• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Summit X: First Ride Impressions

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

LARGER PRINT VERSION BELOW!

Last edited:

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
I read it in small print, then scrolled down :face-icon-small-con, You should edit the top and put ( Larger print below) or something so we know.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Honestly for how easy it is to start my pro with the pull starter, I would prefer to save the 2 lbs from the shot. Maybe the doos pull over harder?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Honestly for how easy it is to start my pro with the pull starter, I would prefer to save the 2 lbs from the shot. Maybe the doos pull over harder?

You're still waiting energy pull starting versus pressing a button. 30-40 pulls a day adds up.

It's also about the times the sled is in a position that makes it hard to pull start. No much of a problem with Cats that have the pull start in the center.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Haha leave it somebody to complain about an innovation that adds only 2lbs to the sled for the convenience of pressing a button all day...gtfo

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
SHOT is genius!!!! I love the e-start for all the reasons mentioned, this set up is just 10-12lbs lighter than an e-start with a LW battery.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Yes the doo's pull over harder than the Polaris.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
SHOT is awesome.... great job by SkiDoo !!

You have to pay for development... and get paid when you have a great product...I get all of that..

but for the complexity and components involved... the up charge for SHOT is pretty darn steep IMO... I wonder where where the actual curve of profit maximization occurs.... where volume and price intersect to yield the most.... That often weighs heavily on market predictions by the bean counters...

IMO... SHOT is a great system that we will see drastic price drops on in the years to come... but hey..In the mean time, you'll have to pay big bucks for cutting edge tech.

AND beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder (aka buyer) ...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I guess I thought the doo is easier to start. It is like a little half a pull where the poo seems to start closer to the end of the rope. That really pains my shoulders after 25 years of concrete.
Doo might finally get their wish and be even or possibly lighter if you compare shot compared to an electric start poo.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The 850 starts within 12" of pulling the rope. $600 for a fake electric start is silly. Do the math of what every start costs for the duration of a year. I will come start your sleds for you. Obviously the guys that put on 3000 miles a year are paying less per start than the guys that put on 500. But seriously, are we all really that lazy? It is like the girl that has to park right next to the gym instead of across the parking lot, because she doesn't want to have to walk into the gym. To walk on the treadmill....

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
That reminds me of the argument against reverse back in the day, now no one would buy a sled without it now.

Same with KTM dirt bikes all come stock with e start , at first everyone b-tched about the weight now KTM is lighter even with e start and the rest of the industry is playing catch up.
It will not take long before the consumer will demand shot or E start at no weight penalty on Sleds.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
My rotator cuff is soar from old age and my livelihood. But pulling the rope all day makes it hurt. I was already to snow check a e-start n sacrifice the weight and extra responsibility in the summer to keep the battery charged. Win win for me.... If they figure out the clutching

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The 850 starts within 12" of pulling the rope. $600 for a fake electric start is silly. Do the math of what every start costs for the duration of a year. I will come start your sleds for you. Obviously the guys that put on 3000 miles a year are paying less per start than the guys that put on 500. But seriously, are we all really that lazy? It is like the girl that has to park right next to the gym instead of across the parking lot, because she doesn't want to have to walk into the gym. To walk on the treadmill....

I am far from lazy. You come with me when I do a 2000 Sq. Ft. Floor by myself when it's 90 out and then you decide whether I'm lazy. I might be tired but can't quit. I might be thirsty but don't have time to get a drink. Might get a cramp but you just have to straighten your leg and keep toweling. I usually have help but I have done this.
You wouldn't even question why I would want it if you had my shoulders for a day. Years ago, I was one spending a $100 per pound to take weight off and wouldn't hear of it. Well, things change. Way less energy spent. Does away with those awkward starts. Little to no weight. Can't imagine why you wouldn't want it. The funny thing is is nobody will notice the weight difference between shot and electric start. You can't tell on a doo guaranteed but at least you won't have to play the battery game or spin the clutch.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Very impressive , makes what the other manufactures have obsolete technology .

These girls would tell you where to put that recoil rope and extra weight :face-icon-small-hap

IMG_20170121_115247288.jpg

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
SHOT is awesome.... great job by SkiDoo !!

You have to pay for development... and get paid when you have a great product...I get all of that..

but for the complexity and components involved... the up charge for SHOT is pretty darn steep IMO... I wonder where where the actual curve of profit maximization occurs.... where volume and price intersect to yield the most.... That often weighs heavily on market predictions by the bean counters...

IMO... SHOT is a great system that we will see drastic price drops on in the years to come... but hey..In the mean time, you'll have to pay big bucks for cutting edge tech.

AND beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder (aka buyer) ...

The first adopters of technology always bear the brunt of the cost. Especially so with snowmobiles where unlike phones or a TV, you have far fewer customers to spread the costs of developing new tech.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN

Usually i agree with most of your comments on here. I think you are way off.... You cannot use the Money argument. You spend 2-3k per sled on shocks most years on multiple sleds... E start is the best thing ever in the mountains. I would way rather have it on my mountain sled than my trail sled. When i just got done rolling the sled over and it's on a sidehill with the recoil on the downward side in 4ft of fresh snow i would way rather just hit the button. Now i can hit the button for 2lbs. added weight... Just a no brainer.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Usually i agree with most of your comments on here. I think you are way off.... You cannot use the Money argument. You spend 2-3k per sled on shocks most years on multiple sleds... E start is the best thing ever in the mountains. I would way rather have it on my mountain sled than my trail sled. When i just got done rolling the sled over and it's on a sidehill with the recoil on the downward side in 4ft of fresh snow i would way rather just hit the button. Now i can hit the button for 2lbs. added weight... Just a no brainer.

I agree, but my 15 for some reason is really hard to start when warm. Plus I tore a muscle in my right shoulder in the fall and I re injured it every time I rode due to my pull start this year.

Premium Features