• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick Auto, new Ascender model.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Just curious how much weight does the kit add? Or maybe another way to ask, what is the weight of the full kit compared to the stock can?

I did not personally weigh the pieces. The OEM muffler compared to the turbo is slightly lighter by feel. The power to weight however makes the sled feel "floaty" and light. Your thumb makes it float. Super cool feeling.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
You are correct for full boost playing etc... However, if you unload at a lesser elevation and ride "up the mountain" you simply babysit your sled, off boost, feathering the throttle until you get some elevation, then Game On !!! We do it all the time. Unload at 2700.

So thats means I cant even use the kit, since im only riding below 4000ft.

What makes the kit not work at lower elevation? The fueling or anything else?

T
Nov 20, 2012
Got mine installed last week

Acrtic Edge Motorsports in Crowsnest Ab best in the business for sleds runs great, coming off a 240hp pro rmk this sled has good power and is super fun to ride

sidekick.jpg

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Does this kit have a tunnel dump exhaust option? If so any pics?

Belly dump standard. There are upgrades being engineered for this new kit now. Water to air intercooler, tunnel dump, etc. Keep checking in at Boondocker on Facebook. New stuff there daily. Good place to like and follow.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Not impressed,
Issues already, typical!
Still doesn't even come close to the axys kits.
And personally for my riding it flat doesn't work.

I should be around another one Sun. Hope it's at least decent

Last edited:
N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
ascender

Hmm. We are running boondockers on Cat, an axys and an 850. If your cat doesn't run with the axys then something isn't right.

Not impressed,
Issues already, typical!
Still doesn't even come close to the axys kits.
And personally for my riding it flat doesn't work.

I should be around another one Sun. Hope it's at least decent

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
He hasn't replied. Hope he found a simple sled issue. We have a large group of cat guys in the area. That are all running the Sidekicks on their new Ascenders. They have nothing but good news about kicking butt. With the Auto, if you have a symptom of some kind, it is usually related to the sled. We have a tech data log for all models. After an issue is resolved, the problem and resolution are all recorded. They are approx 93% "other" related. However, if you do have an issue of any kind, it will immediately be resolved. Usually something very simple.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
hasn't boost control been around for a while?And i know that type of fueling has been around for a long time now (boost it box) So is this mostly about the the boost control? I'm just trying to understand the up to date technology your talking about. maybe i missed or don't understand.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
We won't even waste time with it. 7 kits in 17 failed. Tried to unsell a buy on an 18 and he had to have it. It had issues but seemed at least rideable.

For slow technical they suck! Unless your moving above 10mph ground speed they are useless.

Freaking joke. Cost the dealer probably 5-8 sled sales last year that were know for sure.

But hey bd fit it right in 2011 so maybe there's a chance they can do it again.
Until then silber for a better cheap kit.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I hear ya, Wyoboy. There has been a lot of refinements in the Sidekick for the Cat 18/19. The slow, 10 mph you are referring to is gone. In order to tune for that explosive instant response we want, it required more octane to accommodate the tune. This year the Cat kit is a 50/50 gas kit. I won't waste your time telling you how it runs. You will have to swing a leg over one this year when you get a chance.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Tried one last year and it was pathetic!
I'm not trying to be a dick to you but I'm pissd when someone makes claims and won't back them.
Even if you finally fix it, I'm still pissd about the problems in the past. But if your willing to prove it, it's my nature to promote what works regardless of anything else!
I'd honestly rather promote them not have an option.

On the other hand if it's junk, you'd wish I never tried it.

Everyone knows I'm brutal but this is how I work.
I get a product and run it, if it works it's promoted. If it doesn't i spend days and money communicating and testing.

If it doesn't work I let ppl know.
But in bds case we got jack for communication, (your the only ones bs) no software to tune with, so I could try to find a solution (willing to put my own time and effort in)
Silent for 2 years trying to come up with anything.
Told repeatedly it was fixed.

But, if your saying you got it. All I want to see is proof, or access to control.

You decide, I'm down

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Great plan. And you're not being a dick at all ! That's how it should be.

Keep an eye out in your area for an opportunity this season. I will have each model demo available for everyone. I am very excited for this season on the Alpha and the new 50/50 sidekick on it. We will hold back on comments and reviews until we're all riding it .... can't wait.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Post a review if you get together, I have ridden the BD on the axys and was impressed. Im sure it took so time for BD to perform the R&D to get it spot on.

You are exactly right. Everyone watches the Axys and the hours of footage that the Boondocker / Polaris package has achieved.

The goal is to have that same success with the Cat and the Doo... Its a process and takes some time to root out issues and get that "spot on" package. The engineering team at Boondocker is making some very exciting advances in technology that will produce that spot on and consistent kit everyone wants.

There will be some news releases in this technology advancement coming soon. Keep an eye on the Polaris 850 Patriot / Boondocker discussions. The ice breaker will be reviled there first.... exciting stuff.

Premium Features