• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do these pictures tell you why this motor seized?

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Engine failure

"that's when I noticed my oil cable was broke"
How about the motor ran without oil for a period of time and the oil delete was done at the end of that period?
The engine then failed because it was damaged before the delete?

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
There is a question I haven't asked. The oil pump cable was frayed and literally hanging on by one strand. I am sure that as the strands kept breaking, the cable got longer and let the oil pump arm move farther out of adjustment. Question is, did that allow more oil or less?

revx827

Lifetime Membership
Jun 27, 2009
floatingqrs.com
I just took one apart that looks alot the same. My take was the lower rod bearing went.
Wore hole in the case. Engine hydro locked. Head/piston looked washed from coolant.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Two weeks before this happened, I was checking my plugs while on the mountain, and one of the plugs accidentally got dropped under the motor. I had to put a different plug in at that time. While looking for the plug under the engine, that's when I noticed my oil cable was broke and I decided to delete the pump.
I dont think there was a coolant leak before this happened. When the rod seized and took out the bottom of cases I think that's where all of the antifreeze came from and washed the case and rod clean of oil. There was a ton of antifreeze in the pipe when I pulled it and It poured antifreeze all over the ground right when it seized up. That's when I knew I broke the case somehow. I agree about connecting the two nipples together, they should have just been plugged of.

Unless the rod come off the crank, usually a piece of the piston gets jammed under the connnecting rod and busts the case. Then antifreeze came up and washed and hydrauliced the piston to get that much damage on the piston. Initial cause could have been from just the skirt breaking. Rod siezure from the lack of lube on the connecting rod from the antifreeze washing.

Last edited:
R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I just took one apart that looks alot the same. My take was the lower rod bearing went.
Wore hole in the case. Engine hydro locked. Head/piston looked washed from coolant.

Is it possible for the connecting rod to hit the case if the bearings are still in there? Can't remember how much room is in there.
I just did a M1000 with a rod failure and it started to hammer pretty good before it got shut off. No damage to piston and never hit case, Different egine.

Last edited:
T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
The crank case on the R engine can't take any abuse.If it's been hit inside just replace it.I did one that looked fine just light scuff marks ,but once it warmed up it started leaking and burning antifreeze

Last edited:
B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
The head looks damaged & burned where the oring seals. I don't think the injection line would fill with antifreeze during the instantananeous failure you had. I also don't think everything would be washed clean so fast. I agree with red eye that you may have had a coolant leak. Is the oring cooked or crusty? Is there exhaust residue in the coolant bottle?

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
The head looks damaged & burned where the oring seals. I don't think the injection line would fill with antifreeze during the instantananeous failure you had. I also don't think everything would be washed clean so fast. I agree with red eye that you may have had a coolant leak. Is the oring cooked or crusty? Is there exhaust residue in the coolant bottle?

Between 7 and 8 oclock on the pic of the damaged head.

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
I can't see any exhaust residue in the coolant bottle. It's empty, but I don't see anything abnormal. the o-ring is totally fine, I pulled it out, and it seams to be the same all the way around.

In the picture of the head, there is a small piece of the piston stuck to the head. (Between 7 and 8 oclock) I can't see any damage to the head. It has Trygstad domes in it, but other than that, it looks fine, just washed a little.

I was able to pull a few more pieces of the piston out of the rod bearing area, and I can see what seams to be an over heated rod.

2013-04-30_09-14-44_812.jpg

Sorry, not sure how the pic got posted upside down. Can it be turned?

Last edited:
B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
The inside edge of the dome at 7/8 oclock looks detonated. Looking at the wear marks at the outside edge of the dome, it appears that the dome may not have been centered over the cylinder. The exhaust side of the PTO piston also looks detonated & the inside edge of the cyl looks a little pitted & discolored. Detonation? On a previous post, you were jetting down to what I thought was extremely low & I suggested you might have an issue with your DPM. What did you end up with for jets?

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I can't see any exhaust residue in the coolant bottle. It's empty, but I don't see anything abnormal. the o-ring is totally fine, I pulled it out, and it seams to be the same all the way around.

In the picture of the head, there is a small piece of the piston stuck to the head. (Between 7 and 8 oclock) I can't see any damage to the head. It has Trygstad domes in it, but other than that, it looks fine, just washed a little.

I was able to pull a few more pieces of the piston out of the rod bearing area, and I can see what seams to be an over heated rod.

View attachment 207335

Sorry, not sure how the pic got posted upside down. Can it be turned?
Any play in the rod.. 3700 on bottom end is about it for the 800. I rebuild at 2,500. All your symptoms seem to point to rod bearing.

Premium Features