• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRODUCT ANOUNCEMENT: NS1 DIGITAL DASH/GPS FOR AXYS SLEDS

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
After a couple seasons of development and testing the NS1 is finally available! It has been available since early November, but limited availability has kept me from announcing it on Snowest until now.

http://www.nextstagegauges.com/

The NS1 Gauge System is a complete replacement for the stock gauge on both Arctic Cat and Polaris sleds. It has a detachable 7 inch Android based display that you can take inside and plan routes, download maps, or get updates from your couch. You can choose from a wide variety of gauge faces including horizontal bar and needle graphs, vertical needle and bar graphs, circular needles faces, and text faces. Each of these gauge faces comes in a variety of sizes. The gauge system even has inputs to show AFR and Boost.

It has advanced GPS mapping capabilities that allow you can display street maps, aerial imagery(US only), and overlay elevation contour lines (US only). These features set this gauge system apart from any existing gauge system, including the Polaris IDD, and make it a true replacement for the standalone GPS unit that many mountain riders rely on.

Trail maps for Minnesota, Michigan, New York, and Wyoming are pre-loaded on the gauge. Wisconsin, Maine, New Hampshire, and North Dakota trail maps are available if you purchase Redpinemapping.com's GPS Sled Maps USA. In addition, limited Garmin map support is available, with more advanced support scheduled for late this season.

The NS1 Gauge System will also have the ability to Data Log and graph the collected data right on the NS1 Display. Data will be automatically recorded, and well over 50 hours of data can be stored. This feature will be available within the next couple weeks.

You can find more information on the NS1 Gauge System's features, along with how to pre-order, here:
NS1 Gauge System - Next Stage Gauges

The documentation for the NS1 Gauge System, including the Installation Manuals and User Manual, can be found here:
Documentation - Next Stage Gauges

If you have an Android tablet or phone you can test drive the NS1 Dashboard App, which is the App that runs on the NS1 Display:
NS1 Dashboard App

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Is this device portable? As in can I use this on my sled during winter and come summer use it on my rzr via a different docking system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NS1 Display can definitely be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Unfortunately I do not have complete support for the RZR at the moment. The software and firmware are there, but I don't have a mount that would work for that vehicle.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
NS1 Gauge System Data Logging Now Available

Recently I published an update to the NS1 Gauge System that adds data logging functionality. The data logging happens automatically in the background, and a new log is created whenever any of the following happen:
-The NS1 Dashboard App is started
-The sled has stopped for 15 minutes
-The "Start New Data Log" button has been touched

The NS1 User Manual has been updated so that it explains how to use the Data Logging functionality. You can find the updated NS1 User Manual here:
NS1 User Manual

For those who like to play around, the Data Logging Functionality can be found by touching the settings button in the upper right corner of the screen, and selecting "Data Logging". The graph showing the data can be panned and zoomed by swiping, pinching, and stretching gestures, just like a picture on a smartphone.

Here's an example of what the data logging functionality looks like:
picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Is it work for cellphone tracker on Android?

What you linked to looks like Malware. I'm sure you could probably install it, but you'd need to have a WIFI connection or hotspot with a smartphone for it to function, which is rare in the backcountry.

If your goal is to see other riders in your group the location sharing functionality of the NS1 is drastically better, and doesn't rely on cell service:
http://www.nextstagegauges.com/ns1-gauge-system/location-sharing

The location sharing feature uses Gotennas to share location information with a range of around 1/3rd to 3/4ths a mile or more depending on terrain.

The location sharing works with people who don't have a NS1 as well, as long as they have a Gotenna as well. At the moment they need to have an Android smartphone or tablet, but iPhones and iPads will be supported next season.

DA8CuBz.jpg

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
It will be compatible with 2019 Polaris and Arctic Cat sleds.

On the Arctic Cat side the only thing I need to update is the ability to show the iACT suspension setting and handwarmer/thumbwarmer level when changed. I already do something similar for Ski Doo.

Even without those updates the NS1 will work just fine on the 2019s though, since showing the iACT and handwarmer/thumbwarmer settings is informational only since the ECU actually controls that stuff.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
It will be compatible with 2019 Polaris and Arctic Cat sleds.

On the Arctic Cat side the only thing I need to update is the ability to show the iACT suspension setting and handwarmer/thumbwarmer level when changed. I already do something similar for Ski Doo.

Even without those updates the NS1 will work just fine on the 2019s though, since showing the iACT and handwarmer/thumbwarmer settings is informational only since the ECU actually controls that stuff.
Anything for rzr yet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Anything for rzr yet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have the firmware support for Polaris RZRs, the only thing I'm missing is a mount that is compatible with that vehicle. If you are in the Twin Cities Minnesota area, or know someone who is, I would love to use their RZR to develop a mount.

^^^^^ Yes- also for an Axys with a PIDD already??

You can definitely put an NS1 on a AXYS sled that already has a PIDD. You'll end up with a lot of improvements:
-Drastically larger screen.
-Ability to show topographic and aerial imagery.
-Ability to use Garmin compatible maps like those from VVMapping and TrakMaps.
-Ability to plan routes in Google Earth, export them to a KML file and show it on the NS1.
-Ability to exchange your locations automatically with riding partners every 15 seconds or so using Gotennas (they don't need to have an NS1 either).
-Ability to take the display inside to plan your route from the sofa.
-Automatic data logging that allows you to graph.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other improvements as well...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Izzni.

Could you update your posts with photos hosted here or at a non photobucket account... you probably can see your photobucket images on your screen... but everyone else cannot.

Details in the post above about how to host photos here.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'm curious too. The webpage is still there, can't tell if there's anything new though. My big question is why not offer a universal setup for older sleds. The hardest part would be the speed pickup, but there are existing aftermarket speed sensors. The rest would just be a simple harness, or if even that's somehow too much, just a pigtail with some basic instructions. I realize it's not going to out-sell the plug-and-play models for newer sleds, but it'd take so little effort that you wouldn't need to sell a lot for it to be worth it. Some of us still ride old sleds, but that doesn't mean we don't want to add tech to them. Also, plenty of people who'd buy this have an older backup sled, and being able to plug this right in when the main sled goes down adds value.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
You can definitely put an NS1 on a AXYS sled that already has a PIDD. You'll end up with a lot of improvements:
-Drastically larger screen.
-Ability to show topographic and aerial imagery.
-Ability to use Garmin compatible maps like those from VVMapping and TrakMaps.
-Ability to plan routes in Google Earth, export them to a KML file and show it on the NS1.
-Ability to exchange your locations automatically with riding partners every 15 seconds or so using Gotennas (they don't need to have an NS1 either).
-Ability to take the display inside to plan your route from the sofa.
-Automatic data logging that allows you to graph.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other improvements as well...

I helped with search and rescue in Alaska for years, and some in Michigan. This could be really helpful for that! Sad to say some were recoveries instead of rescues because some people didn't know where their own partners were and didn't have GPS to tell us where to even start looking.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Sorry for the late reply! I've been pretty heads down on getting NS1s in production earlier in year than usual.

Any updates since March?

There have definitely been some hardware updates, and new software updates are soon to be released!

The biggest update is the new and improved NS1 Display. Attached is a picture that shows the improvement.
attachment.php

I helped with search and rescue in Alaska for years, and some in Michigan. This could be really helpful for that! Sad to say some were recoveries instead of rescues because some people didn't know where their own partners were and didn't have GPS to tell us where to even start looking.

The feature has been designed with separations from riding partners in mind! A breadcrumb trail, direction and whether they are in motion, and indication of whether a location update has been received recently are all features of the Location Sharing that the NS1 has.

My big question is why not offer a universal setup for older sleds.
Unfortunately I don't offer any solutions for older sleds due to the amount of support users would require. To wire it in and mount it you're going to need to customize things quite a bit. The NS1 has been priced in anticipation of a certain amount of support that the average user will need to successfully use the system. A custom pigtail and mount would unfortunately expontially increase the amount of support someone would require, and may result in a poor experience with the NS1 that wouldn't occur on supported vehicles. Things like wiring diagrams, acceptable electrical input signals, and even dimensions of components would need to have documentation that currently isn't in a publish-able form.

NS1DisplaySizeUpdate.jpg

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Updated Display

So when can I order and have the new software updates and larger display?

Any updates for using in a Polaris Ranger/RZR/General?

Will you be at Hay Days?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Unfortunately I don't offer any solutions for older sleds due to the amount of support users would require. To wire it in and mount it you're going to need to customize things quite a bit. The NS1 has been priced in anticipation of a certain amount of support that the average user will need to successfully use the system. A custom pigtail and mount would unfortunately expontially increase the amount of support someone would require, and may result in a poor experience with the NS1 that wouldn't occur on supported vehicles. Things like wiring diagrams, acceptable electrical input signals, and even dimensions of components would need to have documentation that currently isn't in a publish-able form.

Well, that's unfortunate indeed – seems to me you're literally talking about half of an existing wiring harness and a couple BYO sensors in terms of hardware. I know there'd be some software work to do as well, but I can't see that being a huge endeavor. Nothing personal, but it sounds more like a "we're not interested in doing that" than a "that's not practical." I could easily wire it and mount it without any more support than labels on the pigtail wiring; those of us who ride old school sleds have wiring diagrams and know how to read them, after all. Oh well; I guess I can buy a GPS and aftermarket gauge setup for cheaper from Garmin, KOSO, and/or Trail Tech anyway.

Last edited:
R
Dec 24, 2011
Anything is possible, but it is absolutely not practical for a business endeavor. Besides, if you are blatantly stating that you can buy a trail tech and a Garmin for less, but yet you havent already bought them???? That doesnt sound like he is missing a huge market.

Any idea how long it may take to intercept someone elses CANbus, then write code to do what you want, or how many lines of code that would take. If you do not know how to do it, then you cannot tell someone else that it isnt a huge endeavor.

How many RZR and polaris sleds exist and how many smart people are making an aftermarket dash. Polaris charges about 7 bills for a GPS dash and they dont have to invest in decoding someone elses CANbus. Maybe it isnt that simple.

Premium Features