• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017/18 Snowy Range snow conditions

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
It actually looks like winter in Laramie this morning, which is great. Looks like the snotel only ticked up a few inches. Kind of a bummer, but certainly nice to see something.

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
New Snow

looks like 6-12" today/tonight. hopefully the snow maker starts working overtime we want to head out just before new years.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
In case anyone is wondering... yes the snotels are reading correct.

It was deep today. Most of the land mines should be covered up after this storm.

IMG_2790.jpg

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Looks like the Snowies got blessed this Christmas with some awesome and much needed snow! 4 of us are headed out Friday morning thru following Tuesday.

Anyone else going to be out there?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Even more deep today. With hurricane winds and blowing snow. Libby flats was almost impassable

picture.php

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Great picture! From what I was seeing on weather app, the window could be an issue on Saturday/Sunday as well.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
What's it looking like for next week? Some places I look show snow, others show sunshine, warm, and wind. I'm sure tree's will be good, and some honeyholes if you can find them but it's the temps being warm I'm concerned about. Looking at heading out Tuesday and riding 2-3 days.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Is the base down yet or do you still have to pick and chose where to tear it up?

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Got this from Old Corral Newsletter...

Conditions
South of HWY 130 (U)
Past 24 hours: 0"
Past 7 Days: 3-4 feet fresh Powder!
Current Base: 3-4 feet
Summary
Great powder on top of a still marginal base. It is rideable ,but still be cautious of rocks and such. Winds have been high with gusts close to 65 MPH some days, so expect wind prone areas to be a lower base and wind packed compared to what you'd find in the trees. Upcoming forecast is showing milder winds and sun that'll help settle what is there in to a great base for the season.

North of HWY 130 (U)
Past 24 hours: 0"
Past 7 Days: 4-5 feet fresh Powder!
Current Base: 4-5 feet
Summary
Great powder on an average base for this time of year. We have been hearing that the trails are marginally marked and only partially groomed. Trying to get a hold of the groomers to verify. Great snow and base to the North/Northwest, but it has been windy! Highest wind prone areas are blowing clear and/or wind packed. But once over that it is "Great" as multiple guests have put it.

I’m headed out tomorrow with 4 total, riding Saturday thru Tuesday. I’ll send some updates on riding conditions.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Lots and lots of wind in the Snowies as of late. Many areas that are usually covered up by now are still showing.

We stayed north today on O trail and got pretty close to Sand Lake. Snow is hard and challenging at times in the open areas, but some good riding to be had in trees and protected areas from wind.

I’d bet there were over 80 trailers/trucks on road today and probably 50 by 845am. Supposed to get a light dusting tonight up top and wind will let up a bit.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Final trip update from Snowy’s...

This place needs more snow and less wind. If anyone has a trip planned here in the next few weeks I’d be watching the weather closely. If the snow comes and lots of it, head here. If it doesn’t I’d stay away for awhile.

Otherwise, some okay tree riding to be had, but most of the areas off trails we were on (O, X, N, NO, K, U) are all tracked up. If you’re lucky and know the area you can find a few untouched meadows.

Ride safe everyone.

Last edited:

BeeMan800

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2008
Final trip update from Snowy’s...

This place needs more snow and less wind. If anyone has a trip planned here in the next few weeks I’d be watching the weather closely. If the snow comes and lots of it, head here. If it doesn’t I’d :spider:stay away for awhile.

Otherwise, some okay tree riding to be had, but most of the areas off trails we were on (O, X, N, NO, K, U) are all tracked up. If you’re lucky and know the area you can find a few untouched meadows.

Ride safe everyone.

Less wind has never ever been an option up there. Lol

rmk156

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Edgerton MN
We Rode Albany on Sat.......Not very good, they really lost a lot of snow with the 40 degree days.....Very limited off trail.

Sunday the 31st we rode out of Greenrock. Much better however a lot of bare spots on the tar heading up to ****house hill. Most everything is tracked up. We rode the west side all day. Decent rideable snow, Powder in the trees.

The snowiest could use another big dump soon.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Sorry for tracking it all up GPSLewie Was pretty good early last week.

No problem at all! We still enjoyed the trip, and the snow was good in spots even where tracked up. Issue was how the wind absolutely decimated areas that are typically covered up by now.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Is there anything in the forecast? Supposed to head out on Wednesday, 12 hour trip. The forecast I've looked at are slim to none

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I’d be staying home if I were you/your group.

Premium Features