• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City Exxon/Polaris. . . if you ride in Cooke City period READ THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
What the h*ll are you talking about, mountain mechanics are bad people?!? Theyre the best people!! They are so great because they are in an isolated location and have the smallest window of time to fix stuff because peoples vacations are short!!! Skiwiz youre digging a hole, time to get out. Im just stating my frustration with the dealer and theyre service i felt i was treated wrong and people should know. I dont need you in here knit-picking out every detail i stated. Thanks[/QU

I AM A MOUNTAIN MECHANIC , I have no fued with these people but It seems you may have issues with them . I'm not asking you to a higher standard just asking you to our standard----honest hard working people !

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
skiwiz your not making much sense to me. I have to agree with fraufarm, it would really upset me if a dealer would do that to me too. And like he was really going to rob the place with a helmet on, last time I checked, cooke city is a snowmobiling attraction in the winter, I dont think he is the first or last to walk into a gas station/restraunt/bar or where ever with their helmet on.
But anyways, I will also agree, Bearclaw Bob is one of the nicest guys in Cooke, we have been there twice this year and always eat breakfast there, him and his wife are always kind and thank us for doing business there. That is why we keep coming back. See you in a few weeks Bob!!

Thundy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bird Island, MN
My friends and I have had the same experience. we have also had some good experiences there, it seems like he has good and bad days or something. With that said I still hesitate going in there.

D

digger18

Feb 22, 2009
Otsego MN
Yep

My friends and I have had the same experience. we have also had some good experiences there, it seems like he has good and bad days or something. With that said I still hesitate going in there.

Same here. I love ridin Cooke and hes one reason why i wouldnt own a po or doo. Buy a cat. The new owner seems like he would go out of his way to help you. I know the old one did.

X
Jan 27, 2008
Minnesota
A couple things everybody should know about riding in Cooke. Your on their turf, most people who go there think they can do as they please. Your on their time, everybody who breaks down thinks their sled should be fixed RIGHT NOW. I've been to Cooke many times, one thing is the same; show a little respect you'll get some respect. So take your g0d damm helmet off.

800Cat

Nov 27, 2007
Montana
Me and my buddies have had a few run ins with the Exxon also. Few years ago my buddy blew a belt on his Polaris so we ran him back to town cause he didn't have a spare and he told them what he had for a sled and all that good stuff and they said here you go take this. He bought it and we went back out to his sled. Went to put the belt back on and it was the wrong belt. Took it back and they wouldn't return it because they told him that it was his responsibility to know what belt he needed. Which yes it is true but shouldn't you they be able to look it up and find the right belt for the machine? So he ended up having to buy two belts which one was the wrong one. Anyways go Bearclaw!

T
Feb 28, 2008
ski-wiz for not knowing any of these people and having never been to cooke you sure are butt sore about this. why all the hostility with this stuff, what gives man?:argue::party::party:

K

KJFarmer

Aug 24, 2009
North Dakota
Im wondering the same thing thrill seeker, for a guy never being to cooke or working and dealing with exxon he is sure getting worked up over the deal. Ski-wiz once you deal with them and have a actual honest opinion of the guys i just say leave your .02 cents out of it.
As for bearclaw bob, cant say enough good things about the guy, great guy to deal with and do buisness. 10 bucks to park a sled in a heated shop and 20 bucks an hour to use his tools and shop, heck of a deal i think. And the food his wife cooks is the greatest, i love morning breakfast there. Had a great time in cooke the other week cant wait to come back and visit again

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Rick is Rick.
I got to deal with Rick when I had my 900 RMK. I believe Rick wanted your helmet off so he can see your face. You might not think he is a good "counter" person, but he will remember your face forever.

Say what you want about Cooke, for them being on top of a mountain on the end of the road, they seem to stock a lot more parts then any off my local dealers combined.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
cooke

I have been to cooke several times. I have seen both sides of Rick he helped us out once to get a machine out of a bad place and was nice about it. Then on a different trip we thought we would start buying our gas there because of the help and a buddy rented a sled. Man we felt like he was doing us a huge favor by taking our money. IDK dealing with people everyday must be hard for some people? I will just say he has his days maybe more than most. O and ya Bear Claw Bob is the nicest guy in town.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I have rode Cooke since '97 and I can tell you that Rick is the kind of guy that if you show respect to him, he will show it back. I am guessing that if you would have been polite and taken off your helmet, told him the problem and said could you please look at it when you get a chance, you would have been surprised how well everything would have went.
He deals with guys all the time who want things done now and expect to be given the royal treatment just because they are on vacation. If he knows you or you show him respect, he will bend over backwards to help.
I had to rent a sled from him one time because my mod went down. I believe it was 05 and rented a 159 rev. Rode it that day and didn't think I hit anything major. Well got back and he noticed one of the skis were back a little. Anyone remember the bending nuns. Well, he could have stuck me with paying for a new nun and all the labor. He said he will probably just pull it straight and charged me like two extra hours labor. Pretty good deal I thought.

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
i think everyone is taking the helmet thing a little too far, i mean i know what youre saying about showing respect but its not like i walked in all cocky head held high and started rambling demanding service, all i did was ask if hes heard of the problem with the new pros and when he could check it out and his response was very un necessary i felt...guess i just caught him on a bad day....and the next also....and every other time ive been there....but o well its over and my sled is fixed ill just know to keep my distance a little better next time. Thanks guys

Last edited:

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
i think everyone is taking the helmet thing a little too far, i mean i know what youre saying about the respect thing but its not like walked in all cocky head held high and started rambling demanding service, all i did was ask if hes heard of the problem with the new pros and when he could check it out and his response was very un necessary i felt...guess i just caught him on a bad day....and the next also....but o well its over and my sled is fixed ill just know to keep my distance a little better next time. Thanks guys

Well put. Always have to look at both sides. I also know how Ole Ricky can be and i totally believe that he probably was a dink, but also know he has to put up with lots of people on a daily business.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Midwest Grudge

I would guess by the locations of the people who have had bad experiences one conclusion can be made...This Rick guy clearly has a vendetta against people from the midwest, specifically North Dakota and Minnesota. Maybe he is a Packers fan? Or maybe he was pissed the cats lost to North Dakota State? Maybe he didn't like the movie Fargo? (One of my personal favorites) He might be afraid of lakes...or wheat farms. All kidding aside, I can't wait to go to cooke this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features