• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 YZ450F mods needed?

N
Nov 28, 2015
Utah
Ok, I am a first year snow biker. I jumped in with both feet. I bought a new 2018 YZ450F and snow checked the Timbersled Aro 120LE. I’ve had the bike for a couple months and am now preparing for the snowbike season. So my questions are for anyone with experience to post some recommendations of what they are doing about the battery (I am told will not work below freezing because a chip board with the battery?) and air intakes? Or anything I should prepare on my bike for Snow biking.
I have added...
air pro
P3 carbon pipe guards
Trail tech TTO
Thermbob
I want when available a rekluse

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
2018 yz

Sounds like your on your way to a great setup. I have a 17fx. I have lead stock battery which may fit the 18? It cranks good in cold. Regarding the air intake there are couple posts on here with options. Fwiw, I removed the stock filter etc, and made a cage assembly that attached to the throttle body and held a prefilter. The prefilter/cage was as large as would fit in the cavity under the cover. Then I linded the intake area around the cage with prefilter material. Two sided tape holds the filter material in place. I also covered the intake horn openings over the rads with prefilter and added a few holes on the underside of horn covered with prefilter. I found that without prefilter limiting snow intake thru the intake horns and into the cage cavity (from primarily the area between the rads) that in the right conditions the intake cage area would fill with snow and choke bike. Three fx's in our group. On powder days, two with just prefilter cage choked out while I had no snow in cage area and ran flawlessly. Good luck with your setup!

I'd suggest a snowshield or engine cover to help keep temps up. Intake wise, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Ran a pod filter on the 17, will probably end up doing the same on the 18.

My fingers are crossed that the battery will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about the rekluse, they're more of a nuisance on the snow than anything.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
No more than they cost the CR racing or RMX intake are a cheap and simple alternative for the intake. I just bought a holdover 16 YZ450F for my snow bike they have the same intake. I run a machine shop so I'm making a knockoff of the CR intake for less than $10 total. Or I would buy one myself I like their idea better because it still incorporates the air temp sensor in the intake. Im not sure the RMX does. The CR does require cutting the intake cover but that's a 14.00 part so who cares especially if it's a dedicated snow bike.

Otherwise I have pretty much the same setup with out E-start and fancy Bluetooth. The 18 is a sweet bike!

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
I too also bought a 2018 YZ 450F .Going to be for snowbiking only. The Seat Is going to be horrible . Told Seat concepts won’t have a seat till Christmas :face-icon-small-sad. Going to install Raze heated Handlebars and cyclops Penetrator 630.
Looking for Aluminum rad Gaurds . Hoping this gonna be a wicked snowbike.

Last edited:
N
Nov 28, 2015
Utah
Same as last years f and FX.

I took a picture of my bike and setup but uploading on this site is not working well might be my connection. Love your pic of your bike with kit... we have the same bike color and all! I added the Yamaha radiator full reinforced frame to mine. Just wish it had the front guards like my Devol had. The plastic ones suck, but I had to do something because I cannot keep wheels down all the time!

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
I couldnt find P3 guards for the 2018. Looks like the 2018 mount on right side is diffeent than 17?
Left side looked the same?

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
Installed a garmin Montana on my 18 YZ . Wired it to brown wire going to the (CCU Communication Control Unit) as Garmin Draws minimal power so can’t see it causing issues. Unless someone can chime in.Seems good. Powers off after bike dormant for couple minutes. Touch the button again and wakes up.

Also unplugged\removed launch control. Anybody foresee this causing issues?

994904E5-C5A5-4E41-ABDE-154894961D5A.jpg 4826EC6B-14FC-4B69-A06D-628F1D53CEAC.jpg

Last edited:
T
Oct 16, 2017
Sounds like your on your way to a great setup. I have a 17fx. I have lead stock battery which may fit the 18? It cranks good in cold. Regarding the air intake there are couple posts on here with options. Fwiw, I removed the stock filter etc, and made a cage assembly that attached to the throttle body and held a prefilter. The prefilter/cage was as large as would fit in the cavity under the cover. Then I linded the intake area around the cage with prefilter material. Two sided tape holds the filter material in place. I also covered the intake horn openings over the rads with prefilter and added a few holes on the underside of horn covered with prefilter. I found that without prefilter limiting snow intake thru the intake horns and into the cage cavity (from primarily the area between the rads) that in the right conditions the intake cage area would fill with snow and choke bike. Three fx's in our group. On powder days, two with just prefilter cage choked out while I had no snow in cage area and ran flawlessly. Good luck with your setup!

Would you mind posting a few pics of your setup? I'm in nearly identical situation to the OP. Have everything sorted except intake ATM.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Intake yz

Would you mind posting a few pics of your setup? I'm in nearly identical situation to the OP. Have everything sorted except intake ATM.

I will take some photos. Not certain on how to post. Might have to email to someone who knows how to post.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I tried my fx battery in my 18 an no go would need to swap the battery trays which is abit of a pain . So far my stock battery is starting up bike in cooler conditions . I used to just prefilter my intake horns on the shrouds an run a sock on the plastic air filter cage on the older Yzs but this 18 the shrouds/Intake horn are two piece so I went with a cr Intake

AD05AF35-F0AE-42F8-8F03-F80497D68E32.jpg

Premium Features