• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 850 PTO Crank seal leaking

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Has anybody lost a crank seal yet. Mine started to seriously leak at about 600 miles. Taking it in Wednesday for warranty. Does anybody know if it can be replaced without splitting the cases. Going to be missing some great riding this week. Peter

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Your dealer doesn't have a loaner/demo you can use? Definitely going to be a great week of riding in SW CO!

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
My Dealer is RPM in Rifle, Co. He is a smaller dealer but fantastic. He has been awesome to work with and has always had my back. I think it is very hard for most dealers to have a loaner sled here in Colorado. Problem is the holiday tomorrow where everybody is closed. Would be sweet if dealers could be open 7 days a week but everybody deserves time off. Hoping for the best.

S
Dec 25, 2018
Has anybody lost a crank seal yet. Mine started to seriously leak at about 600 miles. Taking it in Wednesday for warranty. Does anybody know if it can be replaced without splitting the cases. Going to be missing some great riding this week. Peter
No I dont think so. The PTO seal are just held in place by the cover plate afaik looking at the workshop manual.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
The older 800s could swap the seal with out splitting cases, I’m pretty sure.

The 850 “looks” similar so hopefully so.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Dealer replaced seal. Easy to do. First seal ever for them. Was hard to tell if the seal was defective but crank was smooth. They got it done within the second day of having it. Great RPM of Rifle, CO

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
The folks that have the leaking PTO seal ,have you broken any drive belts prior to the leaking seal ?

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
It isn't a crank seal, in that it just seals the crank bearings, not the combustion chamber. If you are finding bearing grease repeatedly leaking out, it's not the seal. Something is up w/ your clutches and/or crank. Blowing belts would be a likely culprit, as would extreme clutch heat.

Premium Features