• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cam Arm - swing freely or ?

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
After 7,600 miles my primary clutch finally gave it up so I bought a new one today. My question is how tight should the cam arms be? I recall reading that they should be adjusted so they just barely move freely, which is how I adjusted them. I sure don't want to bugger up my new clutch. Thanks

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
That's what I do on my 2010 M8. On mine, even when the nuts are not tightened there is a little friction caused by the rubber o-rings.

What year/model sled? That is incredible mileage out of a primary if you've not done anything to it. Is it a stock primary?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I like to set the so that the weight will drop on its own gravitational force when you lift it up. Tighten the nut first so it sucks the pin against the o rings and the back it off a touch.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I ask this question before and never really gotten an answer. What I do is use a torque wrench and torque them to 12lbs, I then check them all to see if they all have the same resistance, usually there is one I need to re-torque to 11lbs so they all have the same swing tension while moving them back and forth.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I like the weight to swing free, so I trim one side of the orings 10 thou, or just a small slice off.

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I like to set the so that the weight will drop on its own gravitational force when you lift it up. Tighten the nut first so it sucks the pin against the o rings and the back it off a touch.

That's how I did it - thanks.

Yes, the primary was the original and I got 7,600 miles out of it. I replaced the pins and cams at 7k. It appears that a bad roller egged out one of the new cams and it wouldn't back shift yesterday. I blow it out with compressed air fairly frequently. I suspect the reason that I got so many miles out of it is because most of those miles are from running a trapline which is basically trail riding. The engine has never been touched either and the compression is within 7 psi per cylinder. It's been a great machine. I rebuilt the secondary clutch last spring.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I also do like racinstation, but when I loosen them I will also make sure I dont loosen them enough to have side to side play.

and once again you musta got a good one, sold my last M with 4600mi and it was on its third primary due to cracked spiders. Engine was all original and still ran flawless.

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
get ahold of 911 products. They have a new 0-rings for the weights that are built like their glide washers, absolutly no resistance and the weight fall 100% freely!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
don't figure

when you do the math on force generated by a cat clutch weight at 7850 rpm you will see that the possible resistance created by side force on a rubber o ring amounts to less than .002% of the overall forces in effect.... meaning the amount of juice stored in your smart phone in the pocket of your new KLIM duds will have a greater affect on how your cat shifts..........ditto for the other 87 brands of sleds that have been on the market over the years.

Premium Features