• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys bogging

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I have an axys 155 I bought used with 1200 miles. It hasn't run right from the day I bought it. First of all it wouldn't idle. I had to keep some throttle in it for it to run. And it ran rough. Super rough. So I took it to the dealer and got the tps adjusted so now it idles but it's still really rough and it bogs. It bogs from 2000 to 5000 rpm then it has a spot up to 6000 that it runs good and then it bogs again from 6000 up to 6500 and it won't go any higher than that. The bottom end bog is always there. The top end bog comes and goes. Also it will not go over 8,000 rpm. It hits 8000 at 6,000 ft and it hits it at 11,500 ft elevation. It don't matter what elevation it's at it just goes to 8000 rpm. It's been to the dealer 3 times and he is at his wits end. We have checked every wire, replaced every relay and greased every connection. Power valves have been cleaned as well. Anyone here have to deal with this kind of problem?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
You say Power valves cleaned have they been adjusted by a dealer?

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Yikes what a nightmare. Buy it form a dealer, or private? If it ran like that from day one, I'd like to think a dealer would have taken it back? Or in a perfect world, not sold it at all as they would have tested it..

If bought private, not a lot can do now, except hope you get it running great asap, as the sled really is something when working properly..

Clutches pulled apart and any worn pieces replaced? 1200 miles be due for a rebuild for sure..

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Yikes what a nightmare. Buy it form a dealer, or private? If it ran like that from day one, I'd like to think a dealer would have taken it back? Or in a perfect world, not sold it at all as they would have tested it..

If bought private, not a lot can do now, except hope you get it running great asap, as the sled really is something when working properly..

Clutches pulled apart and any worn pieces replaced? 1200 miles be due for a rebuild for sure..

I bought it private from a sponsored rider. It used to have a bd sidekick on it. Alpine supposedly had it running good and that's why I bought it. My dealer said the reeds also looked good. I'm taking the clutch apart today to see how it looks. We may end up replacing the wiring harness and the ecu. But we are trying all the small stuff, sensors, relays and capacitors first.

Even with how crappy it is running I love how this sled handles. It just keeps going when it should be stuck.

Last edited:
J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
My sled was doing the exact same thing with reed pedals blown out on the PTO cylinder. They damaged the cylinder walls and polaris put in a new top end. How do your plugs look?Other possibility is injector but if your plug is wet and makes a spark i'd be leaning towards reeds or exhaust valve issue. While you're messing around it's probably not a bad idea to pull and clean all electrical connections and add a tiny bit of dielectric grease. When you are looking at the clutch check the rollers by pushing on them hard when you rotate them to feel for rough spots. Could also be a sacked out primary spring. Stock clutching should be 120/330 primary spring, 64g weights (probably too heavy for CO), 155/222 secondary spring, and straight 40 helix. Hope you get it sorted out!

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I bought it private from a sponsored Polaris rider. It used to have a bd sidekick on it. Alpine supposedly had it running good and that's why I bought it. My dealer said the reeds also looked good. I'm taking the clutch apart today to see how it looks. We may end up replacing the wiring harness and the ecu. But we are trying all the small stuff, sensors, relays and capacitors first.

Even with how crappy it is running I love how this sled handles. It just keeps going when it should be stuck.

1200 Turbo miles with a "sponsored" rider at the controls... have you done a compression check, leak down, or pulled the cylinders to look at pistons and rings? When I tore down our two 2016 Axys, I found both cylinders out of spec and pistons were worn... @ 650 miles and 1200 miles AND they were stock with non-sponsored riders at the controls.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
If i had a list of sleds to buy, and one that "used to have a turbo" was on it . . .that one would be a the very bottom of the list! Just sayin :)

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
If i had a list of sleds to buy, and one that "used to have a turbo" was on it . . .that one would be a the very bottom of the list! Just sayin :)

The joys of buying from a dishonest person. I didn't know it had a turbo until after I got it home. When I asked them if it had anything done to it they said it only had a can and alpine had just gone through it to make sure everything was good. Turns out, alpine hasn't touched this sled since the turbo was installed. I picked the sled up at night so I didn't see the hole in the tunnel til the next day.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The joys of buying from a dishonest person. I didn't know it had a turbo until after I got it home. When I asked them if it had anything done to it they said it only had a can and alpine had just gone through it to make sure everything was good. Turns out, alpine hasn't touched this sled since the turbo was installed. I picked the sled up at night so I didn't see the hole in the tunnel til the next day.

Wow! Huge Bummer! Unfortunately there are dishonest people everywhere.

It is a 2016 Axys, correct?
Wondering if a friend or dealer that has a good running sled would swap ECUs with you and let you take it for a rip to rule out that piece of the puzzle . . ?

Also, the dealer might "update" the fuel mapping in the ECU to the 2017 version.

You might give Carl's Cycle Sales in Boise ID (208.853.5550) a call and talk to the service department for any suggestions. They can't "diagnose" a sled over the phone obviously, but may have come across this same issue in the past and might have some helpful ideas or things to try. If the service dept is not too helpful, you might try talking to Jack (the owner) directly about this as well. He is a genius when it comes to these things. He is extremely busy and hard to get ahold of . . .just a fair warning :)

Good luck!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Wow! Huge Bummer! Unfortunately there are dishonest people everywhere.

It is a 2016 Axys, correct?
Wondering if a friend or dealer that has a good running sled would swap ECUs with you and let you take it for a rip to rule out that piece of the puzzle . . ?

Also, the dealer might "update" the fuel mapping in the ECU to the 2017 version.

You might give Carl's Cycle Sales in Boise ID (208.853.5550) a call and talk to the service department for any suggestions. They can't "diagnose" a sled over the phone obviously, but may have come across this same issue in the past and might have some helpful ideas or things to try. If the service dept is not too helpful, you might try talking to Jack (the owner) directly about this as well. He is a genius when it comes to these things. He is extremely busy and hard to get ahold of . . .just a fair warning :)

Good luck!

I dropped it off again yesterday at the dealer and they are going to reflash it and if that don't work they will pull the head off to see if there's some piston damage. They also want to go over the wiring harness again to make sure we didn't miss a worn wire somewhere. I'm sure we'll get it figured out, I was just seeing if anyone had any experience like this.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Good plan on the reflash. That might work. I hope there is no engine damage. Without a warranty, that can get quite expensive.

There were some wire rubbing issues at the top of the overstructure area (where the steering post goes through), along the clutch shield, and above the power valves on the 2016 models, as i recall.

Be interesting to hear what they find out when it is finally fixed. Keep us posted.

Cheers!

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI

How far are you from vohk? If it doesn't get any better id think about giving them a call and having them take a look at their supposedly dialed sled or threaten to expose their sponsored rider ;)

B
Apr 5, 2019
I have an axys 155 I bought used with 1200 miles. It hasn't run right from the day I bought it. First of all it wouldn't idle. I had to keep some throttle in it for it to run. And it ran rough. Super rough. So I took it to the dealer and got the tps adjusted so now it idles but it's still really rough and it bogs. It bogs from 2000 to 5000 rpm then it has a spot up to 6000 that it runs good and then it bogs again from 6000 up to 6500 and it won't go any higher than that. The bottom end bog is always there. The top end bog comes and goes. Also it will not go over 8,000 rpm. It hits 8000 at 6,000 ft and it hits it at 11,500 ft elevation. It don't matter what elevation it's at it just goes to 8000 rpm. It's been to the dealer 3 times and he is at his wits end. We have checked every wire, replaced every relay and greased every connection. Power valves have been cleaned as well. Anyone here have to deal with this kind of problem?
Any outcome with this? My 2017 Axys was doing the same thing.. now it won’t even start...

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Had a bog on hard quick throttle, and full throttle was not happy at all. Took it in and dealer replaced fuel pump. Have not test drove it yet.....18 axys, 1100 miles

Premium Features