• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

has anyone run the c3 XM post forward kit, with or without their post?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The XP and even moreso the XM has so much of the weight out front that (IMO) there are benefits to having the rider back to help "balance" the chassis. One of the complaints of the xp and the xm is it wanting to go uphill when sidehilling. I feel that is from too much weight on the skis, so the skis are able to dig in, while the rear washes out. Here is a nice vid of a properly setup and ridden old school 08' xp, the worst handling, unrideable, unsidehillable sled of all time. Notice bar and rider position. If the bars were forward with a straight post, i don't think the rider could get back far enough to allow THIS chassis layout to work.
Not trying to say the bars forward is inferior, only that they require different riding style and sled setup....and once a rider "gets it", either can work fine to do all the sidehilly and technical dangly crap a guy wants to do. :beer;:beer;
Enjoy the new sled BCIL, I like mine more every ride!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=XrubPF9stY4

A sled wanting to go uphill from a side hill is generally from weight too far back, not too far forward, but paneling, and lack of secondary stability will also cause that. For example, to allow a sled to side slide down a steep slope, you need to be more forward than for a normal sidehill. I can see what you mean about the skis augering too much, but generally that would drop you out of your side hill, bringing the downhill ski down, unless you were over compensating hugely in your sled vs hill angle which could do that, but I do find that on the xp I tend to under side hill slightly more than on a cat for some reason (the cat I run lower to the hill, the doo I run slightly more perpendicular)

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Oh what a funny bunch in here. :face-icon-small-ton

I could make the same arguement for around these parts. Alot of amazing riders in the Creston valley. Most of our riding is super tight technical tree riding. The majority of the really good riders around here are on XPs, so I could draw the conclusion that an angled steering post is for extreme technical riders, and the vertical steering post hype is for internet posers and idgets that like to brag about how they can "dangle".

But in reality, there are good riders on both types of sleds. To say that angled steering is for trail riders and vertical is for hard core technical riders is retarded. I think the difference you are noticing in the XM is due to a number of the changes that they made (which yes includes moving the steering post ahead slightly), but it is still no where near vertical.

Anyone who wants to head out for a day in the steep trees with this trail rider is more than welcome any time. :face-icon-small-hap

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Oh what a funny bunch in here. :face-icon-small-ton

I could make the same arguement for around these parts. Alot of amazing riders in the Creston valley. Most of our riding is super tight technical tree riding. The majority of the really good riders around here are on XPs, so I could draw the conclusion that an angled steering post is for extreme technical riders, and the vertical steering post hype is for internet posers and idgets that like to brag about how they can "dangle".

But in reality, there are good riders on both types of sleds. To say that angled steering is for trail riders and vertical is for hard core technical riders is retarded. I think the difference you are noticing in the XM is due to a number of the changes that they made (which yes includes moving the steering post ahead slightly), but it is still no where near vertical.

Anyone who wants to head out for a day in the steep trees with this trail rider is more than welcome any time. :face-icon-small-hap

Smack talk is more fun than logic... trail rider :p haha. Dude, people will ride what they want, I just feel better with a setup that's more vertical.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
I wonder and may just be a dumb question since I personally haven't torn into an XM but could somebody take the XM parts and mount them on the XP to move the post forward? I also did hear that Skinz was making a post forward, that Brett and Tony had been running all year and would probably be available next for next year think they were trying to decide if it would in his Signature Series line or not?

but if one were to go through all that work why not just go through C3...dumb question :face-icon-small-dis

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I wonder and may just be a dumb question since I personally haven't torn into an XM but could somebody take the XM parts and mount them on the XP to move the post forward? I also did hear that Skinz was making a post forward, that Brett and Tony had been running all year and would probably be available next for next year think they were trying to decide if it would in his Signature Series line or not?

but if one were to go through all that work why not just go through C3...dumb question :face-icon-small-dis

I would think that would be possible, but one big factor would be how far do you want to go. The C3 setup goes 3" forward from the XP setup... so a decent change.

The XP to XM change I've heard some say is 1" and some say it's 2"... I thought it was 2, but either way, still not quite where the C3 setup is.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I've got C3 forward and post on my XP along w/ 36 a arms, 4'' riser. When comparing w/ the XM, it feels better. XM felt like it could stand to go further forward IMO. XM felt easier to initiate roll w/ track and skid but harder to maintain when committed to a line. I don't think you'll be dissappointed by goint further forward even if it is only 1". That seemed to be the biggest handling difference I felt from XM to my sled. Didn't really notice the body panels made much difference, overall body of sled is still too wide.

Skins was mentioned, does anyone having pics or more detial of the kits they are going to produce? If it is just a bracket similiar to C3, I see no reason to wait, but if they are working on vertical post setup similiar to what Cat has, that's what I'd be putting on.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've got C3 forward and post on my XP along w/ 36 a arms, 4'' riser. When comparing w/ the XM, it feels better. XM felt like it could stand to go further forward IMO. XM felt easier to initiate roll w/ track and skid but harder to maintain when committed to a line. I don't think you'll be dissappointed by goint further forward even if it is only 1". That seemed to be the biggest handling difference I felt from XM to my sled. Didn't really notice the body panels made much difference, overall body of sled is still too wide.

Skins was mentioned, does anyone having pics or more detial of the kits they are going to produce? If it is just a bracket similiar to C3, I see no reason to wait, but if they are working on vertical post setup similiar to what Cat has, that's what I'd be putting on.

That's the kind of comparison I was hoping for, and your riser setup sounds like you have a very similar setup to what I run, so pretty apples to apples.

You got me wondering though, if Skinz really IS coming up with a vertical post (that's not what is on Brett's sled, his appears to just essentially copy the c3 setup.) then it's worth waiting for. I'd think that you could retrofit it, much like that hack job that cat did with the 1100 vertical post, but then it starts way higher, which doesn't work for anyone under 6' anyhow.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
We ran the C3 post fwd kits on our XPs last year and really liked how it worked. I didn't buy the straight posts and modding the air box was a beotch! Kinda messed one box up "learning" how to do it. Use a propane heater, not a torch and take a real long time warming up the box. Then get 7-8 of your strongest friends and push the air box hard in the steering post until it's a little farther back than it's going to fit so there is some clearance. I just bought the XM kits and this year I bought the posts and bottom bushings to make it easier. It's WAY more money to do it this way and the bottom bushings are really crudely done. You would be better off getting a spare set from Doo and modding them yourself. You could also just cut the stock steering post and weld in a straight piece but I wanted it done quick and clean. For me it's pay for the parts or pay more in labor. BCIL it is worth the effort and money, you will really like it.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
blah blah blah

are you sure you don't want go back to cat BCIL?

If Wyoboy gets one too were doomed for sure!

:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features