• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP pipe issue

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
My bmp pipe is fine with 1000 miles on it. Sold the slp pipe after 100 miles because it was starting to crack but I guess it was improperly installed.

Last edited:
B
Mar 1, 2009
Mine cracked exact same way. 17 with 500 miles . It was installed correctly . Would be a lot better if SLP would just say we F-ed up and used too thin of metal.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I was going to try one of there Doo 850 pipes, not anymore after reading this.

S
Feb 6, 2013
Has anyone ever seen a pipe do this? I have seen them crack next to a weld but not out away from a weld like this. I was riding yesterday sled was running good pulling 8400 and out of nowhere it dropped to 7900 to 8000 rpm and the tone changed. I knew something was wrong and I stopped and found this. The sled is a 2017 axys with about 800 miles (500ish on the pipe). I am not here to bash SLP, just asking if anyone has had this happen. I am going to contact SLP and see if they will help me out. I am confident they will do something for me.

yes. twice now pipe and silencer.. hopefully they come up with a solution. thankfully they've replaced both items. but now i have a new pipe set up shelved as Ive proved them to be unreliable as well as others. Ive always used SLP products and have never had a sled out last their performance pipes or silencers.

IMG_3776.jpg IMG_3779.jpg IMG_3996.jpg IMG_5617.jpg IMG_5618.jpg SLP Cracked Can 2017 polaris 800 axys 706 miles.jpg

SLP

Premium Member
We sometimes hesitate to post on the Snowest Forum because often a thread can turn into a bash session rather than a discussion with the intention of solving a problem. The purpose of the information included in my previous post was an attempt to provide answers for anyone looking for ways to prevent issues with their Axys exhaust from a durability standpoint regardless of exhaust brand, whether it is an SLP, Bikeman, Straightline, OEM or any other manufacturer.

I have posted my name and contact information intentionally. We strive at SLP to take care of every customer that has had an issue with our product. Nick04Cobra, I apologize that your request for help with your silencer has gone unanswered. I have sent you an e-mail via the Snowest forum. Please contact me with details so that I can help you.

Best Regards,

Adam Wood
(208)529.0244
adam@slp.cc

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
We sometimes hesitate to post on the Snowest Forum because often a thread can turn into a bash session rather than a discussion with the intention of solving a problem. The purpose of the information included in my previous post was an attempt to provide answers for anyone looking for ways to prevent issues with their Axys exhaust from a durability standpoint regardless of exhaust brand, whether it is an SLP, Bikeman, Straightline, OEM or any other manufacturer.

I have posted my name and contact information intentionally. We strive at SLP to take care of every customer that has had an issue with our product. Nick04Cobra, I apologize that your request for help with your silencer has gone unanswered. I have sent you an e-mail via the Snowest forum. Please contact me with details so that I can help you.

Best Regards,

Adam Wood

(208)529.0244

adam@slp.cc

Why not at least mention the fact that there are some failures that are quality related and not push ALL THE BLAME on customers that can’t get the install right? I don’t understand this.

MTNRCR

Lifetime Membership
My pipe has the crack at the temp sensor port and has had the extra band on the center section since new. Had my dealer contact them in Jan and still no resolution. I’ve always run SLP stuff but I’m done .... I have no interference issues but just can’t trust there parts anymore. It’s to bad they used to be a good vendor.

6543EA02-829F-4BE8-9070-E46E9BC75BB2.jpg

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Please don't take my comments personally, but thought I would throw in my .02....

I didn't think Adam/SLP's response was unreasonable - he explained several issues related to the movement of the motor (that we all know exists) that can contribute to these failures. I have 480 miles on my current motor mounts and they are already shot. I thought he was just giving recommendations on dealing with several known issues to prevent failures.

I can also see the other side of this, looks like a lot of us heard "it's your fault". But I doubt that was his intention. I am giving him/SLP the benefit of the doubt because I have used SLP products for over 20 years and they have been great to work with. I did have a weld in a pipe (many years ago) with a pin hole leak and they took care of it. So out of all of the pipes I have purchased from them, I have only had one issue and they took care of me.

I'll probably get flamed for this post, I just hate to see the reputation they have worked so hard over the years to maintain get overlooked too quickly.

--Perk

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I'll add .02 more cents to this topic :)

I'm sure there have been pipes and silencers that have cracked or been damaged due to installer error. That can be said for every aftermarket part being sold.

I can say for 100% the 2 pipes I had crack, and 2 others that guys I rode with in 2016 when these pipes first came out were in fact installed 100% to the letter of the instructions. AND, all 3 of us are very much on top of sled maintenance. I personally had 3 new exhaust springs break in the first 400 miles and all of the pipes cracked between 600-800 miles. I'm sure the springs broke due to harmonics, and that is the same reason the pipes cracked near the EGT port and also why SLP's first update was to install a 2nd clamp in the expansion camber.

I think the metal, manufacturing process, and design all come into play as why so many of these pipes are failing in different ways. I also feel like they did not do enough testing with this pipe, due to the fact that they start to fail in under a 1,000 miles. They have also changed the design on this pipe 3-4 times now, that shows they dont really know how to fix the real problem.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
It's very simple, if the pipe has rub marks all over it from hitting cross members from low maintenance don't warranty it. If it looks good, just send a new pipe under warranty. Im thinking the stamping is to thin. Heck you could run the OEM pipe with a motor mount missing and it probably wouldn't crack.

Last edited:

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
We have 4 sleds set-up with SLP various stage kits and love them. 2 are race sleds with minimal miles. No issues.

2 are backcountry sleds. 2016 Assaults. One has 4500 miles, the other has 2700 miles. No issues.

All have SLP pipes and are ridden hard.

THANKS SLP:face-icon-small-hap

I
Nov 26, 2007
I'll add .02 more cents to this topic :)

I'm sure there have been pipes and silencers that have cracked or been damaged due to installer error. That can be said for every aftermarket part being sold.

I can say for 100% the 2 pipes I had crack, and 2 others that guys I rode with in 2016 when these pipes first came out were in fact installed 100% to the letter of the instructions. AND, all 3 of us are very much on top of sled maintenance. I personally had 3 new exhaust springs break in the first 400 miles and all of the pipes cracked between 600-800 miles. I'm sure the springs broke due to harmonics, and that is the same reason the pipes cracked near the EGT port and also why SLP's first update was to install a 2nd clamp in the expansion camber.

I think the metal, manufacturing process, and design all come into play as why so many of these pipes are failing in different ways. I also feel like they did not do enough testing with this pipe, due to the fact that they start to fail in under a 1,000 miles. They have also changed the design on this pipe 3-4 times now, that shows they dont really know how to fix the real problem.

Put silicone on your springs

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Where is all the hate coming from. I guess I can understand the disappointment when someone spends a lot of money on a product and there are some issues that seem to be affecting more than one of the pipes that are out there. This is a tough place to be for a small after market company that has provided quality products model year after model year. There were model years when a large percentage of powder sleds had the stock pipe removed before it even seen snow due to the amount of improvement left for the aftermarket to work with. Now we have sleds delivered to us from the factory well tuned with thin margins of improvement to be had. Think about what we are all asking for today (demanding) from the aftermarket. Make me a pipe that will increase HP by 5 to 10 %, make sure it saves me 5 to 10 Lbs, make sure it works with out affecting run-ability, durability, and will not void my warranty, or leave my stranded. Give me clear instruction on how to install and set this up for what I want it to do. Make sure I don't have to spend any time tuning so I can install and then just go ridding.(Ask an old timer about aftermarket products and tuning) Make sure you have the product ready to go fully durability tested the minute I receive my newest model sled. This is a very tall order that not many are able to do and when compared to even 10 or 15 years ago there are many less aftermarket companies still around even trying to serve this market. SLP came on the forum (reluctantly) (knowing what responses may be coming to anything they said), but still did to share /identify some known problems for all to look for and to request that they be contacted in the event you are one of their customers that is having problems so they can work toward a solution. In the early 1990's SLP warrantied a complete run of triple/ triple pipes I believe for the ultra when they went out the door with issues. They have provided untold amounts of quality products without issues before that and since then. Anyone of us has the option to risk it all, to design manufacture and market to a very small market and then do it again every 4 years for the newest model the mfg are coming out with, but few will because they know what they would be up against especially with even one mistep. As crappy as it is to be the one having problems with a product it looks to me that they are doing the same as they always have and are doing everything they can to correct the problems. Are they really on the third or fourth updated version? If so that tells me they refuse to give up, they are not ignoring it and will get it resolved. Should they just issue full refunds for all the pipes because they might fail and then close the doors due to bankruptcy, or continue to work on a solution and address the ones that are failing when and if they do. This issue could be due to a bad batch of steel that has nothing to do with the product design. I am not sure I would want to be the guy who is in charge of determining if this is a material issue beyond my control or a problem with the pipe design due to harmonics. I am sure it is just as crappy for them to have problems after providing what they truly believed to be a sound product that was intended to fill the tall orders that the market is demanding these days. If you want to have the best performance sometimes it comes with some risk. If you are not willing to take the risk there is always bone stock with an extended warranty option. Just my 2 cents, rant over.

nick04cobra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2013

Best Regards,

Adam Wood
(208)529.0244
adam@slp.cc

Email sent.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Where is all the hate coming from. I guess I can understand the disappointment when someone spends a lot of money on a product and there are some issues that seem to be affecting more than one of the pipes that are out there. This is a tough place to be for a small after market company that has provided quality products model year after model year. There were model years when a large percentage of powder sleds had the stock pipe removed before it even seen snow due to the amount of improvement left for the aftermarket to work with. Now we have sleds delivered to us from the factory well tuned with thin margins of improvement to be had. Think about what we are all asking for today (demanding) from the aftermarket. Make me a pipe that will increase HP by 5 to 10 %, make sure it saves me 5 to 10 Lbs, make sure it works with out affecting run-ability, durability, and will not void my warranty, or leave my stranded. Give me clear instruction on how to install and set this up for what I want it to do. Make sure I don't have to spend any time tuning so I can install and then just go ridding.(Ask an old timer about aftermarket products and tuning) Make sure you have the product ready to go fully durability tested the minute I receive my newest model sled. This is a very tall order that not many are able to do and when compared to even 10 or 15 years ago there are many less aftermarket companies still around even trying to serve this market. SLP came on the forum (reluctantly) (knowing what responses may be coming to anything they said), but still did to share /identify some known problems for all to look for and to request that they be contacted in the event you are one of their customers that is having problems so they can work toward a solution. In the early 1990's SLP warrantied a complete run of triple/ triple pipes I believe for the ultra when they went out the door with issues. They have provided untold amounts of quality products without issues before that and since then. Anyone of us has the option to risk it all, to design manufacture and market to a very small market and then do it again every 4 years for the newest model the mfg are coming out with, but few will because they know what they would be up against especially with even one mistep. As crappy as it is to be the one having problems with a product it looks to me that they are doing the same as they always have and are doing everything they can to correct the problems. Are they really on the third or fourth updated version? If so that tells me they refuse to give up, they are not ignoring it and will get it resolved. Should they just issue full refunds for all the pipes because they might fail and then close the doors due to bankruptcy, or continue to work on a solution and address the ones that are failing when and if they do. This issue could be due to a bad batch of steel that has nothing to do with the product design. I am not sure I would want to be the guy who is in charge of determining if this is a material issue beyond my control or a problem with the pipe design due to harmonics. I am sure it is just as crappy for them to have problems after providing what they truly believed to be a sound product that was intended to fill the tall orders that the market is demanding these days. If you want to have the best performance sometimes it comes with some risk. If you are not willing to take the risk there is always bone stock with an extended warranty option. Just my 2 cents, rant over.

All good points. But don’t make SLP out to be some sort of UNICEF operation. They charge what they want for their products. That cost includes everything you listed above and obviously a profit was still made. Otherwise SLP wouldn’t be here anymore.

Last edited:

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Thank you SLP for taking care of me on this issue. Just to let everyone know my pipe was a month out of warranty, I had it for 13 months. After SLP looked at the failure they agreed to send me a brand new pipe at no charge. Thanks again

Premium Features