• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Draining AV gas

cdebodt44

Lifetime Membership
Apr 3, 2016
Just wondering peoples experience with AV gas, leaving it in the sled for the summer. Do you normally drain and replace with fresh before the season? Current sled is a 17 Axys with a Silber kit.

I know AV has a longer shelf life than 91, but don’t have experience with this yet.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Leave it, its fine. Top up with fresh and good to go. Its has a much longer shelf life than 91 (years).

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Just wondering peoples experience with AV gas, leaving it in the sled for the summer. Do you normally drain and replace with fresh before the season? Current sled is a 17 Axys with a Silber kit.

I know AV has a longer shelf life than 91, but don’t have experience with this yet.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have run av gas in my sleds, turbo and n/a since 2003, I just top off with fresh and go, never had an issue.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I never drain it just top it off AV gas has to meet a standard to keep octane rating of a year per aviation guide lines. At least it used to be when I was flying.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
My routine is to top off the tank with Stabil and ethanol-free in the spring, then run a half can of Sea-Foam in the first fill of the season. Never had an issue, and I'm sure Avgas is even less likely to degrade. Actually, on that topic, I have a car that hit a deer a couple years ago and I haven't been able to scrape together the time, money, and room to fix (one of the downsides of building your own house, I'm lucky I rode at all last season) – anyway, I fire it up every six months or so, and so far it starts up like I'd run it yesterday.

If you've got time and money to burn and want to do the absolute safest thing, then drain and refill with fresh. Practically speaking though, unless the fuel you left in it was suspect, I say just run it.

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
I guess I am the minority here. I always drain mine and put fresh gas in. I don’t think the AV gas will go bad over the summer, however, there will be a little water from condensation. It takes me 20 minutes to pump it out and dump it in my Jeep and fill my sled up with fresh gas. Besides it's something to do while your waiting for it to snow :)

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
I run straight av in my junk. 17 Axys. I drain it and put in my lawnmower,weed eater and chainsaw oil for the winter. No need to waste money on stabil. Fill it with fresh. #7@3-6000 and never an issue. My siber runs flawless with straight AV an a splash of oil @ 7#. That is were people screw up. 865 miles when first belt let go. You wanted a hot rod sled. Feed it good.

Premium Features