• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRODUCT ANOUNCEMENT: NS1 DIGITAL DASH/GPS FOR AXYS SLEDS

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Calm down, I'm not trying to bawl anyone out, it's just that the answer given didn't satisfy my curiosity, and I felt a little miffed as a result. If it could be adapted without having to make hardware changes or a major re-write to the software, then – if it were me – I'd push out a version for universal installations (not CAN-bus driven, assuming that's possible). If it's a question of support, then you could sell it unsupported. I'm not an expert, probably it isn't as simple as I may have suggested, but that doesn't make my questions irrelevant.

As for myself, I own a Garmin GPS (two, if you count my Inreach). I will probably buy a Vapor for a project sled I'm working on, for what that's worth. With regard to Polaris' offerings, they cost that much for the sake of maximizing profit. Like a lot of optional equipment, it would add a fraction of the cost on the option sheet if it was standard across the line. A fair number of people aren't interested though, and the ones who are will often be willing to pay several times the per-unit cost. This is an interesting product to me, with far more capability than the aftermarket options I've seen. Notice I haven't said it's over-priced, just that there are cheaper options that roughly match the capabilities (at the expense of smaller screens, clunky interfaces, and/or multiple devices). More choices and broader compatibility is always a plus, but it's up to the people making it to decide what's going to be profitable and what's not. Finally, I wouldn't have bothered to post if I wouldn't consider actually buying one (assuming I could use it).

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
So when can I order and have the new software updates and larger display?

Any updates for using in a Polaris Ranger/RZR/General?

Will you be at Hay Days?

I'm shipping the first batch of NS1s with the larger screen this week. Although the website says that I won't have more NS1s in stock until September 7th, there is actually one unreserved NS1 that would ship in the next week or so, which is why I haven't closed the ability to order an NS1 on the website.

I have a mount that works for the Polaris RZR, and the electrical hardware works as well. The firmware works too with the exception of the gear indicator. I have the investigation work to get that functional complete, but I haven't been able to set aside time to implement it. If you can live without the RZR's gear indicator on the gauge for a while (it would be added through a free software patch that you can download with the NS1 itself), and are willing to potentially put up with some beta testing bugs, then let send me a PM. Otherwise I imagine I'll have official support early next year.

Unfortunately I won't be at Hay Days again this year. I'll be up on the North Shore wreck diving on the Maderia!

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
NS1

How was the diving? East wind make the lake rough?

Since I have two RMK's and typically only ride one at a time can a person purchase two mounts and swap the guages back and forth?

What is the status of the new units being available?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
How was the diving? East wind make the lake rough?

Since I have two RMK's and typically only ride one at a time can a person purchase two mounts and swap the guages back and forth?

What is the status of the new units being available?

Diving was great! The east wind created a bit of surf, but only a couple people were less than dignified getting in and out of the lake. The temps in the lake were rediculously warm in the upper 50s. The first thermocline was down around 60 feet or so, and even then it was only about 53F. I actually dove the Hesper on Sunday, and climbing over the jetty and getting into the water wasn't too bad. On the way back in I had some crashers catch me by surprise and I ended up bracing myself on some rocks for a bit before I could get myself out of the water during a lull.

I'll be accepting orders for the second batch of NS1s this coming friday (September 14th). The second batch will starting shipping mid next week or so. I'm still running behind my plan on production this year, but gauge systems are definitely shipping.

As for switching the gauge system between two sleds, it is definitely possible to do so without having two gauge systems. You have two options:

1) Having two mounts, one vehicle interface, and one NS1 Display. You'd need to unscrew and transfer the vehicle interface and display from sled to sled. The cost for an extra mount is $75.
2) Having two mounts and two vehicle interfaces. This way you'd only need to transfer the NS1 display from vehicle to vehicle, along with changing the serial number in the app so that it connects to the correct vehicle interface. This option is $375.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
NS1

Sounds like the vehicle interface is a good bit of the cost of the unit compared to the display.

I suppose the cost would be the same if I purchased the second mount and interface later as opposed to puchasing with the first complete unit?

And if I say 2012 or newer what's different about the
Axys? The mount?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
The vehicle interface is definitely where most of the cost is. It's quite labor intensive to assemble the PCBs, the enclosure, and get it tested. The display portion of the gauge system is actually pretty quick to put together.

There isn't a price advantage to buying everything at once, so you can definitely get another vehicle interface and mount in the future without a penalty.

The connector on the vehicle interface is actually different between the 2012 and the AXYS. The good news is that electrically everything is the same. This means that if you wanted to share a vehicle interface between the two you can convert the 2012 to use the AXYS connector for about $25 in parts and an hour or so worth of time. No wire cutting or splicing is required since you simply take the current connector apart and put the pins into the new connector. Ican provide the instructions on how to do this.

Sounds like the vehicle interface is a good bit of the cost of the unit compared to the display.

I suppose the cost would be the same if I purchased the second mount and interface later as opposed to puchasing with the first complete unit?

And if I say 2012 or newer what's different about the
Axys? The mount?

Premium Features