 50 miles, haven't touched it since...i was concerned when i first got mine also, i changed it in my garage a couple of times just so i would know how to do it it the field...guaranty it's much easier than a chain, don't have to worry about oil, and the big one, a crunched chaincase that lets all the oil out...no serious downside that i have seen so far..

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stories you people are hearing, pretty easy to change the belt on the belt drive 15 mins tops once you know what to do.

on the g4 it is not 15 mins..have to heat the bottom gear and remove to get the belt off, its actually quite a bit of work and unless you carry a torch or heat gun(and a few extra tools) you will not change it in the field. This is due to the g4 chaincase extending below the running board. Maybe the running board could be hacked up a bit to make some room?

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
went to check sled out and if you are willing to cut the running board then you would be able to change out in the field

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think if the running board is modified, then removing the top gear, bottom cover and spacer in the middle then it could be changed fairly easy in the field in a decent amount of time..

Last edited:

grich8888

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
This might be a downer for you to hear but...

Honestly, I ran a belt drive on my t3 and the only thing I noticed was that I spent $800 plus buying an extra belt( total around $920). No performance gain - no faster spool up, didn't require any clutching changes. Two things I did notice, I spend nearly 1Kand it sounded a little different. I was really hopeful and wanting to believe the 'less rotating mass' and less weight. We installed 3 of these that year and none of us have spent the money to put one back on our new sleds. Now, if my sled came with a belt drive I would keep it but I did not and do not see any reason to spend the money for a belt drive. I have a turbo G4 now and do not miss the belt drive

Premium Features