• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Starting Issue

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
So here is an interesting problem that I hope someone on here can help us figure out. The sled is an 09 M1000 LE with y-pipe, can, reeds, koso egts, and boondocker box. Only about 750 miles on the sled.

The problem is that it doesn't want to start, sometimes. First occurrence was on the last ride last season. Running great shut it off for a break in riding then it took about 15 pulls to start it. Didn't even try to fire on any pull until the one it fired right up on and we just thought it was some kind of fluke thing.

The first ride that the sled had been out this season (yesterday) we were digging it out from being stuck up in the trees and the throttle got bumped ever so slightly and the thing just died. Got it down to the trail and worked on it for about an hour looking at the wiring to try to get spark back to the motor. We even unhooked the throttle safety switch. Gave up and started towing it back. Dad tried to start it while he was being pulled and it started after about three pulls.

Sled was running great other than if you put it in reverse it would not come back out of it. Motor would slowdown and restart again, but it would still be in reverse. We shut it off and restarted it and then it was in forward mode so he just started riding it back to the truck.

So we were still heading back to the truck and we opened it up down through a meadow and when we stopped at the the end to regroup he said the speedometer was acting funny and only showed 40-50mph when mine was showing 80 with him being ahead of me. He pushed a button on the speedo head and it died again just like before - no sputtering or hickups just died like you shut the key off. Throttle switch was still unhooked. Started towing it again and it fired right up when he pulled the rope. Continued to ride it again. Tach was doing funny things when the sled was idling but the motor was running smoothly-not like the tach indicated. Stopped on the side of the trail for another group of riders and it died but restarted again.

Shut it off when we got back to the truck and would not restart. I pulled it backward and pushed it forward across the snow about two feet and then it started first pull again. Went for another short ride and the sled ran great. Tach was working, didn't try reverse, throttle switch unhooked.

We've called a good dealer we know and even called Cat directly and neither one have heard of the problem and couldn't tell us anything. We were thinking that it is either someing in the speedo head interfering or the reverse module. BD box is working fine along with the egts and belt was off during towing. Sorry for the long post but this is a rather annoying problem we would like to figure out. Any suggestions?

M
Dec 27, 2008
kremtucky, co
A buddy of mine is experiencing the exact same problem but we havent figured
it out yet. We havent noticed a problem with the speedo yet but it does seem
like an electrical issue. The throttle switch is definetly acting up at times but
after a hard ride and shutting it off it doesnt want to start. It will start eventually after sitting for a while. I dont think it is flooded. Holding the throttle
wide open and trying to start has no effect and once it does start it has to idle a bit. If you touch the throttle even a little bit it will die. I dont think it is getting fuel. I suspect the fuel cap is not venting and causing a build up of vacuum in the fuel tank and once it is shut off it cant get enough initial fuel pressure to start. next time it happens were going to remove the fuel cap and
see if it starts. I also think the injectors may be getting too hot since he removed the shield for the oil delete. I will repost if we figure anything out.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Couple things to check...

I've had a similar issue in the past - the following list is where I'd start.
1. check the harness below the y-pipe heat shield - it can rub through the insulation and ground out (no spark).
2. Do away with the throttle safey switch (including harness) and run a tether cord - my harness grounded out on the bars.
3. Check the harness under the fuel tank - some were not routed into the relief molded into the tank, and results in pinched wiring harness.

Good luck, and please note that the harness may "look" ok, but you'll see slight discoloration of the wire sheathing color, or may look like a thin spot.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Its not flooding, there is no spark when it happens. BD box only changes the fuel system not ignition. Cat is telling us that there is most likely gremlins in the spedo head, but they have never heard of a problem like this before so I guess we'll see.

Air_time24

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2009
Nelson BC
www.facebook.com
I rode a 05 m7 with a d&d 900ss kit, I only had half a dozen rides on the machine since i bought it when I cought a rock and thought I had hit the kill switch. . . but no start myself and a few other guys pulled and un-plugged with the same issue no spark the cure that time seemed when I blew the "water" out of the main ecu plug. . but that seemed a little funny. . It's happend one other time since then and we simply waitied about 15 minutes, and she fired no problem. .

I've now returned this machine back to near stock 700 jugs, because of a blown skirt what a mess. . had the engine right out checked all wiring and harness grounds are all good, hopefully we won't see the no start problems anymore!:beer;

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
Just reporting back the coolant temp sensor did not fix my problem, but if I unplugg it still it will start and if I plug it back after a few minuets of riding the problems gone for another hour or so. It is worse in deep powder, I guess I'm gonna put a switch inline with the coolant temp sensor for now untill I can find the actual problem, guess intake air temp sensor is next on the list this sucks changing parts :mad:.

Air_time24

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2009
Nelson BC
www.facebook.com
I rode a 05 m7 with a d&d 900ss kit, I only had half a dozen rides on the machine since i bought it when I cought a rock and thought I had hit the kill switch. . . but no start myself and a few other guys pulled and un-plugged with the same issue no spark the cure that time seemed when I blew the "water" out of the main ecu plug. . but that seemed a little funny. . It's happend one other time since then and we simply waitied about 15 minutes, and she fired no problem. .

I've now returned this machine back to near stock 700 jugs, because of a blown skirt what a mess. . had the engine right out checked all wiring and harness grounds are all good, hopefully we won't see the no start problems anymore!:beer;

Well still the exact same random no start issues as before I've gone through the wiring harness time and time again and can't seem to find a bad ground or a wire in bad shape. What I have is power to my boondocker box, no power to my digitron or gauge cluster / lights, though I have plenty of spark at the plugs. . . I'm getting pretty tired of screwing around with this thing. . . :face-icon-small-fro

Premium Features