• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tie down in an enclosed trailer

how do you secure your sleds in an enclosed trailer?

• nothing

Votes: 219 46.6%
  • front only

Votes: 70 14.9%
  • front and rear

Votes: 181 38.5%

• Total voters

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
I was in a bad accident in 2000 (one death) 4 sleds on a triton open trailer, tied down with straps on the rear and tie down bars on the front(my brother was anal). Guess what, chit was all over the interstate. didn't matter that they were tied down, nor did I care after what I had just went through. Point is chit happens.

superclamp

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2008
I was in a bad accident in 2000 (one death) 4 sleds on a triton open trailer, tied down with straps on the rear and tie down bars on the front(my brother was anal). Guess what, chit was all over the interstate. didn't matter that they were tied down, nor did I care after what I had just went through. Point is chit happens.

You are right, but all depends on how bad of an accident you are in, accident like your, nothing survives, an accident like mine, may trailier got the damage, but not my sled. It is starting to sound like this post is getting a little off track, common sense to most is to tie their investment down when transporting, but too some, they don't care, good luck to the ones that don't tie their sled down and hopefully no one gets hurt, that I guess is all that matters. I will continue to do what I know is right when when trailering my snowmobile. Happy sledding everyone.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My interstate has d-rings in the floor. I put one strap to the front bumper and one to the rear bumper.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
a lot of good discussion going on it here. i picked up a new trailer last weekend with the PVC coated floor and i think that i will start tying them down now. the floor is much slicker than wood and the sleds move around quite a bit more.

might check out super clamps as well, just not sure if i want to have the hooks in all of the time as i use it for my race car in the summer.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
nope, sleds in shut door..done....get in wreck call insurance, pickup new sleds and new trailer.

I've noticed this response a few times in this thread. Have you guys ever filed a claim and dealt with insurance? Not fun. And good luck getting even book value for your stuff.

I was hit by another drive a year ago and it totaled my 2003 Chev. Avalanche. $45,000 truck and book was only mid $13,000 range. They offered me $11,000. I had to go out and do all the legwork to do comps just to get them up to book value. Then, with the settlement, you get a used vehicle (or sled or trailer) that who knows how it was taken care of it's entire life. Not that I had sentimental attachment to my truck, but I'd done all the maintenance myself (synthetic fluids, etc.) and know how it was treated so it was worth a whole lot more to me than book value.

Also, keep in mind insurance will usually not pay for accessories and add-ons so you may only get a small fraction or nothing if your sled is totaled because it spills out onto the road rather than stays in place. If you make too many claims, you'll get dropped or rates go way up so small claims aren't worth while. Plus, you'll be out your deductible anyway, so another $500 - $1000 that is out of your pocket.

In my eyes, any damage you can prevent and not have to claim is worth the extra 2 minutes when loading/unloading. Heck, one big bump, slide or emergency brake/maneuver might push one of your sleds against the side of the trailer or into another sled. Just cosmetic damage is worth strapping them down, much less denting or piercing the shell of your trailer. Strapping down may not prevent all damage, but when that first time happens (after saying "I've not had an issue and I've been NOT strapping down for years"), you just might wish you'd strapped it down. Of course, that will be like installing an alarm in your house after it's been broken into or had a fire (which, unfortunately, is when most people install such things....AFTER it has happened).

If nothing else, I feel responsibility to the people I share the road with. I'm responsible for my load and doing what I can to reduce damage or risk to other drivers and I expect them to do the same for me. I've had loose items come off of vehicles and hit me in the past such as a spare tire/wheel come down the road at me off a tow truck. My damage due to their negligence. A big pain for everyone involved. That is why I end up checking the trailer hook ups and straps probably 3 times before I pull out of the driveway or parking lot each time.

Last edited:

superclamp

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2008
I've noticed this response a few times in this thread. Have you guys ever filed a claim and dealt with insurance? Not fun. And good luck getting even book value for your stuff.

I was hit by another drive a year ago and it totaled my 2003 Chev. Avalanche. $45,000 truck and book was only mid $13,000 range. They offered me $11,000. I had to go out and do all the legwork to do comps just to get them up to book value. Then, with the settlement, you get a used vehicle (or sled or trailer) that who knows how it was taken care of it's entire life. Not that I had sentimental attachment to my truck, but I'd done all the maintenance myself (synthetic fluids, etc.) and know how it was treated so it was worth a whole lot more to me than book value.

Also, keep in mind insurance will usually not pay for accessories and add-ons so you may only get a small fraction or nothing if your sled is totaled because it spills out onto the road rather than stays in place. If you make too many claims, you'll get dropped or rates go way up so small claims aren't worth while. Plus, you'll be out your deductible anyway, so another $500 - $1000 that is out of your pocket.

In my eyes, any damage you can prevent and not have to claim is worth the extra 2 minutes when loading/unloading. Heck, one big bump, slide or emergency brake/maneuver might push one of your sleds against the side of the trailer or into another sled. Just cosmetic damage is worth strapping them down, much less denting or piercing the shell of your trailer. Strapping down may not prevent all damage, but when that first time happens (after saying "I've not had an issue and I've been NOT strapping down for years"), you just might wish you'd strapped it down. Of course, that will be like installing an alarm in your house after it's been broken into or had a fire (which, unfortunately, is when most people install such things....AFTER it has happened).

If nothing else, I feel responsibility to the people I share the road with. I'm responsible for my load and doing what I can to reduce damage or risk to other drivers and I expect them to do the same for me. I've had loose items come off of vehicles and hit me in the past such as a spare tire/wheel come down the road at me off a tow truck. My damage due to their negligence. A big pain for everyone involved. That is why I end up checking the trailer hook ups and straps probably 3 times before I pull out of the driveway or parking lot each time.

You are 100 % right, and you could not of said it any better then that. Well written. thanks

F

freeflorider

Mar 29, 2010
In the koots...bc
Tie downs

a lot of good discussion going on it here. i picked up a new trailer last weekend with the PVC coated floor and i think that i will start tying them down now. the floor is much slicker than wood and the sleds move around quite a bit more.

might check out super clamps as well, just not sure if i want to have the hooks in all of the time as i use it for my race car in the summer.

They also make a slide rail type that might be what your looking for. Great products and its on there web site.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
I purchased a new Aluma inline this year and it has the tracks for adjustable bars. I also put in ski guides so the sleds slide really easily. I always tie the sleds down, even if I am just going a few miles. There is too much money tied up with the trailer and sleds to be fighting with an insurance company if something does go wrong that could have been prevented. Would never trailer the sleds without tying them down. JMHO!!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I purchased a new Aluma inline this year and it has the tracks for adjustable bars. I also put in ski guides so the sleds slide really easily. I always tie the sleds down, even if I am just going a few miles. There is too much money tied up with the trailer and sleds to be fighting with an insurance company if something does go wrong that could have been prevented. Would never trailer the sleds without tying them down. JMHO!!
I just purchased the same trailer on New Years Eve. I choose to secure my sleds down. What can it possible hurt to do so.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
My trailer has etrack near the floor on both walls. We usually pull the front skies tight against the wall and tie them there then tie the rears to both walls. It keeps them in place if you make a quick maneuver and keeps them from sliding around and rubbing on the walls or each other. Does anyone have etrack down the center of the floor I wondered if it would fill with ice. I've been thinking I would add some way of tieing to the middle of the floor it would make it a lot easier.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
put a couple on the floor. leave the hooks in the etrack but it doesnt look like anything has really filled it. we run the heater on the way down the mtn then throw and electric heater in back at the house so its dry in a day.

C4EA895E-B367-4394-A09D-3F69AF20DAB1-228-000000BCB6D361B5_zpsd0ae41d5.jpg

My trailer has etrack near the floor on both walls. We usually pull the front skies tight against the wall and tie them there then tie the rears to both walls. It keeps them in place if you make a quick maneuver and keeps them from sliding around and rubbing on the walls or each other. Does anyone have etrack down the center of the floor I wondered if it would fill with ice. I've been thinking I would add some way of tieing to the middle of the floor it would make it a lot easier.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
I haven't read this thread yet...funny chit. Personally I don't care what other people do with their rigs, but if you want to ride in my trailer plan on using some sort of tie downs. Call me anal if you want, but I don't want my trailer to get all scratched up as I plan on having it for quite some time.

meathooker:
I put e-track down on the floor where I wanted to hook the super clamps and it works great. In the summer I just remove the loops that go in the e-track and have no problem hauling cars.

ndmtnsledder:
I also have no issues (not yet anyway) with snow/ice getting in the e-track. Once you get them set you shouldn't have to move the tie down loops in the e-track. I have moved them at times when a sled gets loaded in a different spot, but so far no issues with snow or ice.

Mr Super Clamp guy:
I think the quality of your super clamps speak for themselves. I thought it was funny you calling people stupid. It won't stop me from buying more clamps in the future from you. Made for a funny read if you ask me.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
In my enclosed I RARELY tie them down. Just put the brake on. They never even shift and I drive pretty fast in the snow and have had some exciting moments. On really long trips I do put a strap on the back which I think would stop the sleds from moving forward in a hard hit. I have superclamps on my 12' Triton with top cap but they are more window dressing/insurance excuse than anything. Way faster than the stock screw down piece. A decent hit there is NO way that little hook that goes through the eye bolt is going to stop anything. Tying down the back would help but it's hard to get a decent angle with a long track and a 12' trailer.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
According to my Polaris owners manual for my Pro RMK the parking brake is not to be set for more than a period of five minutes. :face-icon-small-coo

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Pro I have wondered about that too. If fluid will leak around the master cylinder etc. NEVER had it happen but I really try and make sure that the brakes are all off once I get where I am going but have forgotten and left them on for days. The brake is always tight and on my Pro can be hard to get off. The ebrake on the Pro is a poor design.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
We had our sleds tied down front and back. First trip out to Revy with a new trailer and we got rear ended while we were stopped. Ripped the E Track out of the floor on the sleds and barrels and some other stuff we had tied down.

If we were in a more serious accident I don't think it would have helped much quite frankly.

884902_10152634941035301_1019706026_o.jpg

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
My M8 front bumper is not something I'd rely on too much to keep the sled put in case something happened. It is plastic. Most of the front bumpers, OEM, that I've seen only appear strong enough to move the sled around by hand, like something to grab onto.

I like the method of a tie down bar across the skis and a strap on the back bumper to the floor.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
And really the strap on the rear should be from the skid to the floor. I belly wrap the bottom of the scissor to keep the strap off of the sharp rail edges; and have used cardboard before as softeners. If you go to the bumper you either run the risk of hitting a bump, compressing the skid, thus temperarly slacking the strap, and the strap coming unhooked. Or you compress the skid and it stays in a compressed state for the duration of the trip, which isn't good either.

B

boatingbent

Dec 18, 2009
Spring valley minnesota
I use ski Bars for the front ...
Here is what I use on the rear which is quick and easy ...I keep 4 of the Boat to Trailer tie downs in my Sled Trailer.....All you got do is hook them to floor and snowmobile ...Put my 240 LBS *** on the sled and snap the strap (DONE)

Speeedracer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2006
Kanasas
IIII like the superclamp idea, but they are so expensive! any alternatives to them? I need 6! Also going to put a nice cabinet in if anyone has online suggestions?

Premium Features