• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Google Earth

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I was just curious how many other people use this wonderful tool to scout the terrain they ride, like when you see a cool place off in the distance, do you use google earth to find how to get there?

Thunderstruck

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Helena, MT
www.bigskyx.com
We Google Earth everything we climb and scout new areas. In fact, our new movie TS7 will have all major chutes logged by Google Earth in terms of vertical climbed, total distance climbed, etc... Nice little tool! Although. . . One climb in particular was measured by GPS (helicopter altimeter) the day of the climb. . . 2460 feet of vertical. Google Earth is saying it is only 2200. . . Wonder which is more accurate? Anyway, great tool, we use it often!!!

JIM

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
you should post all of that info onto the google earth network, thatway us snowest peons can see some of it from the computer. and if they occur near us we can go and ride and check them out.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
OH yea.
I use google earth anytime I want to scout out a new area.
Find probable routes thru the trees, any play areas that look fun, etc.
VERY handy tool.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I was just curious how many other people use this wonderful tool to scout the terrain they ride, like when you see a cool place off in the distance, do you use google earth to find how to get there?

I look at it a lot but sometimes find the areas I like to look at not as clear as other areas. When you zoom in it's sometimes very grainy and other times it's as clear as a bell. Wish it would be that way for the whole globe.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
We Google Earth everything we climb and scout new areas. In fact, our new movie TS7 will have all major chutes logged by Google Earth in terms of vertical climbed, total distance climbed, etc... Nice little tool! Although. . . One climb in particular was measured by GPS (helicopter altimeter) the day of the climb. . . 2460 feet of vertical. Google Earth is saying it is only 2200. . . Wonder which is more accurate? Anyway, great tool, we use it often!!!

JIM
GPS will be much more accurate. Google Earth runs off of query based on the 3D version of the DEM (Digital Elevation Model), although it may look very accurate to what you may be climbing, it is only a rough guess calculating the features based on reading from a satelite only, not nearly as accurate as using a GPS reciever on the ground using WAAS enabled or real time correcting.

I agree that Google Earth will be awesome helping you find places to climb or a path to get somewhere, but it will only give you a rough quess of elevation and distances.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Oh yeah I am on it all the time as well. I use it to find new places to ride as well. Although, sometimes I am like ok we'll try it out there and when we get there, there is now way to get through what we thought we could get through. But I have found many places that we can go because of GE. We look at it and if we can just get thru that patch of trees we can make it to this new bowl that we have never been in.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I got my GPS talkin to my computer a while ago, it leaves digital breadcrumbs as I go and those can be dumped into a computer and plotted over google maps...

I love it!! I have definitly found some great new places with it, but also I have found places on there I wanted to go, then went there in real life and said. fk that!! It can be misleading for sure. Things that dont look that steep or tight on there, can be pretty crazy for real.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Google Rocks

I found one of my favorite routes this year thanks to Google. Lots of boondocking instead of riding the roads to my play areas. Only downfall is there has to be enough snow to cross a nasty section of river. I bought SPOT this last spring to get familiar with during the summer. It will also leave Tracks and Landmarks to be stored on Google for later use. I figure Google might get me in but SPOT 911 might get me out.:eek:

M
Dec 15, 2007
Moyie B.C.
Use it all the time. I've also used it to try to explain to lunatic tree huggers that what they want to close is "NOT" Caribou habitat. Funny thing.....they don't really care about the truth!

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
you can enable snotel overlays on GE, and all kinds of other cool stuff...

have it and link a path up to my Rhino, and can find ALL kinds of KILLER play areas....this was the first year, I charted courses and followed them via my Rhino, which was WAYYYYYYY cool!!!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I love it!! I have definitly found some great new places with it, but also I have found places on there I wanted to go, then went there in real life and said. fk that!! It can be misleading for sure. Things that dont look that steep or tight on there, can be pretty crazy for real.

yeah... seen some lines and hills on google earth and was like man,, that looks like some fun playing... got there and it looked like the side of everest... no thanks... but its still fun..

THUNDERSTRUCK... you should mark all of your major climbs on GE so we can find them

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
OK, here's an idea. What if Snowest started offering GoogleEarth overlays. If your on GE, you will see some sponsors of site data. Heck, the bigfoot group offers place markers of every bigfoot sighting along with a report. I don't know why snowest couldn't offer up the same kind of data.

All the groomed trails could be placed. Some "secret" bowls and access route. Movie locations. The data could be downloaded as a KML file, that could easily be turned into a route and uploaded to your GPS.

This along with user pictures and names for different hills. And, some personal route recordings. Really make planning a trip a lot easier.

I know a lot of peeps wouldn't give up their spot, but they might give up some old leftovers for the rest of us.

If people thought it was a good idea, I won't mind heading up such a project, with help of course. Or, does this data already exist somewhere????

Wade

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
OK, here's an idea. What if Snowest started offering GoogleEarth overlays. If your on GE, you will see some sponsors of site data. Heck, the bigfoot group offers place markers of every bigfoot sighting along with a report. I don't know why snowest couldn't offer up the same kind of data.

All the groomed trails could be placed. Some "secret" bowls and access route. Movie locations. The data could be downloaded as a KML file, that could easily be turned into a route and uploaded to your GPS.

This along with user pictures and names for different hills. And, some personal route recordings. Really make planning a trip a lot easier.

I know a lot of peeps wouldn't give up their spot, but they might give up some old leftovers for the rest of us.

If people thought it was a good idea, I won't mind heading up such a project, with help of course. Or, does this data already exist somewhere????

Wade

Sounds like a great idea.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
im not to skilled at GE but i may get into it and make a little info post so we can find spots and go places others tell us about... could make sledding a whole new adventure

Premium Features