• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 oil Pump sticking

B
Nov 26, 2007
Moxee WA
After a few rides mine seems to have semi fixed itself. I will return with the throttle however it still sticks from time to time. You can feel the sled bog whenever it sticks and I have a nice oily splatter all over my motor and pipe from the oil spraying out when it was warming up. Had a mechanic friend tell me that my rings will never seat if this pig keeps drinking the oil like it is. Dealer really didnt know what to tell me. Most of the new sled are doing the same thing and Id be better off letting it work itself out, rather than putting a new pump on and having it stick too. I guess I just have to see what happens, thank god for a 2 year warrentee.

M
Dec 15, 2007
Moyie B.C.
My son just found the same problem on his '07 TM1000. Being a bit on the redneck side, he did something with tyraps...but has anyone found a more permanent solution? It's off warranty now.

T
sticking oil pump

Is there any recall on those pumps or what?
I noticed today that my pump is sticking to.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I will try to give it a little oil and see if it helps.
If not I will talk to my dealer about a fix.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I have noticed that after a long pull with lots of throttle, when you turn and go down or stop. The sled will not return to idle, it stays above 3000 RPM. If I flip the throttle a bunch of times, then most of the time it will drop back down to idle like normal. Is anyone else seeing this problem with the sticking oiler?

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007

My son just found the same problem on his '07 TM1000. Being a bit on the redneck side, he did something with tyraps...but has anyone found a more permanent solution? It's off warranty now.

with a pair of needle nose pliers you can get under the return spring tail that is on the post in the above pics that has the index mark on it. then pick up spring and wrap tighter around post. I did a couple times and works fine now and still have full rotation of cam arm.

on the xfire only had to remove hood, air box, and sleeve between air box and throttle bodies. easy to reach the return spring with needle nose pliers thru the bulkhead where the sleeve goes.

Last edited:
K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I have a new 08 m8 from new it splattered oil all over the place i think this may also be my problem, resealed the exhaust system 3 times now twice with mbrp can it was good for 1 ride, then on sunday i let it warm up on deck pulled it off lifted the hood and oil all over the place again this time it is coming out of the y pipe to pipe connection, taking it back to the dealer this week hopefully we can work this problem out i will post if its a fix. I actually fixed it a long time ago bought a slp pipe package haven't seen this post for a while, for me it turns out the mbrp can i bought was a dud they replaced it for me.

Last edited:

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
I just checked mine. 09 m8 if i let off the throttle slowly it will hang up the last 1/4 throttle or less. If i release throttle quickly does not stick. Anyone find a fix yet?
thanks

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
I just checked mine. 09 m8 if i let off the throttle slowly it will hang up the last 1/4 throttle or less. If i release throttle quickly does not stick. Anyone find a fix yet?
thanks

Mine does the same as yours and mines a 07 but it does not do it all the time. If you see oil all over the front of the motor then you know its stuck open for a while. I might take mine off an tear it apart to see what the snag this spring. Don't be scared of them they are really simple inside.

M
Nov 26, 2007
any updates on a fix for the sticking oil pump?

Can anyone post pics, the pics above only show a red X

Thanks

EDIT: I just seen this is in the 1M section. I have asked the mods, to move it to the M series section.

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Well, you can always do the repair recommended by cat...

...crickets...

...it works great...

Replace the oil pump?? Is that Cat;s fix for this?

What about adding a spring? Or cutting the one on the oil pump to add tension?

I am new to Cat's, just bought a 09 M8. I am trying to learn about what needs to be done to it. I thank you for the help!

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
I did the extra wrap on the spring thing (as stated above) about mid season last year and have completely forgotten about this problem. Seems that is the cure.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Whats the easiest way to put tighten up that spring with it still on the pump or is it easier to pull the arm off the pump take it out and do it. Looks like the one nut is all to get the arm off or is it just easier to do it still attached to the pump.

hillbilly

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
tulsa, oklahoma
My '09 had the same problem. First couple of rides it was fill up the oil and check the gas. It got better as the season progressed. I just went and checked it, you guessed it--hangs up. I had been wondering if this was a hydraulic bleed off condition or an internal tolerance problem. Turns out mine was neither. When i would hit the flipper it was 2-3 seconds before the arm would return. I made an extra long spray lube straw to reach the pump arms and gave it a very small dose.Problem stopped immediately. Now I don't consider it a long term fix but I wanted to see if the problem was internal or external. It seems the spacer on the shaft between the two arms is either too thick and/or too tight on the shaft causing it to hang. I'm just not curios enough to pull it off since it appers to be an external problem. Might be something to look at if you have the pump in hand. Dan

Premium Features