• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me choose

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Question for the masses.
I have been riding an M8 since 2011. It's a great sled and I get around on it all right. But it's time for a new one.
Which new sled rides most like an m8? Which one will be easiest for me to move too? Or are they all different enough that it doesn't really matter?
I'm not a brand loyal guy so I'm up for any. I'm leaning toward a pro or a gen 4 summit but not really sure. I'll likely be purchasing a hold over 2018.
Any advice out there?
Big T

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
All The 18's are very different from the Mseries.
18 Mcat is phenomenal! Will take some learning, coming from the M.
18 Pro is ok, i honestly tried to like it but just not right for me.
18 Doo, too many issues for me and goofy handling. Wasn't willing to take the gamble.

A good dealer is important, second to handling of the sled.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Any of the new chassis sleds will be a bit of a "re-learning" curve but it will be for the better. Honestly, if you're not in a hurry I would suggest taking a trip or two and rent a few different machines and see what "you" like and what works the best for "you".

Personally I'm a Polaris guy and the new Axys is well.......awesome!! and the new 850 that is coming, I'm is that much more fun!!

The new Cat seems legit....finally and the new Ski Doo is cool but as mentioned a few issues. The handling on the Doo is different all together but after a weekend or two, I think a guy could adjust to it.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Stick with a Cat. You'll feel most at home on one. But if you find a smokin' deal on a Pro, then don't pass it up. Get the thought of owning a Doo out of your head. You won't like it. The Doo handles very differently and IMHO(thru experience) ranks last in handling, dependability and durability in the mountain sled segment. They rank first in trail sleds, but that's another topic...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Question for the masses.
I have been riding an M8 since 2011. It's a great sled and I get around on it all right. But it's time for a new one.
Which new sled rides most like an m8? Which one will be easiest for me to move too? Or are they all different enough that it doesn't really matter?
I'm not a brand loyal guy so I'm up for any. I'm leaning toward a pro or a gen 4 summit but not really sure. I'll likely be purchasing a hold over 2018.
Any advice out there?
Big T
The 2018 Cats works incredibly well and has surprisingly similar handling to the M chassis you are very at home on.Obviously the newer taller/lighter/narrower chassis handles FAR better then the M. For power/performance/durability it is IMO the 2018's sled of the year. The clutching/motor/track combo make this sled get up and build speed incredibly fast. Also it seems to dig itself out of holes like no other sled. They just keep digging until they are upside down and heading backwards. They do still have a little handling characteristics of the older sleds so it feels a little "clunky" to me. But again, this is nit picking. I put a couple hundred miles on one this winter and really enjoyed it.

The 16-18 axys is an awesome sled (I have 2) But they do not have the power/traction/durability the cat has. They just have hands down the MOST agile chassis. They can be found a little bit cheaper which does make them appealing and coming off the M I think you could learn one fairly easily. Its light and easy to ride. Takes a while to get used to not "overriding" it. The problem is a base model 155 or 163 2.6" track really falls off traction wise compared to the cat 3". Again, very capable sled, but it just does not generate the same "thrust" in the snow that the cats do. Also feels like a 600 compared to cats 800.

Dont even think of a G4, They have great power and traction and are hands down the smoothest sleds of the list. BUT, the handling is like trying to ride a wet noodle. In deeper snow its good but add any sort of crust or hard snow and it becomes quite the handful. The chassis is just not ment for technical riding. I rode the goofy post over the motor ski-doo geometry from '06-'12 after 2 seasons riding Axy's now it makes me wonder how I managed on them. Ive spent a few days on the G4 and it for sure has some plus sides but the negatives just make it hard to want to own one.

Last edited:

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Thanks for the info gents. I hadn't really considered a cat because of the cost. Honestly haven't looked at prices since last fall when they were the most expensive.
Now I gotta check them out. My M is definitely the most reliable sled I have owned hands down. It just keeps going.
Supprised to here about the doo. I had heard only good from local riders. And we have a couple great doo dealers around here. One is a Poo and Cat dealer as well.

Thanks again!

BigT

Premium Features