• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys Primary removal ???

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Once the puller is bent (which it will if your clutch is on there good), cut off the piece from the bottom of the threads to the tip of the puller. Now use your new tool with water and teflon tape. Use enough teflon tape that you don't see the water oozing out of the hole as you tighten it. I put a junky belt on the clutches and wrap something soft like a blanket or sweater on the primary as well because it will want to smash into the secondary if you leave the belt on when you pop it. This is how I got my stubborn clutch off as the dealer said they could not do it and they tried everything. It is pretty frightening when it finally breaks so just go slow and be prepared.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Once the puller is bent (which it will if your clutch is on there good), cut off the piece from the bottom of the threads to the tip of the puller. Now use your new tool with water and teflon tape. Use enough teflon tape that you don't see the water oozing out of the hole as you tighten it. I put a junky belt on the clutches and wrap something soft like a blanket or sweater on the primary as well because it will want to smash into the secondary if you leave the belt on when you pop it. This is how I got my stubborn clutch off as the dealer said they could not do it and they tried everything. It is pretty frightening when it finally breaks so just go slow and be prepared.

I use the same method, but instead of water I use a thick oil, chain lube for chainsaws work very well.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well........

Due to it being a 2017 and under warranty, I folded and ran it over to the dealer. I figured let them mess with it and if there's an issue or something breaks, no question it's covered! Got it back, no charge and the primary is now off!!!!

Method used--------Grease and an impact. They said they just took their time and hit it with the impact, hit it again, tap a little, hit again and eventually to popped off.

When asked about an impact and creating any damage....The response was, we've been doing it this way for over 25 years and we have NEVER had a problem with a crank. The mechanic, which I know and trust, just laughed and said it works.

At any rate.....Thanks guys for all the input !!!!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Well........

Due to it being a 2017 and under warranty, I folded and ran it over to the dealer. I figured let them mess with it and if there's an issue or something breaks, no question it's covered! Got it back, no charge and the primary is now off!!!!

Method used--------Grease and an impact. They said they just took their time and hit it with the impact, hit it again, tap a little, hit again and eventually to popped off.

When asked about an impact and creating any damage....The response was, we've been doing it this way for over 25 years and we have NEVER had a problem with a crank. The mechanic, which I know and trust, just laughed and said it works.

At any rate.....Thanks guys for all the input !!!!

I do the same.
Grease the tip.
Impact tight and walk away.
Pops instantly or later.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
This works every single time. Especially in the cold...

Tighten the puller up as far as you feel comfortable.

Boil a large pot of water.

Pour boiling water on clutch.

Boom

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
My 16 clutch came off like a beotch. I used puller with water method. Sled was on its side and when clutch popped it flew up in the air and onto the concrete putting a nice dinger in it. I've taken probably 20 clutches off and never once had one fly off like that... LOL

Same thing happened to me. I tried to catch it but to slow as I turned away that very second it popped. I couldn't believe how far up that thing went.

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
We see this a bit with sleds that have had their primary spun on the crank. I had a joy removing my 2016's primary after 1000 miles last winter. I failed to use my own tricks when it was new, a mistake I wont make again. It took me and a large buddy (we're both over 200) reefing on it for some time, and when it let go it flew...super awesome time.

The technique I use to prevent this from happening is:

1. Remove the primary and clean off any ickyness.

2. Apply a mild lapping compound and spin the primary on the crankshaft

3. Clean off the lapping compound completely

4. Apply light film of anti seize and immediately wipe down. Do not leave any on the clutch or crank

5. Re-install clutch and torque per service manual

Obviously this is a use at your own risk technique but I've found it works very well. I don't spin primaries anymore and I am running a boosted setup.:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
T
Nov 11, 2008
Just a FYI, the puller bolt from a Snap-On grip puller set is the perfect size for using the water method. Rather than chance damaging the primary bolt or use another high grade bolt I know the Snap-on one shouldn't fail/bend.

I am sure other sets use the same thread, just happened I had a snap-on set.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Anyone have recommenations on a holder? Using a pry bar right now and not a fan, I see SLP makes a holder, anyone else?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
SLP is a nice holder for the poo, so is their press for the primary and secondary.

Last edited:
P
Jan 12, 2008
I'm talking the puller bolt size and thread pitch. Not the bolt that holds it on the crank.

What do they want the hold down bolt torqued to?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Bought a new SLP puller yesterday. Waded up the end today. Clutch still on the sled. Will take it to the dealer next week. Can't you do all the service on the ski doo clutch with it on???? Been on Polaris since 93, but I must admit it's getting harder and harder.

Premium Features