• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M1000 piston replacement ?

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I have a 2009 M1000 with full slp kit with a pc3 controller, The sled has 2500 miles on. My question is doing a compression test will that be enough to lead me to redoing top end or not? I plan to pull head and exhaust, From reading many of the post on the 1000 seem like excessive wear causing too much play in cylinder resulting in a piston skirt failure is most common issue. Also will a wiggle test give me an information(with head off see how much wiggle there is with each piston)? Thanks for reply's,

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Just did a compression test with cylinders at operating temp, 124 on both pto and mag, this is at 1500 ft, stock head,
cylinders look really good from the exhaust port. I am going to run it. Technique was throttle at wot and 6 hard pulls, plug out of each cylinder, more pulls did result in a 1 lbs more compression from the first 6 pulls.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Get it done soon

They have a piston skirt breakage problem. I have a 2007 M1000 and at 2800 miles on let go. Big piston in a large Jug, big bores are hard on pistons. You may not see the crack on the piston, I didn't till it was to late. Ran it for 300 miles with one skirt broke off, I remember when it broke. Locked up after a hard pull. Rotated the crank backwards a little, it un locked and started and chunk came out the exhaust. Rode it the rest of the day and a few other trips as I didn't know what the problem was. Tore it down and saw the problem, took out the case and the cyl. Was cheaper to replace the whole engine then the top and case.
Do it ASAP, also check the rod bearings and they are know to go out to.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
From what I've seen the rock of the piston in the bore, fatigue at the bottom if the piston skirt. I think it was also on the back side, so could not see it from the exhaust valve or exhaust port. I was watching for the marks in from the exhaust and the back came apart. Too Late!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
yep i would change them its not hard to do and if it does break a skirt it can hit under the rod and crack or put a hole in the case

Premium Features