• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

440 Wedge 141"

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Any thoughts on upgrading a 133 to a 141? I'm thinking the rail extension from a 136-144 should be the same length.

I'm not dead set on this but just thought if the kid likes the 440 enough and needs more track if this would be a viable option, or possibly too much for the Fuji 440. Currently geared with a 20:39 66 pitch chain. I do have an Aaen pipe which should add a small amount of power.

No snow yet so doing some shop dreaming.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
That should work. Just figure 136 to 144 is the same amount as you want to go I used the 136 to 156 extension set on my 133 to 153 swap a few years ago worked awesome! And with the right clutching and gearing yes the 440 will turn it. I have a 79 txl 340 with a 133 and low gearing turns it just dandy!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I put a 136 x 1.25 on my Indy Lite and only geared it down to 16:39. It pulls that track very well.

I imagine gearing down should be all that is needed for even a 500.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
part numbers on those two extension lengths should be the same. i would go for it! I would think a ratio of around 2.2 would be good with 8 tooth drivers on a 440 if your talking a 2" track and powder...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Any suggestions on the upper steering post mount?

It has the relatively flat plate with two bolts into the hoop and what appears to be a snap in plastic bushing. This steering post is a little smaller than the later posts so I'm not sure I can just use a newer Polaris mount.

It has little slop in it and I would like to clean it up since I have higher bars on it now which will magnify the play.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I haven't committed to the 141" track yet, but I am installing an IQ seat and Pro-Taper bars. Slow project as there is minimal time to get it done right now.

I'm filling in the gap between the bottom of the seat and the tank. I will smooth it down and cover it then make a bag to finish off the rest of the gap. Boy does that stuff expand!!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I haven't committed to the 141" track yet, but I am installing an IQ seat and Pro-Taper bars. Slow project as there is minimal time to get it done right now.

I'm filling in the gap between the bottom of the seat and the tank. I will smooth it down and cover it then make a bag to finish off the rest of the gap. Boy does that stuff expand!!

The "Big Gap Filler" statement on the side of the can doesn't quite do it justice! LOL

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The lawn mower went un-scathed so far. The upper half of an old CB radio case volunteered though.

I got the foam broke loose and ground down to size. I embedded some strips of UHMW under the foam to act as staple strips like you would have under the stock seat. I inserted some screws so they were providing anchor points for the foam to adhere to.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Still piddling with this thing.

The front steering scissor arm has slop in it around the vertical pivot bolt. The sled has 1100 miles on it and I wonder if I would gain much by replacing the brass bushings in the pivot. What are the chances that new bushings won't be a lot tighter and I could do better by using a Coors shim in the void?

Pivot I'm referring to is below the Y-pipe.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Still piddling with this thing.

The front steering scissor arm has slop in it around the vertical pivot bolt. The sled has 1100 miles on it and I wonder if I would gain much by replacing the brass bushings in the pivot. What are the chances that new bushings won't be a lot tighter and I could do better by using a Coors shim in the void?

Pivot I'm referring to is below the Y-pipe.

VB,

I'm thinking a good fit for bronze bushings in that appliation would be less than .005" but not so tight that it binds.

If OEM bushings are not readily available or too costly, you could try a bearing supply store to see if they have oilite bushings that are the correct size. Oilite bushings are usually cheap.

You'd probably need to have .010" to .015" clearance to be able to use a beer can as a spacer.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The bushings are not quite worn enough to do much with them. Clean and re-grease and put back together.

I got the seat mounted finally and need to figure out which wire is which so I can get it finalized. I will make a bag for under the seat, but need to get the handlebar controls taken care of now.

Cleaned the carbs and jetted up for the pipe. It has a pin hole in it so I have to get it fixed first.

Premium Features