• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin Oregon GPS..anyone carry one?

Nov 27, 2007
Anyone using the garmin oregon GPS when sledding? I'd appreciate any feedback. Currently carry an orginal etrex. Time for a new one.

C

Climbit

Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC
I dont carry one yet, but I cant wait to get one. I was playing with the 300 the other day at the store. Nice unit

Nov 27, 2007
Price?

What price were you quoted and did you compare how quickly it hooked into satellites compared to the 60 CSX? I think I found a pretty good deal in Vancouver.

V

Vboost

Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
I heard the touch screen is really slow and sometimes does not work in cold weather!! I like the Colorado, same unit without the touch screen..

M
Apr 2, 2002
Montana
I have the Oregon and have had no issues with it. When it was negative 10 out the only thing I found as with anything, the batteries did not hold up as long. I love the unit. A buddy has a Colorado and it is a nice unit as well. I have herd people complain about the touch screen being to hard to use. I think it is Ok to use, just not as sensitve as my IPod Touch.

I found mine on Flea Bay at christmas and paid $311.00 shipped and include a US Topo CD and micro SD card, all brand new. Local stores are carrying them for $450.00 with nothing included. (This is the 300)

:beer;

C

Climbit

Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC
I really liked the user interface, all the functions you need are on each screen. No extra buttons to get confused with. The price was 499 CDN without any maps or anything. If only the iphone was 100% satellite tracked.

X

Xman

Mar 5, 2008
I have the colorado 400t and have had really good luck with it. Seems to be easy to use compared to my older magellin.

Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the input. I was quoted $450 Canadian and $50 for some Topo maps. Think I'll go the Oregon route. I have the first generation etrex. Anything will be a huge improvement. The simple touch screen sure seems easy to navigate around. I think that alone makes it worth it.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I really liked the user interface, all the functions you need are on each screen. No extra buttons to get confused with. The price was 499 CDN without any maps or anything. If only the iphone was 100% satellite tracked.

Bluetooth GPS receiver :p

A
Nov 30, 2007
I carry the oregon, when I bought it I was told the colorado was water resistant and the oregon was waterproof. Don't know if I believe it but I've had the oregon covered in snow and water all day and it still works well. Batteries do not last long when cold.

S

sledcrazy55

Jan 24, 2008
harlowton (gods country)
etrex

i use the etrex vista cx and it works pretty well. i just started using it this year but it helped us when we were lost once so far. it doesnt have any topography but u can down load it onto your computer mark places and then down load them back to the gps. i am using it to mark the untouched holes. it doesnt have highways, towns and lakes though. a good gps for about anything u need when sleddin.

Premium Features