• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Polaris Survey

How satisfied are you with your Polaris? Please click all that apply.

• Best sled I've ever owned!

Votes: 232 37.2%
  • Nice, but not what I was expecting.

Votes: 97 15.5%
  • Can I give it back?

Votes: 142 22.8%
  • Best performing motor ever!

Votes: 71 11.4%
  • Had some problems, but I'm glad they keep trying.

Votes: 164 26.3%
  • Never mind I'll do it myself.

Votes: 124 19.9%
  • Fit and finish is incredible!

Votes: 38 6.1%
  • I've seen better.

Votes: 115 18.4%
  • Give the kid his crayons back so he quits touching my sled.

Votes: 35 5.6%
  • Engineering that sets the standards!

Votes: 49 7.9%
  • It looks good on paper, but falls short by the time it leaves the assembly line.

Votes: 159 25.5%
  • You were one of those kids trying to put the triangle in the round hole weren't you.

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • I can't say enough about Polaris dealer support!

Votes: 88 14.1%
  • My dealer is always helpful, but doesn't always have the latest info.

Votes: 136 21.8%
  • Why do I know more than they do?

Votes: 160 25.6%

• Total voters

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Lets hope they will never put a foreign motor in. One reason I buy polaris is because it is MADE IN THE USA the most. Lets try to keep our jobs.
Hats off to polaris for that.

N
Dec 23, 2009
Lets hope they will never put a foreign motor in. One reason I buy polaris is because it is MADE IN THE USA the most. Lets try to keep our jobs.

Yeah right, I hope Polaris isn't too proud of that '08 - '09 800 engine, it's an embarrasment to the USA, maybe they should give Fuji a call.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Yeah right, I hope Polaris isn't too proud of that '08 - '09 800 engine, it's an embarrasment to the USA, maybe they should give Fuji a call.

Nanook, Your are right the Poo 800 CFI'S have had issues but there have been much worse engines produced both here in the USA & over sea's. As Ron pointed out about the Ski Doo cranks in his earlier post in this thread. I dont think the engine issue is as big as you make it out to be IMO. ithink there is a number of issues not all directly engine related.

Polaris spent a ton of money & resources with the updates and reflash's and unfortunately we have never been briefed by Polaris. Yes they could handle things better and be more informative but they have not hung everyone out to dry. Yes they refuse to warranty some mod sleds with the same common failures as stock sleds. In many cases some of the sled mods have no relation to the well known common failure and the warranty coverage should still be in effect and IMO it is wrong but that is another post for a later date & time. (Some of this is partly dealer controlled but as a general rule seems to be Polaris Policy! So depending on how good or bad your dealer is effects your coverage)

The biggest problem with the 800's is not really the engine/motors but the electrical, wiring, and fuel map issues that have caused about 90% of the engine melt down problems. The VR & ECU issues are a much bigger issue then the fuel maps have been to date.

The real picture effects all of the loyal hard working owners here on the forum that are all ready insecure about riding these sleds from some who make the problems out to be bigger than they sometimes are. You may say potato I may say pottato's? Everyone has a opinion and a ahole too.

In the mountains it is a welcome challenge to try to get out under your power but when the you have to be pulled out under another sleds power it not only wrecks your sled, day, week, month, trip, vacation, season, etc., after spending ten thousand dollars on a sled.

I really like how my 09-D8 rides and handles, yes the WE's have also been a let down but you have to make the most out of what you have. I spent over 10 grand and need to use this sled to enjoy it and the more proactive I can be to keep it running by making a few changes and upgrades that may help avoid any problems like the ground strap, newest VR, PCV, and etc are the best coverage I can have beside the insurance coverage.

I also believe that any US built product or engine will only help all of us for jobs in the future which is obviously a much bigger picture then the polaris 800's concerns have caused to date. Sorry about rant take care and be safe.

T
Nov 30, 2009
Michigan
I'll be thinking long and hard b4 I buy another Polaris sled.
My 2005 800 Switchback, that sled screams!!
my 09 D8...I scream because it never runs.
I'll be looking pretty hard for a replacement for it.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
bog

I have been calling polaris & emailing for awhile now.Dealer called last night and said i must of pissed off some one at polaris,as they finally admitted that these 800 have a problem,but have no fix yet.So call email rant & rave it may do some good,but don't give up and let them off the hook.Have you tried to trade in,they offered my son 6200can for his 09 d8 switchback,with 1000miles,that's 1/2 what he paid.That's sick

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
stmike, at two model years old the trade value they offered you sounds about right. I have seen 2009's with 300 miles on them selling for $6,200.

It sucks, but its true.

The sled market is taking a beating.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
wtf

Last sunday my son (o9 d800 switch) and my grandson (02 600 xc sp) were out riding,600 ran the legs off the 800. Sad,maybe polaris should go back to the carbed 600,8years of hard use and still running good as new

T
Nov 30, 2009
Michigan
I'm glad when I received my settlement for my snowmobile....they used NADA.

I would have been screwed if they went by the actual resale value of these sleds!
I wish Polaris would step it up, I would love to see them on the upper part of the snowmobile chain.

N
Dec 23, 2009
Nanook, Your are right the Poo 800 CFI'S have had issues but there have been much worse engines produced both here in the USA & over sea's. As Ron pointed out about the Ski Doo cranks in his earlier post in this thread. I dont think the engine issue is as big as you make it out to be IMO. ithink there is a number of issues not all directly engine related.

Polaris spent a ton of money & resources with the updates and reflash's and unfortunately we have never been briefed by Polaris. Yes they could handle things better and be more informative but they have not hung everyone out to dry. Yes they refuse to warranty some mod sleds with the same common failures as stock sleds. In many cases some of the sled mods have no relation to the well known common failure and the warranty coverage should still be in effect and IMO it is wrong but that is another post for a later date & time. (Some of this is partly dealer controlled but as a general rule seems to be Polaris Policy! So depending on how good or bad your dealer is effects your coverage)

The biggest problem with the 800's is not really the engine/motors but the electrical, wiring, and fuel map issues that have caused about 90% of the engine melt down problems. The VR & ECU issues are a much bigger issue then the fuel maps have been to date.

The real picture effects all of the loyal hard working owners here on the forum that are all ready insecure about riding these sleds from some who make the problems out to be bigger than they sometimes are. You may say potato I may say pottato's? Everyone has a opinion and a ahole too.

In the mountains it is a welcome challenge to try to get out under your power but when the you have to be pulled out under another sleds power it not only wrecks your sled, day, week, month, trip, vacation, season, etc., after spending ten thousand dollars on a sled.

I really like how my 09-D8 rides and handles, yes the WE's have also been a let down but you have to make the most out of what you have. I spent over 10 grand and need to use this sled to enjoy it and the more proactive I can be to keep it running by making a few changes and upgrades that may help avoid any problems like the ground strap, newest VR, PCV, and etc are the best coverage I can have beside the insurance coverage.

I also believe that any US built product or engine will only help all of us for jobs in the future which is obviously a much bigger picture then the polaris 800's concerns have caused to date. Sorry about rant take care and be safe.

I agree, but it only works if the end result is a happy consumer, Polaris really pissed off alot of people with the '08 - '09 domestic 800's and the '05 Fusion 900. Polaris never had problems of this magnitude with Fuji.

N
Dec 23, 2009
I have been calling polaris & emailing for awhile now.Dealer called last night and said i must of pissed off some one at polaris,as they finally admitted that these 800 have a problem,but have no fix yet.So call email rant & rave it may do some good,but don't give up and let them off the hook.Have you tried to trade in,they offered my son 6200can for his 09 d8 switchback,with 1000miles,that's 1/2 what he paid.That's sick

I did the same thing for awhile and really let Poo know how I felt about their inability to produce a decent big bore, it all seemed to fall on deaf ears. As a consumer, all I can do is voice my opinion about Poo to everyone I meet and not give them any more of my hard earned money and maybe then they'll get the message.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
I agree, but it only works if the end result is a happy consumer, Polaris really pissed off alot of people with the '08 - '09 domestic 800's and the '05 Fusion 900. Polaris never had problems of this magnitude with Fuji.

they had more problems with the fuji that is why they sarted making there own motor. the XLT had more boken crank than any other motor ever built.
they made the 600 and 700 big block domestic twins the most reliable motors ever built. the 600 small block also bullet prof. the early 800 had crank prob.
they did not do enough testing on this new motor and fuel injection for sure.
but hands down Ski-Doo has more crank porb than any of the rest in there xp.
i run a repair shop and i get more ski-doo with bad cranks then any other sled.

N
Dec 23, 2009
they had more problems with the fuji that is why they sarted making there own motor. the XLT had more boken crank than any other motor ever built.
they made the 600 and 700 big block domestic twins the most reliable motors ever built. the 600 small block also bullet prof. the early 800 had crank prob.
they did not do enough testing on this new motor and fuel injection for sure.
but hands down Ski-Doo has more crank porb than any of the rest in there xp.
i run a repair shop and i get more ski-doo with bad cranks then any other sled.

I've owned 3 XLT's and never had trouble with crankshafts.

jeremyp111

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2009
New Hampshire
Reading this thread reminds me of all the problems Ski Doo owners had with their 800 engines and the REV and REV XP chassis flimsyness. In my opinion, all of the sled manufacturers have their problems. Ski Doo, in their ongoing quest to build the lightest sleds around makes a chassis that bends so easily that changing a nun is commonplace. I hardly ever hear of a Polaris bending a chassis unless it was a serious accident! My 04 Ski Doo Adrenaline had a minor hit and it took out the nun. I had to replace it with a beefed up nun from the 440 race chassis. I've looked at the chassis on my 07 IQ 600 CFI really close and there's no comparison. It's built to take a LOT more abuse than my Adrenaline could ever dream of.

I do understand that Polaris f'd up with the 800 CFI motors and then made some bad choices along the way in trying to correct it. Hopefully they finally got it right and learned from their mistakes. I got a chance to ride a Rush 800 last year on a demo ride and it was SWEET, to say the least.

If Polaris learns one thing, I hope it's this...I put off purchasing a Rush 800 this year solely due to the way they handled the 800 CFI problems. I'm taking a wait and see approach so if they did get it right, I'll pick one up in a year or two after they've proven themselves. So yes, it's costing you sales, Polaris! And in this economy, that's a hard pill to swallow. I suspect Polaris' problems started at the top with a CEO and executive team that's probably not worrying about 5 yrs down the line, more like 5 months.

N

northcoastsleddr

Sep 9, 2008
Terrace BC

I think people like yourself should stick the old "MADE IN THE US of EH" attitude right up your a--. Having other brands imported or not improves quality and performance. If you want to keep your jobs .... get Polaris and the rest to follow what the Japanese auto industry has done and that is make better product than the US competitors. I keep reading about all these Polaris/ Cat/ Doo problems year after year. "Yit Y'all" keep buying, hoping that this is going to be the year that your favorite brand has spent more than 2 months testing in the spring to get it right for the coming season. No one in this thread or Arctic Cats seems to consider Yamaha as competition. They are heavy, less power.. but they are reliable and the fit and finish is the best in the industry.
Y'all want to keep your job...make Polaris accountable for what they produce.
They will have to get better or someday be asking for a "Bail Out".

S
Oct 17, 2008
There is a strange anomoly going on in American manufacturing......a product of American business schooled CEO's, MBA's, I'm not sure. They all have the same jargon...branding, synergy, positioning, etc. These people take a Brand like Polaris that a group of off-season farmers took from a small dream to an incrementally improved, season by season, race-tested product line that peaked out, I believe, around 2002, where bottom up thinking by grass-roots enthusiasts produced a snowmobile that surpassed our expectations for performance, reliability and comfort. Then as the old-timers retired, these career-minded, sit in front of the computor geekaroids feel they have to come up with the most senseless idiotic ideas, most of which were tried in the 60's and 70's, to impress their bosses so they can get a promotion, and someday, maybe have a job like Mr. Tiller, so they can take there own $54M out of the company. Look, you coud go to KTM tomorrow, get a 4cyl V4 1000/175hp that meets emissions, focus on chassis, suspension and fit/finish, hire Glen Erlandson to clutch it, and you would have a pretty good sled. Unfortunately, the corporate framework that is in place is not capable of doing so.

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
09 800 switch

I solved my bog problems,bought a 2011 600 backcountry.I liked my 800 but the dealer could not fix it and the gas mileage was sick( 8mpg canadian).My sons d8 switch spent all summer at the dealers just got it back and it runs like s--t.He has always had polaris,as of now two sleds and three 4x4 bikes,but he is fade up looking at a cat or yamaha.Polaris does not know how to fix the problems and is pissing off good and loyal customers.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
X2 Polaris is definately not on top of their game. The snowmobile is what got Polaris where they are today and I think they've forgotten that. When I buy my next sled, I won't forget, a Polaris it won't be.

Uhhh. Wrong it's the 4-wheeler sales that has got them where they are today...

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I think what he meant is that Polaris got their start in snowmobiling and that is where their name recognition came from.

And yes, ATV sales were a driving force for Polaris for a number of years.

Premium Features