• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trails West Trailers

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
What are the warranty terms for the Trails West trailers and components (heater, paint, etc)? Thanks.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I simply cannot imagine paying big money for a trailer that is not aluminum that will be pulled through salt slop.

May as well pile your clean laundry under the urinal while you're at it.:face-icon-small-dis

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Just traded my 29' aluminum inline for a 28' Burandt GN on Feb. 2nd. My frame is Zinc coated paint, so not galvanized, but better than most I've seen. Extremely impressed with this trailer and glad to be rid of the aluminum framed trailer. I thought it was what I wanted, but I just couldn't shake the thought out of my head as to when the frame was going to crack. The winds of Big Timber, MT are just a bad memory now. This Trails West trailer pulls like a dream.
Here in MN you pay 14,000.00 for basic high end aluminum inline, no insulation, no heat, nothing.
At 24,500.00 I think the Tails West 28' Burandt GN was a STEEL! Heat, insulated, stereo, shelves, heated coat rack and helmet cabinet, boot dryer, glove dryer, benches, and my favorite- the track dryer!

THANKS TRAILS WEST FOR BUILDING THIS TRAILER!:face-icon-small-coo

D

Dustin_R

Jan 11, 2010
Washington
These are a galvanized steel frame.

You are correct.

Here is a blurb from their website to clear up my comment:

Next a phosphatizing conversion coating is applied. Phosphating is used to treat various metals (mainly steel) to impart corrosion resistance and to promote the adhesion of finishes such as primer and paint. Chemical etching of galvanized and steel surfaces allows formation of a non-metallic phosphate layer. Phosphating treatments provide a coating of insoluble metal-phosphate crystals that adhere strongly to the base metal. It also prevents electrical corrosion between environment and base metal. In the phosphating process, acid attacks the metal surface, forming a protective coating of iron or zinc phosphate salts. This allows for better corrosion resistance and primer and paint adhesion.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Extremely impressed with this trailer and glad to be rid of the aluminum framed trailer. I thought it was what I wanted, but I just couldn't shake the thought out of my head as to when the frame was going to crack.

Do you run a steel chassis on your sled then too?
I'm sorry, I know that sounded like a smart azz remark, but I honestly do not think that a high end Aluminum trailer is more likely to fail that it's steel counterpart.
I simply have not seen ANY issues with either of my Aluma trailers.
I have a friend running a low grade aluminum trailer & he hasn't seen any issues either.

Should there be any issues, it is repairable, just as is steel.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm sorry, I know that sounded like a smart azz remark, but I honestly do not think that a high end Aluminum trailer is more likely to fail that it's steel counterpart.
I have a friend running a low grade aluminum trailer & he hasn't seen any issues either.

C'mon...there are reasons to buy aluminum and not to. For one, the Trails West trailer is likely priced much better than an aluminum trailer with the same components. There's an argument to be made on what holds up better structurally. I won't touch that one. I run a diesel truck that hauls my steel trailer fine. I would prefer a lighter trailer but at what cost? Don't get me wrong, if Trails West offered an aluminum trailer I would ask the cost. I want a loaded out trailer like the ones Trails West has but I can't spend over $20k. I'm still lingering in these threads to determine if there is a quality issue with Trails West. And if so, is it any different than the rest of the trailers?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
You are correct.

Here is a blurb from their website to clear up my comment:

Next a phosphatizing conversion coating is applied. Phosphating is used to treat various metals (mainly steel) to impart corrosion resistance and to promote the adhesion of finishes such as primer and paint. Chemical etching of galvanized and steel surfaces allows formation of a non-metallic phosphate layer. Phosphating treatments provide a coating of insoluble metal-phosphate crystals that adhere strongly to the base metal. It also prevents electrical corrosion between environment and base metal. In the phosphating process, acid attacks the metal surface, forming a protective coating of iron or zinc phosphate salts. This allows for better corrosion resistance and primer and paint adhesion.

Phosphatizing conversion and galvanization are not the same and the rust under my trailer tells me that what ever they are doing is not up to my standards.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
IMO, all trailers today are a crapshoot in regards to quality. The factories buildem as cheap as possible and hype up how great their brand is and how it's better than the others.
They are built to the lightest and cheapest standards that is allowed by law. Heck, load a 28 ft with 4 sleds, fuel and gear and it's the standard 3500 lb axles and you are overweight. Toss in the super el cheapo tires they put on and you are in for a really fun vacation.

If anyone thinks that one trailer co. will spend an extra $1,000 on bigger axles or frames then you are kidding yourself. People love cheap stuff. They don't care if it's gonna break or not. Weird but true.
I have no experience with rpm trailers so I cant comment but I feel like I'm hijacking this thread. Sorry Dustin.
Wells Fargo- cheap and built light.
Extreme boat trailers- you know, the triple axle shiny looking cool ones. Complete junk. Paint sucks, brakes suck, but they look shiny and cool so people buy them.

Last edited:

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010

Agreed. It is something I just always think about as 10 yrs. ago a prop repair shop/pontoon fabricator told me he buys galvanized trailers because he repairs so many aluminum trailers. I know I will I be doing a more thorough undercaridge cleaning than I did on my aluminum trailer from now on.

The big factor for me was the GN and talking to people that have pulled them. You just don't notice the wind and the bigger heavier Trails West trailer pulls easier than the aluminum inline. I went from a 27' bumper hitch toy hauler to a 41' 5th wheel for racing MX and realized the same thing. Just never pulled either of those trailers in the winds of ND, Montana and Wyoming.

Not knocking aluminum, just something I couldn't let go of.:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features