• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017/18 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Was a good trip to the horns for sure
b908b291cb41f220cb60e24d19425336.jpg
50326c6698b25e58763e527b12a58bb6.jpg
452eb94e47212858a0fc3bbce9b1f5df.jpg
cec0d174189d93ae21c21521ba2b4c6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

D
Oct 30, 2017
Does anybody know where to get avy report information for big horns area? Heading there end of this week and have never ridden there before (only driven through on the way to Cooke). Coming up blank on all the usual places to get avy info.

Thanks.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Does anybody know where to get avy report information for big horns area? Heading there end of this week and have never ridden there before (only driven through on the way to Cooke). Coming up blank on all the usual places to get avy info.

Thanks.

Active reports for the big horns aren’t really available from what I’ve seen. Don’t want to tell you there isn’t much risk, there are several areas that have slid before. Have heard of a few partial burials in the last few years. I believe the only avalanche related fatality was a LONG time ago.. overall it’s a pretty safe area as far as avalanches are concerned. Just use your knowledge and above all common sense..

B

BoondockinDragon

Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
Active reports for the big horns aren’t really available from what I’ve seen. Don’t want to tell you there isn’t much risk, there are several areas that have slid before. Have heard of a few partial burials in the last few years. I believe the only avalanche related fatality was a LONG time ago.. overall it’s a pretty safe area as far as avalanches are concerned. Just use your knowledge and above all common sense..

Sent you a PM Snowmow.

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
How is the snow in the Southern Horns now? How about the roads up from Buffalo?

J

jbrennan51488

Jan 27, 2012
Snow was pretty decent in the southern horns last Saturday, and they got another 10" or so that night. Looks like more snow for the rest of the week as well. Snotels are showing record depths for both sides of the horns, it's going to be a good weekend to ride!

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
When I rode the Northern Horns years ago they used to have an avy report hanging on the wall every day at the lodge. We are heading to the south side tomorrow to ride Friday-sunday. Reports sound pretty amazing. Staying at Deer Haven.

MSlednutz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
Anybody know anything about Meadowlark lodge/ deer heaven? I got rooms booked for Friday night through the weekend since Tuesday but cant get them to answer the phone now. Guy said having troubles getting everything cleared out. Anybody been by there lately or a status update?

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Anybody know anything about Meadowlark lodge/ deer heaven? I got rooms booked for Friday night through the weekend since Tuesday but cant get them to answer the phone now. Guy said having troubles getting everything cleared out. Anybody been by there lately or a status update?
Was there last weekend. They are only open Friday through Monday. Great place to stay. They cleared the lot so we could get out Sunday morning. Look for Shawn Marie Smith on face book she's the manager and can chat on Facebook with you

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
This was Sunday when we where trying to leave we has to shovel off the truck a few times
74d5b43ba73896c18f9f161e6bad1973.jpg

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Looks like Deer Haven or Meadowlark Lodge are the only options for lodging? We have been there for day trips a few times but never stayed overnight. The Meadowlark restaurant does not appear to be open at night or is the website wrong?? Any other bar or restaurant options on the hill or have to go to Ten Sleep?

Last edited:

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Looks like Deer Haven or Meadowlark Lodge are the only options for lodging? We have been there for day trips a few times but never stayed overnight. The Meadowlark restaurant does not appear to be open at night or is the website wrong?? Any other bar or restaurant options on the hill or have to go to Ten Sleep?
Y not just go to the Northern horns? Way more lodges, amenities, way better terrain.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
We rode the southern and friends rode the northern the last two days. Snow is sick on both sides! Conditions weren't good for this deep of snow, overcast and light snow showers. We were stuck more in the last two days than have been in the last two years. We ride togwotee quite a bit but like the shorter drive times and the conditions are really good...just not a huge amount of base.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Y not just go to the Northern horns? Way more lodges, amenities, way better terrain.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Yes. For the love of god. PLEASE follow this guys advise. Go northern. Please please stay away from the southern side. It sucks horribly here. Don’t waste your time or money. The terrain is crap on this side. And the snow sucks worse.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota

One down fall about Meadowlark is they are only open 8-6. They won't really kick you out tho. Saturday night they made us a few drinks after 6 and stayed and talked with the employees.

Premium Features