• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Evo reflash vs Mc Express

B
Aug 10, 2017
Western MT
I'm getting ready to add some power to my 15 viper MTX, I purchased the sled already set up with the MPI 190 kit and have been thinking about going with Evo upgrade( injectors reflash and intercooler). How is this kit for reliability and ease of use? Debating on possibly getting rid of the whole MPI system and going either Mc Xpress or with Evo's big chute turbo system. The goal is to be in the 240 hp range on pump fuel. I would prefer to not have to run a head shim, so Evo definitely appeals to me. Thanks fellas,
Bigsky

Last edited:
B
Aug 10, 2017
Western MT
Just curious if you realize without a head shim to get to 240hp you are going to need race fuel.

I knew that if I went the Mc-xpress route that I would likely be running a shim, that is why the Evo 220+ upgrade is so appealing. I figured that kit plus the intercooler would be close to 240? And they claim no headshim. Is there some fine print that I missed somewhere?

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I think the EVO/MPI upgrade kit bumps you up to 8lbs of boost. I'd expect to be in the 220 horsepower range, give or take. I haven't seen a dyno sheet for it though.. I believe Hurricane Performance runs a head shim and 10lbs of boost to get to 240 horsepower. MCxpress runs around 15 psi for a 270hp kit.. Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:
B
Aug 10, 2017
Western MT
I know this thread is a little stale now, but I decided to go with the MCXPRESS 270 kit. Not the cheapest option, but I will save some $ over time not having to buy race fuel. Don't have any noise restrictions where I ride so I'm looking at doing the MCX straight pipe to squeeze some power out. Are these things stupidly loud with a straight pipe?

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
They aren't known to bring issues. Its just that if you do have major issues you'll have to do some homework and figure it out yourself. It completely ruined an entire winter for me.. and costed me a lot of money.. I finally got some advice from another forum and that's what fixed my issue.. Best of luck with it. Hopefully it'll run fine out of the box.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Could you elaborate on that a bit ? I'm curious what kind of problems might pop up down the road for me. I live about 2.5 hours from the only dealer in the states ( that I know of) so service isn't an issue. Thanks, Bigsky

if there are persistent problems its usually due to the install. A kit is only as good as the person or dealership that installed it. I see you are in Montana. And I'd imagine you are dealing with Mark Leiphemer. One of the best. No issues as he has likely installed over 100 kits without issues and is well versed in the product. Good choice. Call if any issues.
Cheers
RS

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
if there are persistent problems its usually due to the install. A kit is only as good as the person or dealership that installed it. I see you are in Montana. And I'd imagine you are dealing with Mark Leiphemer. One of the best. No issues as he has likely installed over 100 kits without issues and is well versed in the product. Good choice. Call if any issues.
Cheers
RS

I wasn't going to get into this at all... but here we go.

Maybe Mark is great if you bring the sled to him, over the phone not so much. He did try though at least.. unlike the rest of the MCX team..

The install of these kits is very very straightforward. Good instructions as well. You would have to be picking up a wrench for the first time in your life to mess it up. There will be no issue here for about 99% of the people installing it. Unless you get into the 270 kit and are unsure about the headshim.. that's a totally different ball game from my 190 kit.

My issue was a faulty TCV valve. It over boosted my sled. Since I fixed my problem I have found many others with the same issue. One Yamaha dealer actually ordered in a few of the MCX kits and installed on new sleds only to have them over boost and cause engine failures. I'm sure if I continued to ride my sled the way it was I would have been in the same situation. Erik didn't seem to care.. Its like he didn't believe that his product could be faulty. He even wanted me to buy parts from him to fix it. The incorrect parts too I might add..

So anyways, long story short I'm done buying MCX products and I have been persuading others to stay clear as well.. Its the least I could do for the full year of heartache I experienced with it.

Niemikorpi

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
I love my MCX viper,it never missed a beat.same with my MCX nytro.

reliable pump gas hp!

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
I just did a little trip down memory lane. here are all the MCX product I have had since day 1. All installed by the top tech in Canada who won the Mechanic GP contest for Yamaha with a chance to compete in Japan for worldwide bragging rights. He was top 5.....again has installed literally 100's of MCX product the past 15 years.

2003 RX1 7PSI turbo. First one ever sent to Canada.
RX1 Mid mount
RX1 Race kit front mount
Apex Rear mount
Apex front mount
Apex Mid mount Race kit
Nytro 240
Nytro 270
Nytro 180 for wife
Viper 270 Viper 270 Race intercooler
Sidewinder 250

Overall around 100Kilometers in backcountry boosted mountain riding on MCX product. 2 failures on engines after 15,000k. slight deto and I replaced the aluminum head shim with Stainless and went again. All pump fuel spec.
couldn't be happier as these things absolutely rip at high elevation.
Best of luck and enjoy.
RS

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
If I and the dealership that lost the engines were at high elevation I'm sure we would all be on the same page.. but he is at sea-level and I'm at 2000'.

It was a turbo "guru" that told me to chuck the TCV valve, on TY4stroke.... Just some random dude! lol Maybe that's something your mechanic would have picked up on right away.. I just found it odd that Mark, the guys at PG Motorsports, and Erik didn't think of it. :juggle:

Whatever.. I'm over it. Its running fine now with a Boost T installed in place of the MCX TCV.

Premium Features