• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P85 clutch puller for PSI motor - just the standard polaris clutch puller, right?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
having a major wrestling match trying to get clutch off PSI 1085 motor and currently losing.

the puller is based on the clutch right??? A different crank wouldn't require a different puller right???

Thanks guys!!

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
having a major wrestling match trying to get clutch off PSI 1085 motor and currently losing.

the puller is based on the clutch right??? A different crank wouldn't require a different puller right???

Thanks guys!!

It should be the clutch puller for the 02 and newer Polaris big twins.
the clutch determines the puller yes.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Dick, you need the standard p85 puller for the 800rmk, but you need to machine a little more taper into it our you'll booger up the threads inside the PTO end of the crank. You don't want that.

You do have to modify the puller. I'll post pics of mine.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
OK so here's what i have done. The puller I have is the standard polaris p85 puller and it threads perfectly into the standard p85 I am trying to remove from the PSI 1085 motor with RAD crank. Since i was having the problem of getting the 1085 clutch off I checked the puller on my PSI 890 crank which is also a RAD crank and the tip of the puller seemed to fit into the 890 crank hole just fine leaving more than enough room that should be necesary to pop the clutch without bumping up against the crank.

Knowing that the puller seemed to fit just fine with the 890 crank I thought I should be good to go using it on the 1085.........it sounds like your experience has been different??

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Your 890 is a top-end kit right? The bottom end is a Polaris OEM case and RAD crank.

1200psi

Nov 26, 2007
logan ut
www.poweraddictionracing.com
YOU have to machine the end of the puller down because psi used a 12mm bolt instead of the 14 mm witch is stock. IF you havent already ruined the threads putting the stock puller and trying to get it off you will so you need to machine the end of the puller down so it is smaller than the id of 12 mm bolt.

Brad

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Negative.

Bottom end is a PSI case with RAD crank. Apparantly PSI made some of these motors for Scorpion before Scorpion went belly-up. Check out the PSI 890 in the Miscellaneous forum that is in the Scorpion sled. I believe that is the same motor I have although mine is decked out with the dial-a-dome head. I dont believe Scorpion used polaris bottoms and PSI top end kits. I'm not 100% positive but I think my bottom end is compatible with bigger cylinders and pistons but I would have to look into more.

Back to the puller issue...........you're completely right. I just spoke to Brewster and he said the same thing. Can I borrow yours to see if Mike/Fabcraft can machine mine to match??

So now I have two new issues on my hands: 1.) have I damaged the threads in the crank on my 1085, 2.) did I damage the threads on my 890 crank years back when i pulled the 890 clutch and motor to throw in the 1085.

I've read through the PSI literature countless times and i never recall this issue. Bummer.

I may be drinking heavily tonight.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Thanks Brad. I knew that I was right, but I just didn't know the numbers.
I remember that I was told if I ever tried to put an un-turned puller in there just once then I would be faced with a heck of a problem.

Yes Dick, you can borrow mine for specs if you are wanting to make one of your own. I think that Mikey is who turned mine down too, back in the day.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Let me know if you're headed over to see Mike later this week or if you are headed to Missoula and I can pick it up at your convenience.

How the heck I never was clear on this is unbelievably dumb on my part. Lesson learned.:doh:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I could drop it off with Mike just about any day. Might be able to do it tomorrow if you want me to.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Totally at your covenience Scott and no need to make a special trip. No rush. Not riding this weekend.

As you guessed the threads in the crank on the 1085 are toast. Clutch bolt just spins and wont grab a dam thing.

The threads on the 890 appear to be fine. If i recall Chad at Sages actually did the motor swap for me years back so I guess he and Steve were clear on the clutch puller issue. I know Steve had plenty of experience with the PSI motors. Clutch bolt seems to thread just fine.

Thanks for the tip on the puller.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Or you could just hydraulic the clutch off!

take your puller and cut it off just below the threads, tip your sled on its side, fill the center hole in the clutch with water, get the yellow colored teflon tape (its for gas pipe fittings and makes a better seal), wrap the threads of the puller, thread in your puller and BAM! puller wont even touch the crank!!! water/hydraulic pressure pops it off, just make sure you thread the puller down far enough onto the clutch so it has plenty to grab hold of.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I could take a pic of the puller and post it.
BUT that't be hard to compare with an unmodded puller unless they were sitting side by side.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I agree. It would be convenient for Mike to have yours in hand as he shaves mine.

I am also totally avialable to cruise down and pick it up. Let me know a time and place. I'll return it immediately.

Thanks a ton.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Dick I'll try to get it to Mike's shop today or tomorrow.
I've got a "long weekend" ahead of me that started today at 11:00.

Premium Features