• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

93 Yamaha Ovation for my 9 yr old

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
Modified '93 Yamaha Ovation for my 9 yr old

This last winter my 9 year-old daughter rode a Yamaha et250. She liked it, but it beat her to death if the trail was a little bumpy. She also tried to go, "in the powder" while riding the main trail into Burgdorf H.S. She would jump off the main trail 6'-7' into the soft shoulder and sink. As you know, an et250 is not really built for running in the powder. She asked me if I could fix up her sled because she wanted to ride the powder like daddy.

The project begins....

I picked up a 93 Yamaha Ovation for cheap this last summer and started the upgrades and customization a couple of months ago.

I'm replacing the 121" with a 136"x1" track and Ski doo rear suspension.
This didn't just drop into place. The Ski doo suspension is 1/2" wider than the Yamaha tunnel. The mounting dimensions also had to be figured out. We are also doing a general cleanup and tune. It will be jetted for 2-4k due to lack of available jetting from Yamaha. We have new (used) skis too. We have painted the exhaust and all the body panels and tunnel. She likes to paint and use the rivet gun.

Hope you all like the pictures.... comments are welcome. :)

IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0731.JPG IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0745.jpg IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0770.JPG

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Looking good!

I'm sure she'll appreciate the finished product. Especially when she isn't getting stuck in a shovel full of snow as the machine would in stock form. LOL

Only suggestion I can offer is to get your daughter a respirator if she's going to be doing anymore painting. No judgement, just an observation.

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
Does anyone know what used model of ski will fit the 93 Ovation? I have a used Viper (2-stroke) and 02 Arctic Cat skis, but they don't fit. The buckets on the Viper are too shallow and the Arctic Cat skis look big and bulky with the hour-glass shape. I might end up modifying something so it will work. Thanks, Rb

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Have you sized up Polaris Gripper skis to see if their pocket will accomodate the strut / spindle on your machine?

The Grippers were a huge upgrade on our Indy Lite in the deep snow. Then again, any wider, plastic ski would be an improvement.

Does anyone know what used model of ski will fit the 93 Ovation? I have a used Viper (2-stroke) and 02 Arctic Cat skis, but they don't fit. The buckets on the Viper are too shallow and the Arctic Cat skis look big and bulky with the hour-glass shape. I might end up modifying something so it will work. Thanks, Rb

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
Your daughter looks really happy helping dad with her sled :face-icon-small-hap

I love seeing pictures like this! keep up the good work Dad

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
I'm trying to modify the viper skis so the saddles are the same or similar to the original. I have not found or tried the Polaris gripper ski.

Has anyone ever drilled out carb jets? I have #160's and 170's jets, but I need #166 for 4-6k. I bought one off eBay, but I need one more. The #166 yamaha part number 288-14329-83 (#166). They don't offer that size anymore.

I have been using a photo copy of the Yamaha Ovation setup page which has been handy for jetting. I posted the pictures thinking others might use it.

I should have more pictures this weekend...

rb

IMG_0745.jpg IMG_0746.jpg IMG_0748.jpg IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0780-1.JPG IMG_0800.JPG

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I think almost any plastic ski will be an upgrade over stock.

Regarding the jets, I increased the size of a jet from a lawnmower using a torch tip cleaner once. LOL It actually worked good though as it cured a lean condition the machine had under full load.

On paper, drilling jets is frowned upon as the finished bore is not smooth nor consistent therefore the resulting orifice will not deliver the same amount of fuel as a properly machined bore of comparable size.

In reality you may be able to get away with it and considering that jets are hard to come by, it may be your only option. The challenge will be finding a drill bit that will produce a finished bore the exact size that you need.

Another option may be to try reaming the jet. I've never used these tools myself but it appears there are a few companies making them: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3257.htm

I'm trying to modify the viper skis so the saddles are the same or similar to the original. I have not found or tried the Polaris gripper ski.

Has anyone ever drilled out carb jets? I have #160's and 170's jets, but I need #166 for 4-6k. I bought one off eBay, but I need one more. The #166 yamaha part number 288-14329-83 (#166). They don't offer that size anymore.

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I think almost any plastic ski will be an upgrade over stock.

Regarding the jets, I increased the size of a jet from a lawnmower using a torch tip cleaner once. LOL It actually worked good though as it cured a lean condition the machine had under full load.

On paper, drilling jets is frowned upon as the finished bore is not smooth nor consistent therefore the resulting orifice will not deliver the same amount of fuel as a properly machined bore of comparable size.

In reality you may be able to get away with it and considering that jets are hard to come by, it may be your only option. The challenge will be finding a drill bit that will produce a finished bore the exact size that you need.

Another option may be to try reaming the jet. I've never used these tools myself but it appears there are a few companies making them: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3257.htm
It's been a long time since I've played with jetting. I was playing with running methanol in a sand quad, two cylinder two stroke. I drilled lots of jets with chucking reamers. They can be had cheap with some googling. I always sanded off the original size and used an electric pencil to add what size I had made them.

Could the needles be swapped or the clip position be changed to get what was needed?

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
I bought some micro drill bits but have not tested it out. Might just change the jetting when I ride at 4k and then again at 6k. It seems pretty easy swapping out the jets... or better yet that might be good learning experience for my kid.

I had the seat modified so it looks like a mountain seat. I had it shorted by 1/3 in size and the upholstery replaced. She likes the seat because it fits her and nobody else. I did pickup a 2-up seat with backrest for $75 for when we ride doubles down the road. I just need to figure out how to mount it. I also picked up new/used rear coil springs that are suppose to be lighter. They have 5 coils and the ones I have on it now have 8.

I found a used/new ski doo bumper and bolted it to the tunnel, but it seems to flexible. Since the tunnel extension is curved I could not bolt the bumper to it on the last 10 inches. I'm thinking about removing the bumper and making a new aluminum bumper that bolts directly to the tunnel extension. I did add 3/8"x1"x4' aluminum strap inside the top of the tunnel on both sides from just above the foot rest all the way back to the flap. I put the strap in the vise several times to twist the end of it to compensate of the curved tunnel extension. It turned out a lot stronger that I thought.

I also had to have the secondary clutch pressed off the shaft. I don't think its been removed or cleaned ever in it lifetime. I also planning on installing a tether kill cord.

I welcome comments or suggestions... this is my first mod by myself. Its a little more up and down on the floor that I thought. I need a sled lift!

Thanks for looking.... Rbb

IMG_0815.jpg

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
I forgot, a rear tail light assembly just arrived in the mail. Thanks to guys parting out there sleds on FB. I will have to mount the tail light and the rack soon....

rb

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
The rear tunnel extension and bumper have been installed. She was happy she got to use the rivet gun again. The side panel and hood is also installed. The motor runs too. Just a few more things: adjust the track tension and trim and install the windshield.

r

IMG_0822 copy.jpg

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Did you have any plans for snow evacuation &/or traction mods. for the running boards?

I put a set of rail edge grip strips & Feethooker inserts on our Indy Lite as the stock arrangment is more or less unusable in anything other than hard packed conditions. The kid will be slippin' & slidin' all over the place. LOL

I'd have liked to have installed set of custom tubular boards that incorporated a "kicked up" tunnel extension, kinda like what VE offers for the Pro chassis, but that just wasn't in cards. LOL

reignman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2009
Boise, id
Its single stage paint from a aerosol can. It does need something... the paint needs to shine a little more. We plan to add a few stickers too, the Yamaha logo and Ovation. I think it needs a little color stripe or something... it needs to stand out a little more. I talked with the paint store and they don't recommend spraying a clear over a single stage. They said it has been done with no issues, but you risk bubbling. What color strip would look good?

I bought grippers for the rails, but they don't fit good. I thought about making my own aluminum grippers for the rails... I did bought a piece of aluminum angle to test some designs. I remember in the old days riding my Exciter and slipping all over the place....

The tubular would be great, but they are expensive and out of the budget.

rb

IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0828.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features