• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diagnosing Starting Issue - '07 BD TM8

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Lots of great advice here. Cool things to remember if I have probs with mine.

One more simple possiblity:

I wonder if your fuel got contaminated? Do you have the same load of fuel in your tank from your ride? If so, maybe drain it, wipe the bottom of the tank dry and just try a little pump gas just to see if it starts??

Good luck!

fuel pickups '' SMART VALVES'' 2 inch round discs that sit in your tank must be sitting flat against the bottom of your tank and not hung up on anything.One will be by the fuel guage the other in the back of the tank.STICK YOUR HAND IN AND CHECK.

D

DeepInTheTrees

Nov 26, 2007
Battle Ground, WA
FINALLY FIXED!!!!!

Well, this is long overdue. I bought a 2010 HCR this year, so I was having so much fun riding the stocker, that I didn't miss my turbo (well most of the time :face-icon-small-hap). It was sitting around the garage making me depressed every time I looked at it, because of how much time I have had into it with no success at getting it running again (see earlier posts)

Fast forward to March 2011. A friend of mine is interested in buying the sled STOCK. My feeling is that it is something in the turbo setup causing the issue (wiring or other..) Together we remove all of the turbo components and take everything back to stock. We get all of this done and are getting it ready to fire up. He is more optimistic than I. We go to fire it up...same exact thing. Sputters a little with some throttle, but no life. :eek: Back to the drawing board.

Over the next day or so, we set about doing some continuity testing. I test the stator again, and get some bad readings. I feel good that I found some actual evidence of something wrong. We decide to pull stator. Notice that the flywheel bolt isn't very tight. Didn't think much of it. Pull flywheel; not super tight, don't think much of it. Pull stator and test again. I realize that I had the tester set on 20k not 200 so that is why I wasn't getting a good reading. Disappointingly we realize the stator is good. We proceed to continuity test all the wiring on the sled. No results, except for one possible lead on the white blue wire from the Servo; maybe it's pinched under the tank.

We decide to put the servo back in and try to start it with the Servo unplugged. We re-install the stator, and go to put the keyway back in...it doesn't seem to be fitting right. We realize DUH the key is sheared off. It only installs so it is flush with the crankshaft. My friend brings up that this could be the problem, maybe the timing is so off that it won't start. :wave: HELLO!! This makes a ton of sense with what actually happened on the hill when it quit running (see first post at top). I feel positive for the first time in a long time on this sled! We put the flywheel, etc. back on and go to fire it up. FIRST PULL, it fires up!!!!! Oh man what a good feeling :face-icon-small-hap :face-icon-small-hap :face-icon-small-hap
This was a tough one to track down.

Feels good to have it running again. Hopefully this thread will help someone out down the road.

Thanks for all of your input on this, I appreciate it!

Deep

Premium Features