• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kids Mountain Sled

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
image_zpsba1c8255.jpg

image_zps0483ed9c.jpg

image_zpsccf99f60.jpg

Last edited:
B

burnz

Jan 7, 2013
Nanton, Alberta
i don't get why none of the manufacturers build something like this now, these snoscoots are cool but the look like a bastardized kids quad. its a shame that the snow market cant see this age group as an important part of snowmobiling when i was around that age i would have loved this a lot more then the 340 indy i rode for a while

B
Dec 25, 2009
i don't get why none of the manufacturers build something like this now, these snoscoots are cool but the look like a bastardized kids quad. its a shame that the snow market cant see this age group as an important part of snowmobiling when i was around that age i would have loved this a lot more then the 340 indy i rode for a while

fabcraft is making a mini mountain sled that is near affordable. nice sled, but this winter i have seen several kids in the mountains on homebuilt 340 indy mountain sleds. i will be building a mountain mini this summer from an old artic cat 340 trail sled. will get the 440 air engine with suspension and a 121x1.5 track. home made pwder boards etc. should be enough to keep kids occupied for a while

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
After installing the 136x1.25 under the 340, I don't think I would go any shorter, or likely any longer. This seemed to be a good length for turning but mostly for floatation to keep things up on the snow. The 440 should help quite a bit.

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
I think issues will arise with how he mounted slide rails too sport swing arm.
On scoot theat is we're the 2 springs are to put down pressure on slide rails.
He has just turned the break disk around . Then attached hydro lick break .
? Will the original break cover fit on and cover break parts.

tjs529

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Minnesota
Some good pictures but would like to see more on the brake mounting and where did you find a float to work in there?

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Sorry haven't been around this thread this fall. The float came off a apex rear timber suspension I believe. 15.5 ctc. Had a nextech machine the eyelet bearings to fit. The bracket I made was basically aluminum plate. Just made a cardboard template to mount it on the exsisting bolts. Used spacers to set the center. Pretty much just kept grinding till I had a perfect fit. Pretty straight forward. Cover won't fit. Thistledoo on the forum here did it to his and has runnng time on the snow and no issues with it not being covered. I still don't have mine running. Hope to get mine on the snow this year. I will try to get better pictures.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Scoot and sport have different springs. Sport only has one in the middle. The mounting points are the same as factory. Only made it longer.

I think issues will arise with how he mounted slide rails too sport swing arm.
On scoot theat is we're the 2 springs are to put down pressure on slide rails.
He has just turned the break disk around . Then attached hydro lick break .
? Will the original break cover fit on and cover break parts.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Re vamped the rear mount. Just used the sport bracket cut it in half and welded 2" section. Also used the steel shaft. Found some bushings that fit in the ends to.
image_zps4fe41ffc.jpg

C
Nov 29, 2008
Never though to cut the tube and re-wield .... I cut the brackets away from the tube and repositioned them .... cutting the tube would have been quicker ...

The 121" x 12.5" x 1.33" is loads on the Sport ... the 108" x 11.5" on my other one is great as well and doesn't tend to push as much.

Still can't understand why one of the 4 OEMs do not bring back this size of a sled ... 120's are too small and next new smallest sled is a 550 fan ... likely not enough demand to warrant one from each but if one of them did it I'm sure that they would sell more than enough to recoup investment and cultivate a relationship that would be most beneficial a little ways down the road.

Wouldn't require major investment as many of the components can be sourced off the shelf other than possibly a free air 250 4 stroke to meet emissions - but I think Yam already has this in a scooter.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
We had this discussion with a young Polaris rep at the snow show this fall. They were not brought up as a rider so they weren't aware, but we walked them through the discussion points about when a kid starts to ride. Typically on 20+ year old sleds now and those are harder to come by or keep running.

I think EPA and the engine are going to be the biggest hurdle. If one has a 200-250 4 stroke in a quad or something similar that could be sourced, I think they would have a start.

Premium Features