• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air compressor for air bags and fill location for air bags

L
May 15, 2009
Looking at getting a small inexpensive portable air compressor for my air bags and was wondering what anyone is using and what to stay away from? Don't want to have to mount one permanently as I have not decided exactly where I'm going to run my air lines. Plan is to install the air bags this weekend depending on what the Big Sky Garage decides to do!

Also, where are most of you running your air lines to? See in the directions that they show the lines running back to the rear bumper using the license plate mounts for the fill location. Again, I haven't decided exactly where I want to run my lines for a fill location so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Most trucks have the fill points back on the license plate like you said. I saw where a guy routed them to right inside his fuel door on the side of the gas cap, pretty slick. It really doesn't matter, just wherever you can find that is out of the way and convenient for you to use.

As far as compressors go, just about anything will do. The bags take very little volume to fill up. I think Slime Brand(the fix a flat tire stuff) has a real compact compressor.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
01 superduty.
I have my lines come in from the top inside fuel door.
There is a lot of space in between inner and outer bed walls.
I sat up in front of the tire and used a regular cordless drill to drill from the top of filler box.

Also I have the firestone air compressor mounted inside of frame rail behind the transfer case and the dual gage with separate switches for right and left bag.

20130729_114155.jpg

20130729_111437.jpg

Last edited:
W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
I put an airlift brand compressor on with wireless controller. I did this a little while after I put the bags on so I already had the lines running out the back. It comes with little T fittings so you can just tap it right into you existing lines. The best part about the wireless controller is you dont have to run any lines into your cab. Been on there for probably 4 years with no issues, way better than getting out to fill bags every time!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a brand new compressor with the same gauge as Summ8RMK for sale. PM me if you are interested. I never used it and ended up going with a wireless setup. It was costly though and I can get you the setup you need with all the lines and wiring included.

S

skidoo2012

Feb 22, 2009
Redfield South Dakota
spend the extra money and get the compressor so you don't have to tote a compressor and its nice to be able to change the amount of PSI right from the cab. Just my .02.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
The old school method is fine just keep an air check with you and adjust and fill as needed at the gas station or where ever you can get air. But compressor mounted is easier! Or try a portable compressor that you clip to your battery!

Mitch P.

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Snohomish, Wa
If you do decide on a portable, try to find one that doesn't have to screw onto the air fittings. You will loose a good amount of air from the bags while trying to get it unthreaded. I myself, have the Wireless Air also and love it.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
if you do not go with an onboard air compressor, i think the handiest place to mount the "valve stems" to fill the bags is inside the fuel door. thats where i had them on my old pickup. i had a 12v compressor i plugged into the cigarette lighter, ran it down the drivers side and back to the fuel door when i needed to fill the bags. it was simple, yet a pain in the ***. my new pickup got an onboard air compressor because it is just SOOOO nice to sit in the drivers seat, push buttons, and let the system do its thing.
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"hd1080","fshd":true,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
yes sir! mine were a little more towards the back so they sat more horizontal, but if you had a 90* air chuck id imagine that would work just as good.

now i have one of these in the bed with a wireless controller. i kind of spoiled myself this go-round haha

<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"hd1080","fshd":true,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sweet setup. I have the swing case on the driver side of my bed. But it's full of straps. The pic is a little deceiving, a straight air chuck works fine.
my compressor is mounted inside the frame rail right behind the transfer case. It stays clean and dry too.
20131121_185803.jpg

Premium Features