• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What pack do you carry your DSLR in on rides?

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
I've searched for years and haven't found one that I really like. Used Lowe Pro Trekkers and Clik bags, but nothing is really made for people who aren't hikers. I've made a foam internal case for my ABS bag for this year... probably stick with that.

What are you using? Pic? Link?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ya its tough to carry expensive equipment safely in this sport. I have a couple differemt Slingshots and a large Lowepro backpack i use in other applications for carrying my big SD vid cam. Lowepro makes some good backs for sure. I like the ABS idea.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
I just put mine in a soft case then put it in my back pack. Always smash my sandwich but all well. Haha:face-icon-small-ton

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I use a padded backpack, but now that I went to an AVi-Vest I can't wear a pack and that was part of my intent when I went to the Avi-Vest is to get weight off of my back.

My current plan is to use a Pelican case that is padded and will easily stay shut or locked and make a mount or buy one where I can mount it on my tunnel. Cut the foam in the case to fit my camera and lenses perfectly. I'm sure for normal riding they will be fine, Might consider taking it off for big drops and what not.

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
This year I've switched over to a pelican case to my tunnel. Absolutely bullet proof! I made a custom rack to hold the thing down. Quick access, waterproof, shock proof. I'll see if I can get some pics, but imo, it's the only way to go.

A
Nov 16, 2010
Idaho
I use the pelican 1400 case also. It is a nice size to strap on your tunnel. And can fit the camera with a 300 mm lense easily and the smaller lense also. My hardest thing has been finding the right straps to hold it onto the tunnel. I've been on some pretty rough trails and it performs great at protecting the camera. I would not think twice about dropping it in the lake to show people how much i trust it. Totally waterproof. I use a Nikon d3100.

I see half the guys on this thread are from Idaho. Guess we love our scenery!

Last edited:

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I don't know about you guys, but there is no way I want my camera bouncing around in a case on my tunnel. I don't care how padded/tight it fits in the case/padding. lots of precision parts/glass.

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
This year I've switched over to a pelican case to my tunnel. Absolutely bullet proof! I made a custom rack to hold the thing down. Quick access, waterproof, shock proof. I'll see if I can get some pics, but imo, it's the only way to go.

Can you still ride like a crack head in a stolen car with a camera in that case? I would be nervous.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I purchased a small handle bar bag and put extra padding in it. So far about 500 miles this year and no issues. Only thing I don't like is it isn't water proof and it isn't heated. the batteries last MUCH longer if you keep it heated. I have tossed in a hand warmer to keep it warm that helps.

Thunder

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
burton zoom pack, kick a$$ pack built for backcountry snowboard filming, shovel pocket, annd removable camera shell

A
Nov 16, 2010
Idaho
I have bombed down some pretty rough trails and wondered how well the camera was holding up. Have never had any problems with it in the Pelican case.

Only problem was once I kicked the bunjie strap off and the case fell off. Redid how i hook them up after that.

King o the Hill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Long Beach, Ca
www.teamsummit.net
Dakine Backpack and gloves to cushion it! nothing fancy but easy to get to as the pack has side access and is made for snowboarders love the pack.Shooting for 5 years plus now with never a broken piece of equip. and it carrys my survival gear.... ditch a couple can of beer and your good lol!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm thinking a Pelican case with vibration mounts between the case and the tunnel would be golden.

A10Z2311A_iso.jpg

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
I used to have a windshield bag that worked out well for my little camera, but I have upgraded and my new camera isn't going to come close to fitting there anymore! I'm leaning toward the Burton Zoom Pack, I'm still nervous about putting it in a pelican case on the tunnel...if I keep spending at the rate I have been my camera's going to be worth more than my sled in no time! :face-icon-small-blu

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
I got a canon T3 , I think for this season i will be somehow finding a smaller case for it and hiding it in my backpack. Having your body dampen the shock helps.

Premium Features