• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CHAT BOX is GONE for ???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here is whats going on.

A day or so ago the new chat box started LOSING all of its content.
Every 30 minutes or so it would go BLANK.

Then last night, for no reason at all we had a database error that crashed the server.

After repaired the corrupted database table we noticed a MASSIVE surge in Chat Box related queries on the server. CRAZY amounts of calls were being made. Like 90 requests per member per SECOND. This brought the server to a near crash a 2nd time. We turned off the chat box and spent a couple hours trying to figure out what the heck all of those calls were doing.

Turns out they were all "refresh calls".
People's browsers checking the server to see if there was anything new inside of the chat box. But of course there is NO reason at all for 90 a second, when the internal settings for most people specify ONE update every 30 seconds.

At that point we pulled the plug on the module assuming it was Corrupted and filed a tech support request with its creator. We are waiting to hear back from him now.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As disappointed as I am that it's not available, I appreciate the update Christopher.
Right now my best guess is that the upgraded "Commercial" edition of the chat box we bought is NOT up to the load we place on it here at SnoWest. You would think the better version would be better, but its not looking that way at all right now.

Nevertheless, we wait to see what other large forum users are experiencing to see if we are alone with this issue or if it has been seen before by other users.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I hate not having the chat box when I'm at work. I can't use Live Chat on the work pc...
Sorry Kevin.
But if I turn it back on right now, there is a very high probability that it will result in the forum crashing at some point today as the overall traffic loads hits its daily peak.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Tech Support just got back to us.
They say what we are seeing is impossible and that their code couldn't do that.

We have asked them to send us the older module to re-install and replace the new super-duper upgraded module.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Tech Support just got back to us.
They say what we are seeing is impossible and that their code couldn't do that.

We have asked them to send us the older module to re-install and replace the new super-duper upgraded module.

There to busy with the monkeys which just happened to fly out of their azzes impossible as it is :blabla:
Just had gateway error earlier and ads cover the reply box ----------------->
:doh:

Premium Features