• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Windshield trimming

D
Jan 25, 2008
Blackfoot, ID
How do you guys trim your windshields and make them look good? I want to trim mine down but I'm not exactly a perfectionist so I think that it might not look right if I do it. Also, what do you cut them with? Thanks.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
I used a cutting wheel on mine. Use blue painter tape to mask of the front of the shield. Then draw a line on the tape where your going to make the cut. After that I sanded the cut to smooth it out and then transfered the edging over. You can use a compase to transfer the stock profile lower, or create your own design.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
For mine I did the layout with a Sharpie and blue tape.

And then cut with aviation tin snips.

33685.jpg

A
Dec 4, 2007
Fairbanks
I used a pair of tin snips and then superglued the push on chrome or black trim you use on the edge fo a door on a car. Can get it at Napa or Schucks. I imagine a cutoff wheel would be faster but caused to much build up of melted plastic for me.

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
1) Mark off with a sharpie

2) Use Dremel with cut-off wheel to cut

3) Sand down top

4) I re-used the black trimming, used a touch of RTV get it to hold

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
yup everything said here is all good advice. one thing that was overlooked was to use a hairdryer or heatgun to get the edging off the windshield to start with. peel it off from the back of the windshield forward. heres how mine looked before and after.

agrad 082.jpg PICT0123.jpg

D
Feb 4, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
I have done this to many sleds. A good pair of tin snips is by far the easiest. Get a pair of snips that cut left and right, and it's like cutting through cardboard. Like someone else said, heat up the rubber piece on top of the windshield. It peals right off. Then glue it back on over your new cut. Looks as good as an aftermarket one, and there is no need to sand anything.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Newfoundland
Cut one for a friend a couple nights ago. Used a smaller screen from a Firecat as a template. Taped it with painters tape and used a dremel to cut it. Turned out perfect once the trim was back on. Looks stock.

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
Oh god ya... was thinking about getting a shorty windsheild... but not anymore!
Looks great... Thanks for the instructions guy's.

Premium Features