• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching Guys, Got a request for ya

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
I know there are a ton of newbs on here when it comes to clutches. In the interest of learning some basics I was wondering if we could get a how to of sort from some of you guys on basic things like step by step of how to change weights in our primary, maybe pics with each step? What to look for and cleaning and for maintanence. I for one would love to learn this stuff so I can work on my stuff and keep it running right and not have to haul my sled 60 miles to have things changed on it. Thanks in advance Bubba

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I'm going to be working on my clutches here in the next couple weeks. I will TRY to remember to do this.

well crap shortstop, I end up having to work on mine all the time..whats up with that? j/k but I have been experimenting alot lately...

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
I'm going to be working on my clutches here in the next couple weeks. I will TRY to remember to do this.
Would be very appreciated.
I recommend you buy the polaris service manual, then you'll have alot of other info as well, like checking camber and stuff
Im looking into it but manual talk and lamans terms are 2 different things.
I agree, I think it would be a good Winter Sticky.

Bubba: get rid of thet Ugly Avatar and we might get better input. I think you're scaring everyone. Ha HA;):beer;

Sledhead 2 words for ya ..........Go Courgars!!!!

Would like to maybe have it stickyed at the top would be great info for beginners. That maybe are taking a trip and just need to change weights but dont know how. Simple things that people can do instead of hauling their goat into a shop and getting raped on the service charge.

K

krat

Jul 30, 2008
Montreal, Qc, Canada
aaentuning.jpg

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
You can change weights on the hill by taking your belt off and get a bar and pry against the spider once you get it opened up enough to get to the weight put a screw driver handle in there to hold it open be gentel so you don't scare things up . If you go bigger on the weights you might need to go bigger on the spring also to keep your rpm . Do one thing at a time so you know what way you are going . If you need to change the spring on the hill it can be done if you get a freind to hold the cover plate while you loosen the bolts . When you put it back together line the cover plate back in the same spot .

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Good vids, Thats the stuff I had in mind. Anyone got a good method for compressing the spring on the primary while still on the sled? Like the idea of being able to change weights out on the hill to test a few things out.

thats pretty easy bubba, I use a blunted snap-on screw driver about 14 in. long and a 1/2 in. socket..remove belt, hook screwdriver in between spider and movable(being very carefull) pry open until socket will fit between, change weights, remove socket....done

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
You can change weights on the hill by taking your belt off and get a bar and pry against the spider once you get it opened up enough to get to the weight put a screw driver handle in there to hold it open be gentel so you don't scare things up . If you go bigger on the weights you might need to go bigger on the spring also to keep your rpm . Do one thing at a time so you know what way you are going . If you need to change the spring on the hill it can be done if you get a freind to hold the cover plate while you loosen the bolts . When you put it back together line the cover plate back in the same spot .

thats pretty easy bubba, I use a blunted snap-on screw driver about 14 in. long and a 1/2 in. socket..remove belt, hook screwdriver in between spider and movable(being very carefull) pry open until socket will fit between, change weights, remove socket....done

Thanks to both of you! That sorta simple stuff is what Im looking for.

All new to me since this is the 3rd season of riding. Just learning what dif. springs, weights, and helixs do, any and all info is appreciated.

Premium Features